Problems with ActiveX in IE6

Hi Folks!

Recently, I have been experiencing problems when loading my Internet
Explorer browser with my own Homepage of
http://www.geocities.com/alba13142003/1966_and_English_Soccer_Lies.html.

Whenever I open the browser, a Microsoft Internet Explorer alert box pops up
with the following message: "Click to run an ActiveX control on this webpage"
and there is an "OK" button. This is a new problem (and annoying one that
occurs each time I open IE) and I wonder if anyone can tell me how I stop it
from occurirng?

Personally, I have made no changes in any of my Internet settings, so I do
not know why this is happening?! Can anyone please advise??

I am running XP HE with SP2 on my PC and all necessary updates installed.

Thanks in advance...

Lars-Erik Østerud

Whenever I open the browser, a Microsoft Internet Explorer alert box pops up
with the following message: "Click to run an ActiveX control on this webpage"

This has been discussen here LOTS of times (check headers last week).
It's due to the EOLAS patch and happens because web-sites are not
updated yet (send a messages about it to the site's webmaster).

Hello,
I had the same thing happen to me....but I have 30 plus websites they I have
designed that are affected. All I did was uninstalled the last update through
add and remove in the control panel and its working ok again....Microsoft is
some kind of lawsuit...Not Happy with I.E.

Scott

Don Varnau

Hi,
Uninstalling the update on your machine won't help other visitors to your
sites. You should modify the code so that users don't have to click to allow
the ActiveX component.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d.../author/dhtml/overview/activating_activex.asp

In a few months it won't be possible to dodge this behavior. ;-)

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/912945.mspx

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

scott said:
Hello,
I had the same thing happen to me....but I have 30 plus websites they I have
designed that are affected. All I did was uninstalled the last update through
add and remove in the control panel and its working ok again....Microsoft is
some kind of lawsuit...Not Happy with I.E.

Scott
installed.

Thanks Don, for your reply.

I visited the link that you supplied, but find it hard to understand all the
jargon contained and what, if any, resolutions there may be to solve my
problem. Although the link leads to a knowledgebase, it can be hard to
follow the instructions for those who are not tech-minded - like me! I do
have some knowledge of PC's, but this all seemed to advanced for me...

I did do a check of my registry and found that there was no
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (or HKEY_CURRENT_USER)> SOFTWARE> Microsoft> Internet
Explorer> Main> FeatureControl> FEATURE_ENABLE_ACTIVEX_INACTIVATE_MODE entry
at all. This being the case, I left well alone and decided to let you know
the situation.

I would appreciate any help you may be able to give me as to what my next
step(s) should be?!

scott said:
Hello,
I had the same thing happen to me....but I have 30 plus websites they I have
designed that are affected. All I did was uninstalled the last update through
add and remove in the control panel and its working ok again....Microsoft is
some kind of lawsuit...Not Happy with I.E.

Scott
installed.

Don Varnau

Hi,
You aren't in the same situation as Scott. His websites were affected by the
EOLAS settlement.

In your case, go to Internet Options> Security> Internet Zone> click on
Default level.

Let me know if you still get the prompt. We'll look at custom settings. But,
I get this prompt fairly often, due to tight security settings. You can get
used to it. ;-)

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Hi Don,

I installed the Compatibility Patch for Internet Explorer for Windows XP
Service Pack 2 (KB917425) from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...1B-4FB5-492E-903E-3400ABF1D731&displaylang=en
yesterday and this stopped the ActiveX message appearing when I opened up my
homepage.

Earlier today, I uninstalled the patch and the Microsoft Internet Explorer
alert box popped up again with the same message: "Click to run an ActiveX
control on this webpage"...

Should I reinstall the compatibility patch once more? I did notice that
after applying the patch that IE browser was slower to load, though the alert
box did not reappear?

Advice please??

--
Many thanks,

alba.
*********

:

[...]

The Compatability Patch will only prevent the ActiveX prompt until June. The
instructions in
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d.../author/dhtml/overview/activating_activex.asp
are intended for experienced website designers- not you or me. ;-) Since
your page was created with Yahoo Pagebuilder, I would check with
Yahoo/Geocities Help. They may have a solution.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

alba1314 said:
[...]

annoying
one that settings,
so I do

A thought has occured to me... I know IE7 is still in Beta, but does anyone
know if this ActiveX problem arises in IE7? If not, perhaps it may be
advisable to install it instead - although, from the screenshots I've seen of
the next IE browser, I can't say I'm too impressed with the layout ?!?

Can anyone please advise?
--
Many thanks,

alba.
*********

"alba1314" <alba1314[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

alba1314:
advisable to install it instead - although, from the screenshots I've seen of
the next IE browser, I can't say I'm too impressed with the layout ?!?

What is worse, when Vista arrives that is the layout for Explorer as
well, and with the minimal user customization, that really is terrible

But would upgrading to IE7 browser help??
--
Many thanks,

alba.
*********
O/S: Microsoft Windows XP H.E. 5.1.2600. AMD Sempron, 900 MHz. Mobo: ECS
741GX-M. Chipset: SiS 741GX. Memory: 512Mb. HDD: ST380021A (80GB). PHILIPS
DVDR1648P1 Burner.

Sorry I've taken a while to get back PA Bear - appreciate the reply!
--
Many thanks,

alba.
*********