    Also, I noticed a few pins on my processor are bent. Will this screw
    everything up?

    thanks

    Bacchus, Mar 10, 2005

  2. Bacchus

    DaveW Guest

    Do NOT start it without the CPU. You can do damage and you will prove
    nothing.

    --
    DaveW

    DaveW, Mar 11, 2005

  3. Bacchus

    kony Guest

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:03:41 -0800, "DaveW" <>
    wrote:

    >Do NOT start it without the CPU. You can do damage and you will prove
    >nothing.

    No, it will not do damage to power up a system without the
    CPU in it... but obviously it won't POST or run, either.

    kony, Mar 11, 2005
  4. Bacchus

    kony Guest

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:35:33 -0500, "Bacchus"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >If I take the processor off my mobo will it still start up and will I see
    >something on the monitor?

    No. CPU is manditory to get the system to POST and/or run.

    >Reason I ask is, I just changed my buddies mobo and I am still getting the
    >same thing. Nothing is coming up on the monitor. I bought a new PCI video
    >card as well.

    You're talking about your ("my mobo") system above and now a
    different one. Perhaps a more clear description of what's
    going on would help, along with descriptions of the parts in
    the system being focused on.

    When you introduce more variables you can't even be sure you
    don't then have multiple problems. It "could" be something
    like the power supply failing, or it might've been the old
    motherboard failed and you don't have the new one set up
    right and/or it doens't support the CPU, etc, OR you might
    now have all of the above problems in conjunction.... or
    maybe not, you didn't provide any info on this as "changed
    my buddies mobo" doesn't tell us the specifics, whether
    you'd ever had that other mobo working at all.

    >Also, I noticed a few pins on my processor are bent. Will this screw
    >everything up?

    Could be, depends on how bent. Are you sure you aren't
    stuffing it in the board the wrong way? Try straightening
    the pins, gently.

    kony, Mar 11, 2005
  5. Bacchus

    Bacchus Guest

    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >If I take the processor off my mobo will it still start up and will I see
    > >something on the monitor?

    > No. CPU is manditory to get the system to POST and/or run.
    >

    > >Reason I ask is, I just changed my buddies mobo and I am still getting

    the
    > >same thing. Nothing is coming up on the monitor. I bought a new PCI

    video
    > >card as well.

    > You're talking about your ("my mobo") system above and now a
    > different one. Perhaps a more clear description of what's
    > going on would help, along with descriptions of the parts in
    > the system being focused on.
    >
    > When you introduce more variables you can't even be sure you
    > don't then have multiple problems. It "could" be something
    > like the power supply failing, or it might've been the old
    > motherboard failed and you don't have the new one set up
    > right and/or it doens't support the CPU, etc, OR you might
    > now have all of the above problems in conjunction.... or
    > maybe not, you didn't provide any info on this as "changed
    > my buddies mobo" doesn't tell us the specifics, whether
    > you'd ever had that other mobo working at all.
    >

    > >Also, I noticed a few pins on my processor are bent. Will this screw
    > >everything up?

    > Could be, depends on how bent. Are you sure you aren't
    > stuffing it in the board the wrong way? Try straightening
    > the pins, gently.

    okay here's the scoop. I am getting no video on the monitor. The monitor
    goes into countdown mode. System powers up but nothing is happening on the
    monitor. The monitor is fine as it works on my system.

    I thought it was the motherboard so I bought a new one that supports the
    processor and I got a new tower with a brand new power supply. I set it up
    and installed a PCI video card and I am getting the same thing. I tired
    installing my video card from my system in the AGP slot and I still get the
    same thing. The system boots up but I am seeing nothing.

    Do I have to set a jumper on the motherboard to tell it to use the PCI slot
    for video? I do not think that is the problem as, like I said the AGP card
    did the same thing.

    The mobo is new, the PCI card is new, the case and p/s is new. The only
    thing I can think of is the processor is messed up, the RAM is bad or
    something needs to be done to the hard-drive. I am lost at this point. I
    hope somone here cab help me out.

    Bacchus, Mar 11, 2005
  6. Bacchus

    Kawosa Guest

    "Bacchus" <> wrote in

    >> >Hi,
    >> >
    >> >If I take the processor off my mobo will it still start up and will
    >> >I see something on the monitor?

    >> No. CPU is manditory to get the system to POST and/or run.
    >>

    >> >Reason I ask is, I just changed my buddies mobo and I am still
    >> >getting

    > the
    >> >same thing. Nothing is coming up on the monitor. I bought a new
    >> >PCI

    > video
    >> >card as well.

