PS2 or XBOX

Reaction score
Hey,

Apologies as this is not a pc question, but it is "off topic" :) I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions about whether its worth buying an xbox or PS2? Argos are selling an xbox with project gotham racing for 99 quid which seems alright. You dont need to buy memory cards etc with an xbox do you?

Thanks peeps.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Xbox is better than PS2 in terms of graphics 700Mhz vs 300MhZ processor. With X Box you need not buy any memory since it has a 10 GB Hard Drive built in (some have 8 GB and some maybe more). If you use the Xbox to play DVD's you need to buy the DVD Kit which will enable the Xbox to play them through the supplied remote and a unit that plugs into the front .

99 quid is a good price to go for, the new version is not coming untill 2007 so you are safe with your investment.

If you have the component video connections on your TV go for the additionl cables adaptor as well the quality of graphics will improve and so will the colors.

We use one at home which is connected to a Pixel Plus TV with compnent video cables and it did transform the graphics to a great extent and is well worth the extra few quids.

If you need more info I will oblige.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Its not really about the hardware, its all about the games!

At the moment i would probably choose Xbox, for one reason, and that is Halo 2. From what i've seen of it so far, its up there with Half Life 2, and easily kills off Doom 3. Also Fable is pretty nifty too.

But PS2 has Gran Turismo 4, GTA San Andreas and Killzone comming out in the near future!

Its a toughy, but i loved Halo so much, that Xbox wins it for me:) .

Reaction score
That is a good deal ian, but i really love gotham racing, i can race around edinburgh legally!! ;-) Cheers for the advice quad, i just want to get the one with gotham and also use it as a DVD player. Any idea what the cost of the stuff i need to buy to do that is? Is it any good as a DVD player?

Cheers again.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
You can get the official Xbox playback kit for about £20, its a very cheap and nasty looking piece of kit to be honest, but you need it to watch DVD's on an Xbox! There are the unofficial ones, which reatial from anyting as little as £8-£30. Just look in shops like GAME, Virgin Megastore, Argos, Index, Blockbusters etc etc for one.

There alright as a DVD player, but a DVD player does a better job, more options to choose from. But a DVD player is a DVD player ;).

Reaction score
Xbox is made by microsoft, no more explanation needed...

Sorry to be like this, windows is annoying me! - i could go to apple, but not many games works with it

Reaction score
I chose Xbox over PS2 based on the superior hardware and it seems to have payed off since PS2 cant handle games like Halo 2, Half Life 2, Doom 3 and lots of other games. When Xbox came out PS2 had a much better range of games but i no longer think that can be said (although san andreas and killzone look good they will no doubt be released on other platforms next year)
Xbox Live is a far better service than the online PS2 one (from what i am told since i havnt played a PS2 online yet).

If i had to choose again i would go for Xbox.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'd go for the X-Box. Better Games, better graphics and better DVD playback quality, although any mid-priced dedicated DVD player will outperform both for DVD playback.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Most of the folks here agree that XBox is the way to go. :)

I did compare the quality of the DVD playback after connecting the XBox with the component cables and sure the unit performed well but a dedicated DVD player was better. Mind you the PS2 is way behind as far as qulity of DVD is concerned that is my personal experience. We had a PS2 only for two days and we replaced it with XBox.

Good Luck with your purchase.

Reaction score
Neither.

Upgrade PC if needed. Buy a controller and connect PC to TV if needed.

If you dont wanna do that,

Get an Xbox if you have to, and a PS2

Reaction score
OK chris, so in approx 30 words you managed to go from dont get either to get them both! :) I think games on the pc are better anyway, prob wouldnt play any first person games on xbox, its just that the pc isnt in my room and i just wanted something to mess about on and also allow me to watch dvd's in my room also. Have a nice bose system downstairs anyway.

Reaction score
in another 30 words:

I wouldnt bother spending a hundred quid on a console - PC's are superior. Get a TV transmitter (40 quid), a wireless optical keyboard and mouse, (30 quid) and your laughing. You should be able to use your PC on your TV (and play games, and watch DVDs) and all through that bose system too.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
in another 30 words:

I wouldnt bother spending a hundred quid on a console - PC's are superior. Get a TV transmitter (40 quid), a wireless optical keyboard and mouse, (30 quid) and your laughing. You should be able to use your PC on your TV (and play games, and watch DVDs) and all through that bose system too.
Theres alot more newer games released more often on consoles though, plus you can't really have your mates round to come play PC, you sitting there in your chair and them on the floor :p . Plus once you have a console, you dont have to worry when buying a game whether it will run smoothly, or you'll have to fork out for that better graphics card ;).

Also, there are no good beat em ups on PC, which is probably one of my favourite genre of games, Soul Calibur 2 was freakin' awsome. Theres nothing like having an Uber battle with all your mates, then rubbing it in when you win, or hiding your head in shame when you lose.

Personally, im getting an Xbox just for Halo 2, Halo was OK on PC, but not half the experience as it was on the Xbox, much better visuals, handled alot better and just felt right on the console over the PC for some reason.

pikakilla

Proud Cruncher!
Reaction score
your right there reefsmoka
halo was miles better on xbox,ive had both a ps2 and xbox,
ive still got the xbox its better and the dvd player is ok, a bit noisy though!

Reaction score
HI all,

I have been convinced by some mates to buy a PS2. (mainly for GTA San Andreas!)

But... i only want to spend £70 max! - a little (a lot) low, but that is all i want to spend... another thig is i don't want a seccond hand one - i have been scowering ebay for any new ones, but they all go too high

Any one know where i can get one?

Thanks,

KGB

Ask a Question