Publishing help

KC Rippstein hotmail com>

Hello! We have an intranet created in FP03 which is stored on a common
network drive. It has never been published. People have been complaining
that as the site grows and grows over time, it's hard to find exactly what
they are looking for, so I am going to add a search component which requires
publishing the site to our server (which has FP extensions installed).

My question is how do I convert my existing home page (and all related
pages) to a web? Will they exist in the same location and merely be
"converted" to a web, or do I need to store them in a new location on the
network?

I also hyperlink to all sort of files located all over our network drive.
Will I have to import each of these files one by one into the new root folder
for the site?

Many thanks!
-KC

Thomas A. Rowe

All you should have to do is open the current location (File menu | Open Site) and the publish to
http://servername or whatever the server admin tells you is the correct path.

Thomas A. Rowe
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

http://www.Ecom-Data.com

KC Rippstein hotmail com>

So it's fine that our html pages hyperlink to all sorts of files located
outside the place where my home page currently resides?

Thomas A. Rowe

All of your web content needs to be in a single web/site folder.

Thomas A. Rowe
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

http://www.Ecom-Data.com

KC Rippstein hotmail com>

Sorry, Thomas, I have just one more question. I read the following from
another one of your posts:
You must first have a web or site open in FP via File Menu | Open Web /
Site, then all content/folders must be created or imported into this open web
/ site, then you insert or link to your pages or files. This will ensure that
all of your links are relative to the web / site when you upload the web /
site to a remote web host.

Since I have successfully imported all folders and files into my new web, I
think (if I am reading your statement above correctly) that I must always
- save new files to any location I want (say, a Temp folder on my desktop),
- open my web in FP,
- import the new files into their appropriate folder locations in the web,
- delete the folders from Temp.
This would mean I CANNOT just File|Save As or just drag and drop a file into
that web, open my web in FP, edit an html doc to link to my new file, then
publish the web and expect the remote location to understand. Is that right?

Most grateful,
KC

Thomas A. Rowe

If I understand correctly...

Why not avoid the extra steps, just open your local copy of your web in FP, then create your content
in the open web via FP or for images, etc. drag-n-drop them into your current open web via FP.

You can not save directly into the folder holding your web content from another application, without
causing problems.

Thomas A. Rowe
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

http://www.Ecom-Data.com

KC Rippstein hotmail com>

Thank you, Thomas. I have 2 reasons why I'm hoping to keep some element of
"working folder" when I have this web:
- first, we have many documents stored in respective organized
subfolders...when we import new files, we need to assign them to a specific
location within the web's folder structure
- second, many documents are dynamic, requiring updates rather than total
replacement (spreadsheets mostly, but some Word docs as well), so may I
simply open the document, make my changes, and save it without opening my web
in FP so long as I do not rename the file?

Tom [Pepper] Willett

When working on FrontPage pages, you need to open the web in FrontPage to
make any changes. That's how it's designed to work.
--
===
Tom [Pepper] Willett
"KC Rippstein hotmail com>" <kcrippstein<atdot> wrote in message
: Thank you, Thomas. I have 2 reasons why I'm hoping to keep some element
of
: "working folder" when I have this web:
: - first, we have many documents stored in respective organized
: subfolders...when we import new files, we need to assign them to a
specific
: location within the web's folder structure
: - second, many documents are dynamic, requiring updates rather than total
: replacement (spreadsheets mostly, but some Word docs as well), so may I
: simply open the document, make my changes, and save it without opening my
web
: in FP so long as I do not rename the file?
:
:
:
: "Thomas A. Rowe" wrote:
:
: > If I understand correctly...
: >
: > Why not avoid the extra steps, just open your local copy of your web in
FP, then create your content
: > in the open web via FP or for images, etc. drag-n-drop them into your
current open web via FP.
: >
: > You can not save directly into the folder holding your web content from
another application, without
: > causing problems.
: >
: > --
: > ==============================================
: > Thomas A. Rowe
: > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
: >
: > http://www.Ecom-Data.com
: > ==============================================
: >
: >
/
: > > Site, then all content/folders must be created or imported into this
open web
: > > / site, then you insert or link to your pages or files. This will
ensure that
: > > all of your links are relative to the web / site when you upload the
web /
: > > site to a remote web host.
: > >
[...]
: > > "Thomas A. Rowe" wrote:
: > >
: > >> All of your web content needs to be in a single web/site folder.
: > >>
: > >> --
: > >> ==============================================
: > >> Thomas A. Rowe
: > >> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
: > >>
: > >> http://www.Ecom-Data.com
: > >> ==============================================
: > >>
: > >>
: > >> "KC Rippstein hotmail com>" <kcrippstein<atdot> wrote in message
: > >> : > >> > So it's fine that our html pages hyperlink to all sorts of files
located
: > >> > outside the place where my home page currently resides?
: > >> >
: > >> >
: > >> > "Thomas A. Rowe" wrote:
: > >> >
: > >> >> All you should have to do is open the current location (File menu
| Open Site) and the publish
: > >> >> http://servername or whatever the server admin tells you is the
correct path.
: > >> >>
: > >> >> --
: > >> >> ==============================================
: > >> >> Thomas A. Rowe
: > >> >> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
: > >> >>
: > >> >> http://www.Ecom-Data.com
: > >> >> ==============================================
: > >> >>
: > >> >>
: > >> >> "KC Rippstein hotmail com>" <kcrippstein<atdot> wrote in message
: > >> >> : > >> >> > Hello! We have an intranet created in FP03 which is stored on a
common
: > >> >> > network drive. It has never been published. People have been
complaining
: > >> >> > that as the site grows and grows over time, it's hard to find
exactly what
: > >> >> > they are looking for, so I am going to add a search component
which requires
: > >> >> > publishing the site to our server (which has FP extensions
installed).
[...]

Thomas A. Rowe

Your current method will lead to problems, as any time you open a file within your web from outside
of FP, FP has no way of knowing that the file has been updated, and therefore will not update it's
hidden index files.

Thomas A. Rowe
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

http://www.Ecom-Data.com