Problems setting up for DNSKong

Martin

I'm trying to set up Windows 2K to use DNSKong as in the instructions at
http://www.pacificnet.net/~bbruce/dnsw2k.htm by editing
HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\Interfaces\ and
finding NameServer in the { } entries and modifying the string to read
127.0.0.1.

When I navigate to this NameServer key, it's blank. After editing the
string to read 127.0.0.1 and rebooting or visiting the Internet, it reverts
back to a blank entry. It will not retain the loopback address.
(After exiting the Kerio firewall and DNSKong and doing a quick visit to a
site, the 2 ISP DNS servers appeared in the NameServer string, but they too
disappear afterwards to leave a blank entry.)

I have tried it with and without the DNS and DHCP services running but it
makes no difference. I can't find an answer on Google either.

Is there a way to get the loopback address to stick as implied by the
DNSKong setup instructions?

Thank you.

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Martin said:
[...]

As the article said, the steps are a success story and the methods are not
totally proven and tried. Windows does not like the loopback set in it's IP
properties, registry or not. THe only time I've seen it use the loopback is
in 2003 when a machine is promoted to a DC and you didn't specify itself as
the DNS server. I'm not sure how Kong works whether you can change it to
require to use the loopback or not, but my thoughts are just to put the
machine's own IP address in there to make it work. Loopback or it's own IP
will query itself anyway. So if you do this, then specifying your ISP's DNS
would be useless because it may query the ISP when you are trying to
test/use DNSKong.

Curious, is this for a domain controller? If so, does DNSKong support SRV
records? Also curious, why not just use Windows DNS?

--
Ace
Innovative IT Concepts, Inc

confers no rights.

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.
It's easy:

How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
"Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

The only constant in life is change...

Martin

Many thanks. I realised I should have mentioned that this is a single
workstation not on a network. Having seen the type of queries on this
newsgroup, I realise I might be in the wrong place - wasting people's time
with, basically, trivia.

That's a good idea about putting the machines own IP address in instead.

I don't know about Windows DNS - I'm new to Windows 2000 having just ditched
98SE given the ending of critical updates and lack of security. Hence the
taking DNSKong and other favourite programs with me.

Having given more thought to what I'm doing and what DNSKong does, I wonder
if I'm wasting my time because I use Mozilla Firefox as my browser (except
for Windows updates) and - unless I've got the wrong end of the stick - its
adblock filters appear to function in a similar way to DNSKongs.
Nevertheless, the whole thing is a learning exercise taking me to areas I'd
never heard of before.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply - I think I'll try your idea, if
for no other reason than to get my head around static and dynamic IP
addresses.

Martin

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Martin said:
[...]

No problem for the help. I'm not sure if you areusing Windows 2000 server or
workstation. Server (2000 and 2003) has a DNS service that you can install
and run. If a workstation, Windows DNS service is not available. However,
for a workstation you can install ISC Bind DNS (www.isc.org). There's a
version for Windows and it's free.

Good luck in your endeavors!

Ace