    >> You're talking about your ("my mobo") system above and now a
    >> different one. Perhaps a more clear description of what's
    >> going on would help, along with descriptions of the parts in
    >> the system being focused on.
    >>
    >> When you introduce more variables you can't even be sure you
    >> don't then have multiple problems. It "could" be something
    >> like the power supply failing, or it might've been the old
    >> motherboard failed and you don't have the new one set up
    >> right and/or it doens't support the CPU, etc, OR you might
    >> now have all of the above problems in conjunction.... or
    >> maybe not, you didn't provide any info on this as "changed
    >> my buddies mobo" doesn't tell us the specifics, whether
    >> you'd ever had that other mobo working at all.
    >>

    >> >Also, I noticed a few pins on my processor are bent. Will this
    >> >screw everything up?

    >> Could be, depends on how bent. Are you sure you aren't
    >> stuffing it in the board the wrong way? Try straightening
    >> the pins, gently.

    > okay here's the scoop. I am getting no video on the monitor. The
    > monitor goes into countdown mode. System powers up but nothing is
    > happening on the monitor. The monitor is fine as it works on my
    > system.
    >
    > I thought it was the motherboard so I bought a new one that supports
    > the processor and I got a new tower with a brand new power supply. I
    > set it up and installed a PCI video card and I am getting the same
    > thing. I tired installing my video card from my system in the AGP
    > slot and I still get the same thing. The system boots up but I am
    > seeing nothing.
    >
    > Do I have to set a jumper on the motherboard to tell it to use the PCI
    > slot for video? I do not think that is the problem as, like I said
    > the AGP card did the same thing.
    >
    > The mobo is new, the PCI card is new, the case and p/s is new. The
    > only thing I can think of is the processor is messed up, the RAM is
    > bad or something needs to be done to the hard-drive. I am lost at
    > this point. I hope somone here cab help me out.

    If the system boots up and you don't get beeps, I'd say the cpu and
    memory are okay. Boot it with a floppy or CD. If still no display, go
    back and check the simple stuff like monitor cable and input voltage.

    Kawosa, Mar 11, 2005
  7. Bacchus

    Bacchus Guest

    I tried booting it with a floppy and cd and still nothing comes up on the
    monitor. The monitor counts down and goes into power saver mode. I notice
    though, when I take the monitor cable out of the PCI card, it says cable not
    connected on the monitor. I imagine that means nothing though.

    Could it be a bad RAM stick?

    I am stumped.

    --
    Kevin Oye
    Oye's Outlet

    Bacchus, Mar 11, 2005
  8. Bacchus

    kony Guest

    On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:49:55 -0500, "Bacchus"
    <> wrote:

    >okay here's the scoop. I am getting no video on the monitor. The monitor
    >goes into countdown mode. System powers up but nothing is happening on the
    >monitor. The monitor is fine as it works on my system.

    To clarify, "system powers up" means only that the fans are
    spinning, LEDs lit, and drives spinning, right? In other
    words, it does not appear that the system is booting to the
    operating system at all?

    If so, it is the typical failure-to-post situation, which
    can be caused by any number of things. Normally swapping in
    different parts is a way to troubleshoot bits that can't be
    troubleshot otherwise, but there are things that can be
    checked (at least rudimentarily) without system running,
    like the power supply.

    If you have a multimeter, take voltage readings. Even
    though the power supply is "brand new", that does not mean
    it's suitable for the system. Many came-free-with-case
    power supplies are overrated and quite poor. If you had a
    spare, known-good power supply of ample capacity you might
    try that.

    >I thought it was the motherboard so I bought a new one that supports the
    >processor and I got a new tower with a brand new power supply. I set it up
    >and installed a PCI video card and I am getting the same thing. I tired
    >installing my video card from my system in the AGP slot and I still get the
    >same thing. The system boots up but I am seeing nothing.

    Ah, so it does boot up. Does it have integrated video?
    Does it still have the AGP video card in it? IF the only
    card in it is PCI AND it doesn't have integrated video, you
    usually don't need to change anything because the bios
    defaults to the only video adapter present. On some older
    boards there was need to set a jumper, if in doubt then
    check the motherboard manual.

    >Do I have to set a jumper on the motherboard to tell it to use the PCI slot
    >for video? I do not think that is the problem as, like I said the AGP card
    >did the same thing.

    See above

    >The mobo is new, the PCI card is new, the case and p/s is new. The only
    >thing I can think of is the processor is messed up, the RAM is bad or
    >something needs to be done to the hard-drive. I am lost at this point. I
    >hope somone here cab help me out.

    you wrote that it boots up, so the memory and CPU should not
    be a problem. Perhaps the motherboard is misaligned in the
    case so any cards installed, won't make good contact in the
    slot? On "some" boards, it can help to clear the CMOS after
    changing the video card.

    kony, Mar 11, 2005