PST problem on 2003 Server

David H. Lipman

I hope this is the *best* place to post this problem...

For several years my NT4 Domain users have had zero problems storing and using PST files on
their personal mapped drives. This was true from Win98 --> Win2K --> WinXP. From Office
97 --> Office XP.

Because NT4 server is now a dead product, we received an edict this year that by Dec 31, all
NT4 Servers must be upgraded or removed from the "corporate" LAN. I upgraded my NT4 Servers
to Win2003 Server and since doing so, I have been having users with PST problems.

When they try to open their respective personal folders, they receive a dialogue box
indicating that the PST was not closed properly and the file is being checked. They get a
completion histogram and a countdown for how long the examination of the PST file will take.
They may or may not be able to access their data. Often Outlook XP SP3 just "hangs". I
will then copy the PST to a local drive and run the PST Repair tool on the file and it will
indicate no problems. However there remain access problems. I then created an empty PST
and copied the data from the alleged damaged PST to the empty PST. I then copied the
replacement PST file onto the personal mapped drive.

They would be OK -- but only for a while. I would then have to run the repair tool and copy
data from the damaged PST to an empty PST to get fix the problem. However, the problem
repeats itself.

I contacted our centralized MIS/IS Help Desk and opened a Service Ticket. I was then
contacted by a member of the Exchange Server Mail Team and he provided me with a MS article
entitled "Personal folder files are unsupported over a LAN or over a WAN link (297019)",
told me to move all PST files to the local hard disk, and subsequently closed the Service
Ticket.

I would prefer to keep my user's PST files on the main File Server because daily Arcserve
backup jobs are made and you can't guarantee the actions of the end-user to back up their
own files. In addition, I have had "zero" problems on NT4 server for years.

Is there anyway to bypass this problem or tweak the Win2003 Server ?

Thanx....
Dave

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

David said:
I hope this is the *best* place to post this problem...

For several years my NT4 Domain users have had zero problems storing
and using PST files on their personal mapped drives. This was true
from Win98 --> Win2K --> WinXP. From Office 97 --> Office XP.

You are a very lucky person indeed. MS doesn't support this, and it has
usually caused major problems when I've seen it.
[...]

Yes - buy Exchange server! There is no workaround unless you want to use
batch files/scheduled jobs to copy your data to the server daily/nightly for
backup. It isn't supported period.

David H. Lipman

Lanwench:

What do you mean "Yes - buy Exchange server! "
What do you think we have ~8000 users on one campus alone using ?
I can't tell you how many are in the GAL but lets say "its is a large number" :)

I don't understand how I am lucky. More than 6.5 years 24x7 of NT4 (since we dropped
cc:Mail and Netware) using various Office versions on various OSs. I don't see luck as
being a part of the equation. I see something introduced that caused the problem and it is
something with Win2003 Server.

Dave

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" <[email protected]>
wrote in message | David H. Lipman wrote:
| > I hope this is the *best* place to post this problem...
| >
| > For several years my NT4 Domain users have had zero problems storing
| > and using PST files on their personal mapped drives. This was true
| > from Win98 --> Win2K --> WinXP. From Office 97 --> Office XP.
|
| You are a very lucky person indeed. MS doesn't support this, and it has
| usually caused major problems when I've seen it.
| >
| > Because NT4 server is now a dead product, we received an edict this
| > year that by Dec 31, all NT4 Servers must be upgraded or removed from
| > the "corporate" LAN. I upgraded my NT4 Servers to Win2003 Server and
| > since doing so, I have been having users with PST problems.
| >
| > When they try to open their respective personal folders, they receive
| > a dialogue box indicating that the PST was not closed properly and
| > the file is being checked. They get a completion histogram and a
| > countdown for how long the examination of the PST file will take.
| > They may or may not be able to access their data. Often Outlook XP
| > SP3 just "hangs". I will then copy the PST to a local drive and run
| > the PST Repair tool on the file and it will indicate no problems.
| > However there remain access problems. I then created an empty PST
| > and copied the data from the alleged damaged PST to the empty PST. I
| > then copied the replacement PST file onto the personal mapped drive.
| >
| > They would be OK -- but only for a while. I would then have to run
| > the repair tool and copy data from the damaged PST to an empty PST to
| > get fix the problem. However, the problem repeats itself.
| >
| > I contacted our centralized MIS/IS Help Desk and opened a Service
| > Ticket. I was then contacted by a member of the Exchange Server Mail
| > Team and he provided me with a MS article entitled "Personal folder
| > files are unsupported over a LAN or over a WAN link (297019)", told
| > me to move all PST files to the local hard disk, and subsequently
| > closed the Service Ticket.
| >
| > I would prefer to keep my user's PST files on the main File Server
| > because daily Arcserve backup jobs are made and you can't guarantee
| > the actions of the end-user to back up their own files. In addition,
| > I have had "zero" problems on NT4 server for years.
| >
| > Is there anyway to bypass this problem or tweak the Win2003 Server ?
|
| Yes - buy Exchange server! There is no workaround unless you want to use
| batch files/scheduled jobs to copy your data to the server daily/nightly for
| backup. It isn't supported period.
| >
| > Thanx....
| > Dave

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

David said:
Lanwench:

What do you mean "Yes - buy Exchange server! "
What do you think we have ~8000 users on one campus alone using ?

