programmer needs ideas

metheperson1980

the title says it all, if you have anything then please feel free to
post, or preferably email me at <metheperson1980(at)gmail.com>

Ian Edmont

the title says it all, if you have anything then please feel free to
post, or preferably email me at <metheperson1980(at)gmail.com>

And what langwages doo u program inn. giv us all ere a cloooo.

me

.

And what langwages doo u program inn. giv us all ere a
cloooo.

Soitnly stooopid inuf to munge its addy in body whilst havin'
clear 'From:' for all harvesters 2 C.

Bruce Hoyt

the title says it all, if you have anything then please feel free to
post, or preferably email me at <metheperson1980(at)gmail.com>

Modify the keyboard routines in Open Office so that multiple key sequences
can be assigned to various functions. This will enable WordStar and emacs
style keyboard mappings.

meow2222

the title says it all, if you have anything then please feel free to
post, or preferably email me at <metheperson1980(at)gmail.com>

I have several, including some novel. What sort of project are you
looking for? How big, to achieve what, corp or hobby, etc?

NT

metheperson1980

I have several, including some novel. What sort of project are you
looking for? How big, to achieve what, corp or hobby, etc?

NT

a small project to complete more like hobby, im working on some other
projects but i would like to increase my programming skills by doing
programs that i dont usually do.

Mark Carter

the title says it all, if you have anything then please feel free to
post, or preferably email me at <metheperson1980(at)gmail.com>

Learn Lisp, Scheme, Forth, Smalltalk or Assembler. I like to think of
Forth and Assembler as interesting obfuscated languages that actually do
something ;) (no offense to the Forthers or assemblers out there!)

Pick some small personally-useful app and implement it. In Forth, I
wrote a proggy that prints out random quotes, and a tiny tiny PIM. I
quite like Reva Forth:
http://ronware.org/reva/

Al Klein

Learn Lisp, Scheme, Forth, Smalltalk or Assembler. I like to think of
Forth and Assembler as interesting obfuscated languages that actually do
something ;)

Forth supports psychiatrists. :)

Mark Carter

Al said:
Forth supports psychiatrists. :)

I can imagine.

I think that Forth is one of those languages that every programmer
should have a go at at some stage. It will challenge everything you
know, or think you know, about programming. The inventor of Forth,
Charles Moore, has a website over at:
http://www.colorforth.com/
I tried his colorforth, which I managed to get working precisely once.
Moore likes the idea of simplifying things. His colorforth requires only
25 keys, for example. I ran away from it screaming, but he apparently
uses it for production purposes, and it has garnered praise from other
Forthers. So I'm not necessarily the best judge.

Another good one is APL - or rather its modern-day equivalent: J. I
tried it for an afternoon out of curiosity. But it's definitely one of
those languages that changes the way you think about programming, and
worth having a poke around at if you have time. Interestingly, there's a
guy programming in Reva Forth who is producing a language called Cosy,
which is based on APL ideas:
http://www.cosy.com/CoSy/CoSy/UserManual.htm

There's always C and Python to consider - but I'll take them as too
obvious a choice for a programmer for me to mention.

John Fitzsimons

the title says it all, if you have anything then please feel free to
post, or preferably email me at <metheperson1980(at)gmail.com>

Here is an idea. Do something that nobody else has been able to do
(despite claims to the contrary in this newsgroup). Make a program
that can list all the .exe files one has on a computer. EXCLUDING
the .exe files that are simply compressed files.

This is NOT simply a list of (registry) "installed programs". An
application can run without making entries in the registry.

Hope you can succeed where others have failed. :)

Regards, John.

Mark Carter

John said:
Here is an idea. Do something that nobody else has been able to do
(despite claims to the contrary in this newsgroup). Make a program
that can list all the .exe files one has on a computer. EXCLUDING
the .exe files that are simply compressed files.

Isn't that practically undoable?? After all, who could say what the
purpose of an exe is? One could presumably implement self-extracting
exes in any number of ways - making the job of determining what exes are
compressed files difficult? Unless I'm missing some trick, of course.

meow2222

Mark said:
Al Klein wrote:

[...]

There are some pretty bizarre programming languages, such as
.... cant find it
Or if you want something well established try plankalkul

NT

Ian Edmont

Mark Carter said:
Learn Lisp, Scheme, Forth, Smalltalk or Assembler. I like to think of
Forth and Assembler as interesting obfuscated languages that actually do
something ;) (no offense to the Forthers or assemblers out there!)

Pick some small personally-useful app and implement it. In Forth, I
wrote a proggy that prints out random quotes, and a tiny tiny PIM. I
quite like Reva Forth:
http://ronware.org/reva/

Useful then?

