Pulse Audio, Yet Another Linux Engineering Failure.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista General Discussion' started by Doctor Smith, Apr 21, 2009.

  1. Doctor Smith

    Doctor Smith Guest

    http://linsux.org/index.php?topic=948.0

    http://www.linsux.org/uploads/linsuxformat-issue1.pdf

    Linux has been notorious for supporting more than one sound system. ALSA
    (Advanced Linux Sound System) and OSS (Open Sound System) . Other systems
    build upon it, such as PortAudio and JACK. In an attempt to unify them,
    Linux devs forever ****ed up a setup that only needed a bit of extra
    configuration to properly work.

    " PulseAudio was the retarded inbred child that came out of the wreckage.
    With only support for unifying OSS and ALSA, many multimedia applications
    get left out in the cold. Take Audacity, for example. The popular recording
    app is usually measured against prosumer applications such as Goldwave.
    Audacity itself is based upon the WxWidget toolset, and the multimedia
    framework it uses is PortAudio. Currently, no complete backend for
    PortAudio exists."

    " Users have to disable PulseAudio and experience the joys of choppy audio
    playback. Did the recording **** up, or is it the playback?"

    " Who knows, the fact remains that editing in that app suddenly becomes a
    major pain to use. Are you on the professional grade of recording, and not
    give a shit about ¡§average¡¨ apps like Audacity? Well, shit, Ardour and JACK
    are pretty well-respected, right?"

    "Obviously, it isn¡¦t respected enough to get proper bugfixes from the
    PulseAudio devs. The JACK framework becomes horribly incompatible with
    PulseAudio and, say, an OSS driver for a Logitech microphone."

    " It becomes even worse on mics that were deemed by Microsoft and Apple to
    ¡§Just Work¡¨. Even if you get Ardour to record, you won¡¦t be able to edit
    for very long. "

    "Indeed, multimedia apps on Linux seem to collapse under their own weight.
    Ardour crashes within the span of five minutes. Renowned video apps such as
    KDEnlive, LiVES, or Cinelerra all segfault from PulseAudio-based problems.
    "

    "What do the devs do about it? NOTHING. Look at their mailing lists and
    forum discussions. Between their pompous cries of ¡§READ THE FAQ¡¨ and ¡§CHECK
    THE WIKI¡¨, newcomers to PulseAudio struggle to understand the overly
    complex and bloated sound system."

    " What¡¦s worse, some apps choose to ONLY choose one framework or another.
    On Gnome, this is less of an issue. On KDE, XFCE, Blackbox, E17, GNUStep,
    and other desktop environments, it¡¦s KIND OF A BIG ****ING DEAL. Not being
    able to listen to songs =FAIL Not being able to listen to your own
    recordings = DOUBLE FAIL. And don¡¦t get me started on games. If OpenArena
    plays sound, and Tremulous doesn¡¦t, and PulseAudio is set as your main
    audio framework, and you configured everything¡Kwell¡K You¡¦re on your own."

    And that ladies and gentlemen is a perfect example of why Linux sucks.
    And it does.

    Doctor Smith, Apr 21, 2009

  2. Doctor Smith

    Bill Yanaire Guest

    <SNIP SHIT>

    Yes, you must be roy's bitch. You bend over for him constantly. What a
    loser.

    Bill Yanaire, Apr 21, 2009

  3. Doctor Smith

    Hadron Guest

    Doctor Smith <> writes:

    > http://linsux.org/index.php?topic=948.0
    >
    > http://www.linsux.org/uploads/linsuxformat-issue1.pdf
    >
    > Linux has been notorious for supporting more than one sound system. ALSA
    > (Advanced Linux Sound System) and OSS (Open Sound System) . Other systems
    > build upon it, such as PortAudio and JACK. In an attempt to unify them,
    > Linux devs forever ****ed up a setup that only needed a bit of extra
    > configuration to properly work.
    >

    > " PulseAudio was the retarded inbred child that came out of the wreckage.
    > With only support for unifying OSS and ALSA, many multimedia applications
    > get left out in the cold. Take Audacity, for example. The popular recording
    > app is usually measured against prosumer applications such as Goldwave.
    > Audacity itself is based upon the WxWidget toolset, and the multimedia
    > framework it uses is PortAudio. Currently, no complete backend for
    > PortAudio exists."
    >

    > " Users have to disable PulseAudio and experience the joys of choppy audio
    > playback. Did the recording **** up, or is it the playback?"
    >

    > " Who knows, the fact remains that editing in that app suddenly becomes a
    > major pain to use. Are you on the professional grade of recording, and not
    > give a shit about “average†apps like Audacity? Well, shit, Ardour and JACK
    > are pretty well-respected, right?"
    >

    > "Obviously, it isn’t respected enough to get proper bugfixes from the
    > PulseAudio devs. The JACK framework becomes horribly incompatible with
    > PulseAudio and, say, an OSS driver for a Logitech microphone."
    >
    > " It becomes even worse on mics that were deemed by Microsoft and Apple to
    > “Just Workâ€. Even if you get Ardour to record, you won’t be able to edit
    > for very long. "
    >

    > "Indeed, multimedia apps on Linux seem to collapse under their own weight.
    > Ardour crashes within the span of five minutes. Renowned video apps such as
    > KDEnlive, LiVES, or Cinelerra all segfault from PulseAudio-based problems.
    > "
    >

    > "What do the devs do about it? NOTHING. Look at their mailing lists and
    > forum discussions. Between their pompous cries of “READ THE FAQ†and “CHECK
    > THE WIKIâ€, newcomers to PulseAudio struggle to understand the overly
    > complex and bloated sound system."
    >

    > " What’s worse, some apps choose to ONLY choose one framework or another.
    > On Gnome, this is less of an issue. On KDE, XFCE, Blackbox, E17, GNUStep,
    > and other desktop environments, it’s KIND OF A BIG ****ING DEAL. Not being
    > able to listen to songs =FAIL Not being able to listen to your own
    > recordings = DOUBLE FAIL. And don’t get me started on games. If OpenArena
    > plays sound, and Tremulous doesn’t, and PulseAudio is set as your main
    > audio framework, and you configured everything…well… You’re on your own."
    >

    > And that ladies and gentlemen is a perfect example of why Linux sucks.
    > And it does.

