Problem with Photo Thumbnails

Reaction score
Hi folks,

First post on here, I have a reasonable level of understanding of PCs, but nothing TOO technical, so please be gentle with me!

I have a problem with some of the photo folders in MS Office Picture Manager. The individual icons for the photos are still THERE in thumbnail form, with the same filenames they had before, but the images themselves aren't there any more, either as thumbnails or when I double-click on them.

At the same time, a "thumbs" icon has appeared in each folder where this has happened (I assume this to be a ".db" folder?)

There are only certain folders that are affected, and I'm not aware of having done anything to cause this in the first place.

Any thoughts anyone? I am running XP Home with SP2.

Many thanks for any help you can offer,

Stuart Schofield

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
It may be that you have moved the original pictures from there original destination on your c:/ drive and because of that the destination folder has changed and the thumbnails can't link back to the original images..

Just a thought..;)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
sschofield said:
At the same time, a "thumbs" icon has appeared in each folder where this has happened (I assume this to be a ".db" folder?)

I had the thumbs icon appear in some of my folders too. I cleared them by going into the folder and then clicking:-

Tools / Folder Options / View / Show hidden files and folders ... or, in your case, Hide ... :thumb:

It certainly got rid of the annoying icons. :) As to your missing photos, sorry don't know.

Reaction score
crazylegs said:
It may be that you have moved the original pictures from there original destination on your c:/ drive and because of that the destination folder has changed and the thumbnails can't link back to the original images..

Just a thought..;)

That sounds quite believable, any thoughts on how I locate the current destination on the c:/ drive?

Many thanks again

Ask a Question