Ian Edmont

There are some pretty bizarre programming languages, such as
... cant find it
Or if you want something well established try plankalkul

NT

why dont we have ONE programming language? .. CROSS PLATFORM .. like English
is the worlds language.

meow2222

a small project to complete more like hobby, im working on some other
projects but i would like to increase my programming skills by doing
programs that i dont usually do.

a background process using minimal resources (eg 0.5% cpu) that
continually checks for hardware data errors, with the error level
viewable any time.

Implement squashfs or unionfs on windows

a defragger that runs whenever the pc is idle, but using minimal
resources. The idea is to do just a little defragging most of the time
rather than a full on defrag now and then. It would triple check all
data so that hardware errors would not corrupt disc data. Speed of
defragging is immaterial, the idea is to let it run continuous or semi
continuous in the smallest possible footprint. Keeping discs always
defragged improves performance. Dont forget to defrag that swap file.

an app to increase dialup throughput, eg zipping all files at the isp
end before download.

an app that stores and retrieves data as dot patterns on paper, and
allows this dot pattern to be constrained in any rectangle anywhere on
the page. Now data can be deposited among text etc. Also diagram
shading could contain data without requiring any extra printing, so
books, flyers etc could contain data at no extra cost. Ditto with
shading in pictures, backgrounds etc.

a red button for folks that get fed up with the os mucking them about.
The red button just selects the default answres to popup questions.
Ideal for folk that dont know what theyre doing or are just fed up of
the same old.

an app that burns picture patterns on otherwise unused cd/dvd space.

Or if its not too much trouble, a freeware replacement for windows :)

NT

Renan(tm)

Em Sun, 16 Jul 2006 00:21:15 +0100, Ian Edmont escreveu:
why dont we have ONE programming language? .. CROSS PLATFORM .. like
English is the worlds language.

Because some languages have specific applications, e.g.:

- COBOL runs mostly on mainframes;
- Lisp is used in Computer Science research;
- Fortran is used on scientifical research (physics, chemistry,
mathematics);
- Perl is used a lot on UNIX shell scripts.
- I think that Pascal is used as the first programming language for
Computer Science students.

Mark Carter

Or if its not too much trouble, a freeware replacement for windows :)

Continuing on the Forth idea, there's actually an effort to create an
alternative OS called RetroForth:
http://www.retroforth.org/
It "works" - in the sense that you can read and write to disk, and you
can program in it. RetroForth has strong links with Reva Forth.

Mark Carter

Ian said:
why dont we have ONE programming language? .. CROSS PLATFORM .. like English
is the worlds language.

Well, in a sense we already do. And that language is ... wait for it ...
wait for it ... C. Everything ultimately boils down to C, because that's
what nearly all Operating Systems are built with.

In another sense, one language can never really be truly cross-platform
because they have a different set of APIs. If they didn't, then they
wouldn't be the different platforms (reminds me of that Monty Python
sketch. A health inspector says that a chocolate manufacturer can no
longer put the bones in their "crunchy frog" flavoured chocolate. The
manufacturer complains that "but if I took the bones out, they wouldn't
be crunchy").

The good thing about UNIX is that it comes with a compiler, and a lot of
free stuff is readily compilable from sources using a simple sequence
configure
make
make install
OTOH, there seems to be a lot of inelegant plumbing in place to get that
to work. And there's no standard toolchain on Windows.

The problem with C is that it's such a low-level language. That's where
languages like Python and $PET_LANGUAGE fit in. They require less effort
to program in, as they do things like automatic garbage collection, and
so on. Python is very "cross-platform" - it runs most places, and has a
wealth of libraries for people to choose from.

I believe that language like Scheme and Lisp are inherently better than
the scripting languages we have today: Python, Perl, Ruby, PHP,
VBScript, JavaScript, TCL, umm, and a whole lot of others.

One reason for the existence of languages is commercial interest - which
admittedly is about the worst way of coming up with a language. Java is
Sun's pet language project. C# is Microsoft's answer to Java - because
hey, God forbid that Sun should gain any market share. Same with VBScript.

Now, Microsoft /could/ bundle Python with Windows - but it aint gonna
happen.

Scheme48 is a version of Scheme that gets it name from the fact that it
was constructed in 48 hours. Scheme is a very simple language which has
a lot of power. It is easily more expressive than C++, Java, C#, or any
of the other scripting languages I mentioned. Now, Microsoft /could/
have decided that Scheme was the way forward, and decide to write their
own standard-compliant Scheme. They could have had it up and running in
a week. Then, they could have decided to write bindings to their
existing DLLs - a non-trivial undertaking, but with nothing inherently
complicated - and they don't have to provide them all at once - they
could just gradually build and build their collection of
Scheme-compatible libraries.

But of course, that's all too straightforward. And that's why we get
..Net, MFC, C#, and whatever else crap Micorosoft is pushing out.