Event ID: 1509
Date: 10/9/2003
Time: 9:41:02 AM
User: WINDOMAIN\xxxxxx
Computer: ICEBOX
Windows cannot copy file \\fileserver\profiles\xxxxxx\Cookies\index.dat to
location C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxx\Cookies\index.dat. Possible causes
of this error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If
this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

DETAIL - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by
another process.

What process would lock out the cookie file if a user wasn't logged in?

end of line,

Reed Wiedower

Eric Shen [MSFT]

Hi Reed,

Thank you for your post.

This issue is probably caused because the Cookie information is uploaded to
the profile server and unexpectedly locked. To know which process is
accessing this file, we can try to use a third-party utility as
SysInternals handle. Please refer to the following page regarding this
utility:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/handle.shtml

With this utility, you will see all the opened file handles on the
computer.

An alternative way to avoid this issue is to exclude the Cookies folder
from roaming profile so it will not try to upload this folder. You can try
to exclude this folder by using the following article:

188692 How to Prevent Certain Folders from Uploading to Central Profile
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188692

- This will cause the cookie information on the computers are not
synchronized but will not affect your main functionality.

Please check the above information and then let me know how it works. I
look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Eric Shen
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation

Carrie Garth \(MVP\)

Hi Reed,

I have not verified this myself, and I am unable to find any supporting Microsoft
documentation, however according to Jerker Skånberg the "Automatic Updates" Service
can hold open a handle to ...\Cookies\Index.dat. If the Service is Started, you may
want to Stop it to see if that is the culprit.

To read the entire newsgroup post on the subject and for some details on how to
determine what process has the open handle, see the following newsgroup exchange:

Google Groups URL to archived newsgroup thread:
http://www.google.com/groups?&[email protected]