Why PST files, then?
http://www.exchangefaq.org/faq/Exchange-5.5/Why-PST-=-BAD-/q/Why-PST-=-BAD/qid/1209
You are aware your data is taking up tons more space in PSTs than in the
Exchange stores, right?
I can't tell you how many are in the GAL but lets say "its is a large
number" :)

I don't understand how I am lucky. More than 6.5 years 24x7 of NT4
(since we dropped cc:Mail and Netware) using various Office versions
on various OSs. I don't see luck as being a part of the equation. I
see something introduced that caused the problem and it is something
with Win2003 Server.

Nope, problems galore for many, server OS irrelevant. I promise. You have
just been lucky.
Dave

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
You are a very lucky person indeed. MS doesn't support this, and it
has usually caused major problems when I've seen it.

Yes - buy Exchange server! There is no workaround unless you want to
use batch files/scheduled jobs to copy your data to the server
daily/nightly for backup. It isn't supported period.

David Elders

I think what he meant was that you are lucky it ever worked without
problems. Outlook PST's were never intended to be used that way. They're
intended primarily for standalone usage rather than workgroup usage.
Congratulations on not having had issues thus far along the way but you're
trying to fit a square peg into a round hole here...

Lanwench also suggested a reasonable workaround if you insist on using PSTs
this way - set-up a batch file to copy the PST from the client to the Server
prior to the Arcserve backup running...

David

David H. Lipman said:
> [...]

| > I contacted our centralized MIS/IS Help Desk and opened a Service
| > Ticket. I was then contacted by a member of the Exchange Server Mail
| > Team and he provided me with a MS article entitled "Personal folder
| > files are unsupported over a LAN or over a WAN link (297019)", told
| > me to move all PST files to the local hard disk, and subsequently
| > closed the Service Ticket.
| >
| > I would prefer to keep my user's PST files on the main File Server
| > because daily Arcserve backup jobs are made and you can't guarantee
| > the actions of the end-user to back up their own files. In addition,
| > I have had "zero" problems on NT4 server for years.
| >
| > Is there anyway to bypass this problem or tweak the Win2003 Server ?
|
| Yes - buy Exchange server! There is no workaround unless you want to use
| batch files/scheduled jobs to copy your data to the server daily/nightly

David H. Lipman

David E.:

Coping .4GB to 1.2GB PST files by dozens of personnel, with some being real squirrels with
more than two or three, it is just NOT a viable option. It would generate too mach traffic
and will take too long even at 100MB/s Full-Duplex.

Now I must ask what you mean by "...intended primarily for standalone usage rather than
workgroup usage..."
I'm not talking about shared personal folders, I'm just talking about Outlook XP PST files
being stored on a server rather on the local hard disk. I just can't fathom WHY this is a
problem nor for what reasons.

Dave L.

| I think what he meant was that you are lucky it ever worked without
| problems. Outlook PST's were never intended to be used that way. They're
| intended primarily for standalone usage rather than workgroup usage.
| Congratulations on not having had issues thus far along the way but you're
| trying to fit a square peg into a round hole here...
|
| Lanwench also suggested a reasonable workaround if you insist on using PSTs
| this way - set-up a batch file to copy the PST from the client to the Server
| prior to the Arcserve backup running...
|
| David
|

| | > Lanwench:
| >
| > What do you mean "Yes - buy Exchange server! "
| > What do you think we have ~8000 users on one campus alone using ?
| > I can't tell you how many are in the GAL but lets say "its is a large
| > number" :)
| >
| > I don't understand how I am lucky. More than 6.5 years 24x7 of NT4 (since
| > we dropped
| > cc:Mail and Netware) using various Office versions on various OSs. I
| > don't see luck as
| > being a part of the equation. I see something introduced that caused the
| > problem and it is
| > something with Win2003 Server.
| >
| > Dave
| >

| > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
| > <[email protected]>

| > |
| > | You are a very lucky person indeed. MS doesn't support this, and it has
| > | usually caused major problems when I've seen it.

| > |
| > | Yes - buy Exchange server! There is no workaround unless you want to use
| > | batch files/scheduled jobs to copy your data to the server daily/nightly
| > for
| > | backup. It isn't supported period.

| > |
| > |

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

David said:
David E.:

Coping .4GB to 1.2GB PST files by dozens of personnel, with some
being real squirrels with more than two or three, it is just NOT a
viable option. It would generate too mach traffic and will take too
long even at 100MB/s Full-Duplex.

