psu wattage????????????

Reaction score
i have an ACER ASPIRE P4 2.4,80gb,256 ram....i think.How do i find out what wattage my psu is as i am going to buy a new graphics card(radeon 9600 pro.....wot do u think?)and i keep reading about people not having enough power to run certain graphics cards......help me im a dumb ass

Reaction score
it should say on the PSU itself!

alternatively you could just try it with a new graphics card and if you have probs then increase power, 400+ watt PSU will power your average system with any graphics card.

J

Reaction score
Hi guys im new to these forum's and was browsing the topics about PSU's,hence why im posting in this thread:)

Anyway the reason im looking into PSU's is the fact i bought a bigger graphics card and i had major problems getting it to work properly.It caused my pc to run real sluggish and games were a complete no no!! it would freeze up or crash hard to rebooting itself...aaargh!
I tried everything and eventualy looked at what wattage my PSU is and i found it to be a sucky 200w:angry: ..

The card i was trying to run was a sapphire 9600agp 256mb which i thought was knackered and have now sent back to the supplier.The problem is if it was just an under power problem and they find its actually ok im gonna look pretty stupid:crazy:

So even with my current card a geforce 4ti 64mb im still underpowered but runs with no problems..i do however understand a 9600 demands much more.

Ok so to my question..firstly heres my system specs....

HP 461.uk
sis 650 chipset
40gb hd
Crucial 2100 total 768mb ddr-sdram
P4 1.6ghz
Nvidia Geforce 4ti 64mb AGp8x
Win xp home sp1

I basically need a bigger PSU as my pc stands now,in the near future i want a p4 processor with minimum 2.8 and a good graphics card + a good soundcard.
And from what ive read the Sapphire sucks so its just as well its gone back:)
So what psu would anyone recommend to run the above upgardes?..do i just go as big as possible for a 550w or would a 400w suffice?
Also what do i need to look out for when buying one are they all universal for my case type and system..can i just buy any and do they all connect the same??

Sorry if my questions are a little nooby but im just trying to get things right!!:spin:

Advice much appreciated:brow:

Reaction score
Hi just to add to things ive found my psu is a micro atx unit does anyone know of a good supplier or any links to any micro atx psu's as the ones ive found arnt cheap?..i cant fit a full size unit so im pretty stuck with this 200w rubbish at the moment:(

Reaction score
Hi PorkChop

You might find that a new tower is a better buy than just a psu
You don't need to pay a fortune to get one with the sort of psu you need
You will then avoid the problem of what physical size your psu needs to be
It would't be a huge problem to shift all of your hardware into the new tower

hope that helps

Ask a Question