Problems with Setup Project

Discussion in 'Microsoft Dot NET Framework Forms' started by Luigi Z, Feb 9, 2009.

  1. Luigi Z

    Luigi Z Guest

    Hi all,
    in my .NET C# 2.0 solution, I have several Class Library projects and one
    Windows Forms project.
    When I create a Setup Project, set the Primary Output the WinForm project
    and let other options with default values, I obtain the .msi file.
    When I run the .msi file, it create the folder with dll's and the .exe under
    C:\Program Files, but not an item in the Start menu (or a shortcut in the
    desktop user).
    So the users have to browse in the folder and run the exe manually. Not very
    comfortable.

    Why this happen?

    Thanks in advance.

    --
    Luigi
    http://blogs.dotnethell.it/ciupaz/

    Luigi Z, Feb 9, 2009

  2. Luigi Z

    miher Guest

    Hi,

    To put anything into other folder You have to specify that. If You select
    the setup project, and the FileSystem view (right click setup project select
    view/File system), by default You should see 3 folders in the tree view on
    the left. To put anything onto the users desktop populate the "User's
    Desktop" folder, do the same with "User's Programs Menu" for start menu.

    For example :
    to create a simple shortcut select Your primary project output / right-click
    and select create shortcut / drag the shortcut to any above mentioned
    folders.

    Hope You find this useful.
    -Zsolt

    miher, Feb 9, 2009

  3. Luigi Z

    Luigi Z Guest

    "miher" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > To put anything into other folder You have to specify that. If You select
    > the setup project, and the FileSystem view (right click setup project select
    > view/File system), by default You should see 3 folders in the tree view on
    > the left. To put anything onto the users desktop populate the "User's
    > Desktop" folder, do the same with "User's Programs Menu" for start menu.
    >
    > For example :
    > to create a simple shortcut select Your primary project output / right-click
    > and select create shortcut / drag the shortcut to any above mentioned
    > folders.
    >
    > Hope You find this useful.
    > -Zsolt

    Perfect, thank you Miher.