    Linux audio is a complete and utter mess. And "choice" has made is
    so. How? Rather than concentrate on fixing the tricky bits in existing
    mountains of amateur code, newboyz decide to create a new one. And as
    soon as they hit the tricky bits .... yes, it starts all over again.

    Even TRYING to FIGURE OUT what the different "things" in a Linux audio
    setup can do is difficult. never mind fixing them or reconfiguring
    them.

    --
    In view of all the deadly computer viruses that have been spreading
    lately, Weekend Update would like to remind you: when you link up to

    Hadron, Apr 21, 2009
  4. After takin' a swig o' grog, Doctor Smith belched out
    this bit o' wisdom:

    <Garbage snipped>

    Looks like the flatfish is bothering the Linux and Windows groups with his
    inane garbage again.

    --
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would
    be a merrier world.

    Chris Ahlstrom, Apr 21, 2009
  5. Doctor Smith

    Bill Yanaire Guest

    "Chris Ahlstrom" <> wrote in message
    > After takin' a swig o' grog, Doctor Smith belched out
    > this bit o' wisdom:
    >
    > <Garbage snipped>
    >
    > Looks like the flatfish is bothering the Linux and Windows groups with his
    > inane garbage again.

    Maybe old Doctor Smith was rejected by the Sheep again and is pissed off

    Bill Yanaire, Apr 21, 2009
  6. Doctor Smith

    Doctor Smith Guest

    On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 10:10:20 -0700, Bill Yanaire wrote:

    > <SNIP SHIT>
    >
    > Yes, you must be roy's bitch. You bend over for him constantly. What a
    > loser.

    You are mixing me up with Chrish Ahlstrom = Liarmutt = Linosuck = Linonut.
    Chris's head is so far up Schestowitz's ass, if you tickle Chris's feet,
    Roy Schestowitz laughs.

    Doctor Smith, Apr 21, 2009
  7. Doctor Smith

    Ezekiel Guest

    "Doctor Smith" <> wrote in message

> [...]
    > forum discussions. Between their pompous cries of ¡§READ THE FAQ¡¨ and
    > ¡§CHECK
    > THE WIKI¡¨, newcomers to PulseAudio struggle to understand the overly
    > complex and bloated sound system."
    >

    > " What¡¦s worse, some apps choose to ONLY choose one framework or another.
    > On Gnome, this is less of an issue. On KDE, XFCE, Blackbox, E17, GNUStep,
    > and other desktop environments, it¡¦s KIND OF A BIG ****ING DEAL. Not
    > being
    > able to listen to songs =FAIL Not being able to listen to your own
    > recordings = DOUBLE FAIL. And don¡¦t get me started on games. If OpenArena
    > plays sound, and Tremulous doesn¡¦t, and PulseAudio is set as your main
    > audio framework, and you configured everything¡Kwell¡K You¡¦re on your
    > own."
    >

    > And that ladies and gentlemen is a perfect example of why Linux sucks.

    This explains why about 60% of the time that I start Linux there's no sound
    and I need to manually start and stop alsa in order to get sound working.

    Ezekiel, Apr 21, 2009
  8. Doctor Smith

    dawhead Guest

    On Apr 21, 12:57 pm, Doctor Smith <>
    wrote:

    [ blah blah blah blah ]

    the list of what you don't seem to know or understand seems long. we
    could start with:

    * the differing goals of systems like ALSA (hardware abstraction)
    and PulseAudio
    (network audio, device switching, global per-application
    control, and more)
    * just as you wouldn't run a significant webserver on a generic
    install, you don't
    do prosumer let along pro music recording/playback on a
    generic install
    * the presence of several different sound systems on Windows that
    are capable
    of causing similar issues for users there (MME, WDM, ASIO and
    more)
    * the fact that no application is expected to ever "support
    PulseAudio"

    i could go on, but what's the point. its COLA.

    dawhead, Apr 21, 2009
  9. Doctor Smith

    dawhead Guest

    On Apr 21, 7:51 pm, Tim Smith <> wrote:

    > Apple doesn't need separate sound systems for consumer, prosumer, and
    > pro.  Why does Linux?

    Why not ask Microsoft? After all, they do everything so well, I guess
    we decided to copy them.

    Or did you actually want a serious reply to that? on COLA?

    dawhead, Apr 22, 2009
  10. Doctor Smith

    Doctor Smith Guest

    On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 16:51:32 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article
    > <>,
    > dawhead <> wrote:
    >> * just as you wouldn't run a significant webserver on a generic
    >> install, you don't
    >> do prosumer let along pro music recording/playback on a
    >> generic install

    > Apple doesn't need separate sound systems for consumer, prosumer, and
    > pro. Why does Linux?

    Neither does Windows, really.

    Click ASIO or WDM in the application.
    That's it.
    Most people find ASIO allows for lower latencies.

    Linux is a total mess when it comes to sound.

    Doctor Smith, Apr 22, 2009