Product Key

Timothy

"Ted" <"""""'"""""""> wrote in message

By the way, admitting to software piracy on a Microsoft-hosted
newsgroup, and doing so while posting with what appears to be
your real E-mail address, might not be the smartest thing in the
world to do.

Bwahahahahahahaha! Explain to everyone here how that is piracy, not what you
think, or what MS states at their web site. Show a law that prohibits the
very thing discussed in this (and other) thread(s)!

i agree with the author of the last post. ever since vidios and music
cassettes came on the market. people have ALWAYS copied it to there own back
up collections. when i when i make a copy it is my copy and o by the way ms
snitch i dont give it away to anyone or share it in a file sharing program.
i was just stating a fact!!

i think the music industry not the musicians should kiss all of our
collective a@@es . we buy it it should be as we want to do with it...
if you went to a store and bought a tv do you think we should also pay to
give it to someone else when we are done with it ....noooooo

tim

then again i could be wrong

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

Timothy said:
i agree with the author of the last post. ever since vidios and music
cassettes came on the market. people have ALWAYS copied it to there own back
up collections. when i when i make a copy it is my copy and o by the way ms
snitch i dont give it away to anyone or share it in a file sharing program.
i was just stating a fact!!

i think the music industry not the musicians should kiss all of our
collective a@@es . we buy it it should be as we want to do with it...
if you went to a store and bought a tv do you think we should also pay to
give it to someone else when we are done with it ....noooooo

tim

Timothy,

This is not about making a backup of media.
This is about violating the End User License to use the product which
clearly states you may only install the product on one PC for that one
licensed copy.
It is time that people stopped using the analogies of a music CD or a book -
it is not the same thing.
If it was then you install a CD to play music on a player by just inserting
it, then you play it , then you deinstall it by removing the disk.
So if you really want to use your copy of Windows like a music CD then you
install it to a PC, use it then deinstall it from that machine and reinstall
it on the other device when you want to use it there and so on.

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

Brian Tillman

I have heard that it is Legal for you to install MS W2K on a Laptop and a
desktop because technically you wouldn't be using them at the same time ??

Under some corporate agreements, Microsoft has allowed this for some of its
layered products (i.e., Office), but never to my knowledge for the operating
system.
--
Brian Tillman Internet: Brian.Tillman at smiths-aerospace dot com
Smiths Aerospace Addresses modified to prevent SPAM.

Brian Tillman

Tow the MS line;
"Installing a LEGALLY puirchased copy of Windows on more than one PC is
piracy!"

This latter sentence embodies the fallacy most people trip over: that you're
buying the software. Completely false. When you buy a license (note the
very connotation of the word "license"), you are buying the right to _use_
the software on a single machine (read the EULA for a change); you're not
buying the software itself. When you "purchase a copy" of Windows, Office,
Money, whatever, you're NOT buying the software. You're buying the right to
use software SOMEONE ELSE (i.e., Microsoft, in this case) owns. No right of
ownership transfers to you when you make that purchase. All rights remain
with the vendor. That's the very essence of "copyright" and "intellectual
property".

Buying that license does not allow you to do whatever you want with the
contents of the disks that may come with the license. I don't know why
that's such a hard concept for people to grasp.