Problem with building first PC

James

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to help a friend long distance -via- email who is building her
first PC.

She is using an ASUS A7V600-X motherboard along with an AMD Athlon 2.2Ghz
processor with barton core.

She says that she gets a CPU configuration error on boot up.

My guess is that a configuration parameter is set wrong in the bios.

Anyone have any ideas as to what that parameter(s) may be, and what they
should be set to?

Also, what should these options be set to?

CPU Frequency Multiple
CPU External Frequency
CPU VCore Setting

Manufacture Webpage for her model MB:
http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7v600-x/overview.htm

Thanks!
James

John Doe

James said:
Hi Folks,

I'm trying to help a friend long distance -via- email who is
building her first PC.

Why use e-mail when you could be using instant messaging,
preferably voice enabled through NetMeeting/whatever?

Grendel

James said:
Hi Folks,

I'm trying to help a friend long distance -via- email who is building her
first PC.

She is using an ASUS A7V600-X motherboard along with an AMD Athlon 2.2Ghz
processor with barton core.

She says that she gets a CPU configuration error on boot up.

My guess is that a configuration parameter is set wrong in the bios.

Anyone have any ideas as to what that parameter(s) may be, and what they
should be set to?

Also, what should these options be set to?

CPU Frequency Multiple
CPU External Frequency
CPU VCore Setting

Manufacture Webpage for her model MB:
http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7v600-x/overview.htm

Thanks!
James

I would reset the BIOS (will be a jumper on the m/b - details in the m/b
manual) then start again. Most motherboards these days will pick up the
correct settings and you should only be changing those values if you are
overclocking. Sometimes the motherboard won't pick it up properly, but in
my experience they generally do.

This is from the manual :

Look on page 61 of the manual
(http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/slota/k7v/k7v-101.pdf) in the section
starting "Forgot the password?" to see how to clear the bios.

BarryNL

James said:
Hi Folks,

I'm trying to help a friend long distance -via- email who is building her
first PC.

She is using an ASUS A7V600-X motherboard along with an AMD Athlon 2.2Ghz
processor with barton core.

She says that she gets a CPU configuration error on boot up.

Which CPU is it exactly? According to the website the 2800+ 266FSB and
also most Semprons need this mobo to be running at least version 1006 of
the BIOS. Do you know which BIOS version she has installed?

sbb78247

John said:
Why use e-mail when you could be using instant messaging,
preferably voice enabled through NetMeeting/whatever?
That was helpful.

now on to the OPs question

as was stated - reset the bios via the jumper to have it redetect the cpu.
if you get nothing, you may need to change the cpu to one the board
understands such as a tbird/bred core - update the bios so the board
understands the desired cpu then reinstall.

my bet is on resetting the bios though.

John Doe

Persistent troll.

From: "sbb78247" <sbb78247 gmail.com>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Problem with building first PC
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 16:11:48 -0500

That was helpful.

now on to the OPs question

sbb78247

John said:
Persistent troll.

****in idiot peckerwood

see we can all use your tricks too. learn a new trick moron.

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
From: John Doe <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 01:23:32 GMT

Ruel Smith

James said:
Hi Folks,

I'm trying to help a friend long distance -via- email who is building her
first PC.

She is using an ASUS A7V600-X motherboard along with an AMD Athlon 2.2Ghz
processor with barton core.

She says that she gets a CPU configuration error on boot up.

My guess is that a configuration parameter is set wrong in the bios.

Anyone have any ideas as to what that parameter(s) may be, and what they
should be set to?

Also, what should these options be set to?

CPU Frequency Multiple
CPU External Frequency
CPU VCore Setting

The options should be system defaults with the only changes being a change
in boot order, getting an onboard IDE controller enabled (particularly
RAID), and shutting off possibly conflicting onboard components like sound
when there's an aftermarket sound card installed in a slot. Other than
that, they should be system defaults. Once the system is working properly,
and all hardware issues are addressed, then one can adjust things such as
VCore, CPU frequency, CPU multiplier, etc..

If the default BIOS settings don't work right, one could try "Optimized
Default" settings.

James

Thank you for all of the suggestions, everyone. We have used instant
messenger too, but because of our schedules it is easier to communicate via
email since we are not usually online at the same time.

My first thought was to reset the bios and if that didn't work, try a bios
update. I have given her instructions for these two things and will update
the group once I hear the outcome.

Thanks,
James