Problems connecting to Server

G

I have a small medical office with a server running Windows Server2000 and 9 workstations running Windows 2000. The network is set up as a workgroup not a domain. Two of the workstations can't recognize the Server but will still access the database of our commercial software. I can't get network printers installed on these two wotkstations because it can't "see" the entire network. I went thru the network I.D. wizard and it says it's in the correct workgroup but when I look at The Network Neighborhood and click thru the entire network icons, when it gets to the icon for the workgroup and I double -click it, it pauses for about 20 seconds then comes up with an error message that says "The workgroup is not available. The list for servers for this workgroup is not available. Two questions: "How can I fix this problem? " "Would it be better to use a domain vs. a workgroup?" Your help is greatly appreciated.

S

SteveC

On the two computers, check that Netbios over tpc/ip is enabled.

Right click on My network places, choose properties
Right click on network card (usually Local Area Network), choose
properties.
Highlight TCP/IP. Click Properties.
Click the advanced button.
Go to the Wins tab, Enable Netbios over tcp/ip

I prefer using a domain over a workgroup. For one thing, you manage
the user accounts from one place, instead of 10 computers. For
another, it's harder to lock yourself out when you lose the
workstation administrator password. Of course, when something goes
wrong in a domain, it could be more disastrous and harder to fix than
in a workgroup.