Program to convert recipe quantities?

Discussion in 'Freeware' started by Dennis James, Aug 28, 2003.

  1. Dennis James

    Dennis James Guest

    Any help in tracking down a program to convert
    recipe ingredient quantities is appreciated.

    For example, a recipe calls for 11 different
    ingredients (water, flour, egg, salt, etc.),
    and this recipe feeds, say, 4 servings. I'm
    looking for a program to convert the recipe,
    line-by-line, to feed, say, 90 servings. I'm
    looking for it to convert recipes into large
    batch serving sizes, so to merely convert, say,
    one spoonful of salt into 120 spoonfuls of salt
    is not helpful! It needs to convert it into
    something easily measurable (kilos, pounds,
    etc.)

    I know there are all-purpose conversion programs,
    but these are painstaking when going line-by-line,
    ingredient-by-ingredient.

    Also, a big, sincere 'thank you' to everyone in
    this group for all the great contributions in the
    past.

    Dennis

    Dennis James, Aug 28, 2003

  2. Dennis James wrote:
    > Any help in tracking down a program to convert
    > recipe ingredient quantities is appreciated.
    >
    > For example, a recipe calls for 11 different
    > ingredients (water, flour, egg, salt, etc.),
    > and this recipe feeds, say, 4 servings. I'm
    > looking for a program to convert the recipe,
    > line-by-line, to feed, say, 90 servings. I'm
    > looking for it to convert recipes into large
    > batch serving sizes, so to merely convert, say,
    > one spoonful of salt into 120 spoonfuls of salt
    > is not helpful! It needs to convert it into
    > something easily measurable (kilos, pounds,
    > etc.)
    >
    > I know there are all-purpose conversion programs,
    > but these are painstaking when going line-by-line,
    > ingredient-by-ingredient.
    >

    > Also, a big, sincere 'thank you' to everyone in
    > this group for all the great contributions in the
    > past.
    >

    > Dennis

    Um, you do know that simply increasing such quantities beyond a certain
    point will _not_ give you what you want?

    Boosting 4 to 8 or 10, perhaps 16, is fine, but once you get over 20 it
    is an art all of itself. I used to work for a bloke who could do it in
    his head, and I have met chefs who would do it with a pencil and paper
    and a very worried look! (I used to work in catering)

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

    Gary R. Schmidt, Aug 28, 2003

  3. Dennis James

    Neufie Guest

    "Dennis James" <> wrote in message
    > Any help in tracking down a program to convert
    > recipe ingredient quantities is appreciated.
    >
    > For example, a recipe calls for 11 different
    > ingredients (water, flour, egg, salt, etc.),
    > and this recipe feeds, say, 4 servings. I'm
    > looking for a program to convert the recipe,
    > line-by-line, to feed, say, 90 servings. I'm
    > looking for it to convert recipes into large
    > batch serving sizes, so to merely convert, say,
    > one spoonful of salt into 120 spoonfuls of salt
    > is not helpful! It needs to convert it into
    > something easily measurable (kilos, pounds,
    > etc.)
    >
    > I know there are all-purpose conversion programs,
    > but these are painstaking when going line-by-line,
    > ingredient-by-ingredient.
    >

    > Also, a big, sincere 'thank you' to everyone in
    > this group for all the great contributions in the
    > past.
    >

    > Dennis

    You may run into problems, when you convert volume into weight, but here's
    an online converter:
    http://www.globalgourmet.com/cgi-bin/hts?convcalc.hts+usequiv+new

    Neufie, Aug 28, 2003
  4. Dennis James wrote:
    > Any help in tracking down a program to convert
    > recipe ingredient quantities is appreciated.

    Meal-Master is a DOS recipe program that does this and is freeware.

    http://home1.gte.net/welliver/

    --
    I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
    I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

    Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply, Aug 28, 2003