Now I must ask what you mean by "...intended primarily for standalone
usage rather than workgroup usage..."
I'm not talking about shared personal folders, I'm just talking about
Outlook XP PST files being stored on a server rather on the local
hard disk. I just can't fathom WHY this is a problem nor for what
reasons.

They simply were not meant to be networked - 'sall.
As I said, I don't think PST files have a place on networks such as yours.
Read the anti-PST diatribe I posted above and note the caveats anyway (disk
usage is a lot higher with PSTs so you aren't gaining anything).
Dave L.

David H. Lipman said:
[...]

David H. Lipman

Lanwench:

Exchange stores -- exist on Exchange Server.

PST local and does not consume space on Exchange Server. Some of my guys have GB's of email
in PST files. The local DOIM would NOT like that data on their Exchange server.

Dave

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" <[email protected]>
wrote in message | David H. Lipman wrote:
| > Lanwench:
| >
| > What do you mean "Yes - buy Exchange server! "
| > What do you think we have ~8000 users on one campus alone using ?
|
| Why PST files, then?
| http://www.exchangefaq.org/faq/Exchange-5.5/Why-PST-=-BAD-/q/Why-PST-=-BAD/qid/1209
| You are aware your data is taking up tons more space in PSTs than in the
| Exchange stores, right?
|
| > I can't tell you how many are in the GAL but lets say "its is a large
| > number" :)
| >
| > I don't understand how I am lucky. More than 6.5 years 24x7 of NT4
| > (since we dropped cc:Mail and Netware) using various Office versions
| > on various OSs. I don't see luck as being a part of the equation. I
| > see something introduced that caused the problem and it is something
| > with Win2003 Server.
|
| Nope, problems galore for many, server OS irrelevant. I promise. You have
| just been lucky.
|

| > Dave

| >> You are a very lucky person indeed. MS doesn't support this, and it
| >> has usually caused major problems when I've seen it.

| >> Yes - buy Exchange server! There is no workaround unless you want to
| >> use batch files/scheduled jobs to copy your data to the server
| >> daily/nightly for backup. It isn't supported period.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

David said:
Lanwench:

Exchange stores -- exist on Exchange Server.
Yep.

PST local and does not consume space on Exchange Server.

No, but you are talking about storing PST files on a server, which does take
up a ton of space.

Some of my
guys have GB's of email in PST files. The local DOIM would NOT like
that data on their Exchange server.

Nor would I. But I wouldn't support PST files like that either. There are
other options - public folders, enterprise archive solutions, etc. If the
data is important enough that you're expected to support/maintain it, seems
to me it's important to do it right.
Dave

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
David said:
[...]

David Elders

But that PST data, from what you're saying, is *not* local - it's on network
drives that are mapped on the client PCs. Therefore it's already stored
elsewhere on the network rather than on the local PC.

Doesn't it concern the DOIM that they're trying to implement/continue
implementing something here that is ultimately unsupportable? By that I mean
that somewhere down the line, you will run into the same brick wall with MS
saying 'this isn't supported - case closed'

All I can do is to reiterate that you're trying to do something here that is
neither how it was designed to be used nor supported by MS... sorry, but
that's the upshot of all this despite the to-ing and fro-ing and your
obvious frustration at having something which was working to your
satisfaction cease to do so.

David

David H. Lipman said:
Lanwench:

Exchange stores -- exist on Exchange Server.

PST local and does not consume space on Exchange Server. Some of my guys
have GB's of email
in PST files. The local DOIM would NOT like that data on their Exchange
server.

Dave

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message | David H. Lipman wrote:
| > Lanwench:
| >
| > What do you mean "Yes - buy Exchange server! "
| > What do you think we have ~8000 users on one campus alone using ?
|
| Why PST files, then?

http://www.exchangefaq.org/faq/Exchange-5.5/Why-PST-=-BAD-/q/Why-PST-=-BAD/qid/1209
| You are aware your data is taking up tons more space in PSTs than in the
| Exchange stores, right?
|
| > I can't tell you how many are in the GAL but lets say "its is a large
| > number" :)
| >
| > I don't understand how I am lucky. More than 6.5 years 24x7 of NT4
| > (since we dropped cc:Mail and Netware) using various Office versions
| > on various OSs. I don't see luck as being a part of the equation. I
| > see something introduced that caused the problem and it is something
| > with Win2003 Server.
|
| Nope, problems galore for many, server OS irrelevant. I promise. You
have
| just been lucky.
|

| > Dave

| >> You are a very lucky person indeed. MS doesn't support this, and it
| >> has usually caused major problems when I've seen it.

| >> Yes - buy Exchange server! There is no workaround unless you want to
| >> use batch files/scheduled jobs to copy your data to the server
| >> daily/nightly for backup. It isn't supported period.

