Windows XP Problems with dBpwer amp music converter

Reaction score
Hi

I've just found out that I can convert music files into mp3, wma etc so they won't take up as much room on my iPaq.
Firstly I tried Media Encoder, this is very easy to use but the problem is you can only seem to be able to convert one file at a time which is very time consuming, but the major problem being the fact that the music seems to be quiet on my ipaq.
So I decided to try dBpoweramp. The problem here is, the converted music files (mp3) are bigger than the original files! Why us this? And when I try to convert my music to Ogg Vorbis, my PC doesn't recognise the converted files.

Please, please help me!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
What file extension do your original files (songs) have?

dbPoweramp has a sliding quality scale, the higher the quality, the larger the file.

Reaction score
The original file extension is .wma They are just songs copied from a Cd onto my pc using windows media player. I know about the sliding scale, I have this at the recommended setting, but even so, surely having it to high couldn't make the file bigger than a normal music file?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Sorry, PS, but I've never used wma files as they're exclusive to Windows/Microsoft.

Only time I've used wma when was a friend sent me some wma files, which I converted to WAV to burn to a CD.

So, really, I honestly don't know. I do find mp3 format acceptable for playing in the car, but not really on a Hi-Fi system, although I do sometimes play mp3 files on my DVD player through the Hi-Fi.

As I mentioned earlier, mp3 files can vary in quality and size.

As for whether wma files are 'normal' audio files, I wouldn't know, but if they're smaller than mp3 files, then, imo, they are far from normal. And, I'm guessing here, I'd imagine they're lower quality than mp3.

Perhaps somebody else could throw some light on this issue?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
how long is the song? if its around 5:00 mins then it will be about 2.3 megs (is this abit bit?).

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I have my doubts that wma can be directly converted to MP3, I will have to replicate the problem and come back with my findings. dbPowerAmp normally converts wave files to MP3 and vice versa. Could it be that wma is not convertable? I will have to check.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Quad:

I couldn't convert wma files to mp3 using dbPoweramp.

The wma files sent to me, I used Windows Media Player to burn directly to CD then converted CD cda tracks to mp3.

Not the best quality assured way of doing things, I'd imagine ;)

Perhaps CDEX can convert wma to mp3?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Quad:

I couldn't convert wma files to mp3 using dbPoweramp.

The wma files sent to me, I used Windows Media Player to burn directly to CD then converted CD cda tracks to mp3.

Not the best quality assured way of doing things, I'd imagine ;)

Perhaps CDEX can convert wma to mp3?

Flops,

You are very kind sir for taking time out and doing what I was suppose to do. ;)

Reaction score
dbpoweramp can convert wma to mp3, you need the wma codec:
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-wma.htm

Theres one for Windows XP and one for Other Windows OS

Who uses this, and has bought a licence? It seems like a good piece of software and $14 / £8.25 doesnt seem too bad for a one time purchase and unlimited usage time. It seems quite popular by all the results from google.

I'm new here btw, found this forum from searching google

Last edited:

Ask a Question