Problems with 2003 Member Server

G

I have a very simple set-up, 1 2000 (SP4) Domain Controller (also running SQL2000 db), 1 2003 Member Server (providing

Terminal Services, IIS and shared fax services), 15 2000 clients and 3 XP clients.
All IP's are fixed, but have DHCP running on our firebox, there is also another win2k domain and a novell server running on

the same network/subnet.

The problem I have is that the 2003 MS (and possibly the xp WS's, although not really investigated) seems to have a name

resolution problem in Active Directory.
The 2003 MS can be viewed across the network and is providing file sharing, no problem, but most of the time have the

following symptoms:

1. From 2003 MS - Can't browse to DC sysvol share (\\<domain>\sysvol\<domain>).
2. From 2003 MS - AD MMC Snap-in fails very frequently on error "Active Directory - Naming Information cannot be located for

the following reason: The server is not operational"
3. From 2000 WS - Fax server share on 2003 MS, when accessed from client machines, sometimes works, often fails on first step

of wizard on "cannot retrieve information".
4. From 2000 DC - In Active Directory, Manage Computers,can't see system information on 2003 MS or XP WS - states:" The

connection to <2003 MS> could not be established....."
5. From 2003 MS & XP WS - AD Domain User Accounts only show GUID instead of resolved user/group names.

Event Log errors
1. Application - Userenv ID:1053 "Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. (The RPC server is unavailable. ).

Group Policy processing aborted."
2. System - NETLOGON ID:5719 "This computer was not able to set up a secure session with a domain controller in domain ADC0

due to the following:
The RPC server is unavailable"

Tests
1. From 2003 MS - NetDiag - Occasionally only fails on Kerberous Test (bug in netdiag??) but normally fails on a range of

issues, the first being DC list - "No DC's are Up"
2. From 2003 MS - DCDiag - fails on _msdcs lookup - "Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\<2000 DC> Starting test:

Connectivity * Active Directory LDAP Services Check The host <DC GUID...>._msdcs.<DOMAIN> could not be resolved to an IP

address.
3. From 2000 DC - NetDiag - OK
4. From 2000 DC - DCDiag - OK

I have removed 2003 MS from domain and rejoined, but that did not help and I am now pulling out what little hair I have

left??

N

Nathan

The RPC server is unavailable

I would check what IP's you haev listed at the 2003 server
for DNS servers. Make sure these are DC's.

Also re-check your WINS, though I think this should be
mostly a DNS related area when talking about AD and 2003.

You may have a stray DNS entry in one of the DNS/DC
servers as well, so once you've cleared the 2003 server,
check upstream from it at each DNS server the 2003 server
is using.

N

Nathan

We do not have a WINS server running.

Good, that keeps things a bit more simple then.
All the machines on the network (inc. the 2003 MS) have
the DC's IP as the only DNS server.

Perfect, that was exactly my concern. You nailed it out
of the way so move on to the next thing. :)
These are then forwarded to externally by the DNS
running on the DC?

Yeah, that's how it should work as long as the DC has
forwarding set up. If you can browse external sites in IE
then it's working. :)

Look for info on the "netdom" utility. You might just
need to refresh/reload your name cache on the 2003 MS. A
remove re-add to the domain might also fix it, but I would
only do this as a more drastic measure. It should be
fixable WITHOUT a remove from domain.

Hopefully this gets you rolling in the right direction, or
someone with more AD knowledge will respond. :)

Good Luck,

Nathan

G

Thanks Nathan - I'm glad to see we are following the same thought process! In fact things got that desperate before I posted this question, I have already removed the 2003MS from the domain, rebooted it, given it a new IP and Computer Name, and rejoined it to the domain! - No change!

I can't help but think that it may be a problem in DNS/AD on the 2000DC, which is only being exposed by the 03 & XP machines?

Anyone with any ideas ?????

Ask a Question