David H. Lipman

Reply is inline...
"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" <[email protected]>
wrote in message | David H. Lipman wrote:
| > Lanwench:
| >
| > Exchange stores -- exist on Exchange Server.
|
| Yep.
| >
| > PST local and does not consume space on Exchange Server.
|
| No, but you are talking about storing PST files on a server, which does take
| up a ton of space.

Yes -- MY server that I provide to them

| Some of my
| > guys have GB's of email in PST files. The local DOIM would NOT like
| > that data on their Exchange server.
|
| Nor would I. But I wouldn't support PST files like that either. There are
| other options - public folders, enterprise archive solutions, etc. If the
| data is important enough that you're expected to support/maintain it, seems
| to me it's important to do it right.

Another aspect is we had a T1 line to our prime contractor's office (we shutdown that T1 on
Dec 1 after 11 years of use) where we maintained a satellite office where we had a private
VLAN. I had a NT4 BDC on that LAN and 30 or workstations. When a user put a PST file on
their "P:" (P for personal) drive they could access the their PST from from the both sides
of the T1 line. No user ever had a problem with their PST files over the T1 line either.

I sent a memo to all my peronnel today indicating that they would have to move their
respective PST files to their hard disk.

Dave

David H. Lipman

Capice !

Dave L.

| But that PST data, from what you're saying, is *not* local - it's on network
| drives that are mapped on the client PCs. Therefore it's already stored
| elsewhere on the network rather than on the local PC.
|
| Doesn't it concern the DOIM that they're trying to implement/continue
| implementing something here that is ultimately unsupportable? By that I mean
| that somewhere down the line, you will run into the same brick wall with MS
| saying 'this isn't supported - case closed'
|
| All I can do is to reiterate that you're trying to do something here that is
| neither how it was designed to be used nor supported by MS... sorry, but
| that's the upshot of all this despite the to-ing and fro-ing and your
| obvious frustration at having something which was working to your
| satisfaction cease to do so.
|
| David
|

| | > Lanwench:
| >
| > Exchange stores -- exist on Exchange Server.
| >
| > PST local and does not consume space on Exchange Server. Some of my guys
| > have GB's of email
| > in PST files. The local DOIM would NOT like that data on their Exchange
| > server.
| >
| > Dave
| >

| > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
| > <[email protected]>

| > |
| > | Why PST files, then?
| > |
| > http://www.exchangefaq.org/faq/Exchange-5.5/Why-PST-=-BAD-/q/Why-PST-=-BAD/qid/1209
| > | You are aware your data is taking up tons more space in PSTs than in the
| > | Exchange stores, right?
| > |

| > |
| > | Nope, problems galore for many, server OS irrelevant. I promise. You
| > have
| > | just been lucky.
| > |

| > |
| > |

David H. Lipman

Yep -- That's the article the Mail Team sent me alright.

Dave

| Why? Personal folder files are unsupported over a LAN or over a WAN link:
| http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297019
|
| --
| Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
| Author of
| Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
| Administrators, Power Users, and Developers

| |
| > I'm not talking about shared personal folders, I'm just talking about
| > Outlook XP PST files
| > being stored on a server rather on the local hard disk. I just can't
| > fathom WHY this is a
| > problem nor for what reasons.

Bebe

Well , I must jump in on this.
We have a similar problem.
We use Windows 2003 Servers with Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003.
Users have Archive PST files stored on their network drive , and we choose
this sollution as we have set a default limit of 200MB / mailo on the
exchange server.
So , all users have archives for 2002 , 2003 etc storeed on a network drive
and they are being open on the Outlook as data files beside the Exchange
account.

Now the problem we have is that since we installed Outlook 2003 and changed
to Windows 2003 server the outlook looses connection to this archive files.
It will just come with the message that the archive file can not be open.
If you close Outlook and open it again , then you can have again access to
the archive file.
Some users experience the problem with the archive files 10-20 times a day ,
some once and some never.

What seems to be the problem here ?

George

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Bebe said:
[...]

The problem is that you are doing something that is not supported by
Microsoft and will cause problems like this. You really need to rethink your
setup - this was all outlined in the replies to the post/thread you replied
in yourself.
Might also want to see
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Public_Folders_Maximize_Exchange.html

Brian Tillman

Bebe said:
Now the problem we have is that since we installed Outlook 2003 and
changed to Windows 2003 server the outlook looses connection to this
archive files. It will just come with the message that the archive
file can not be open. If you close Outlook and open it again , then
you can have again access to the archive file.
Some users experience the problem with the archive files 10-20 times
a day , some once and some never.

What seems to be the problem here ?

The problem is that the PSTs are on network drives. Microsoft doesn't
support it and you sound like you're running the risk of trashing those PSTs
with the periodic disconnects.