Problem with AVG Resident Shield

Chase Kimball

I have been lurking for a while in case this is a common problem, but I
haven't seen anything on it, so here goes. I am running AVG 6 on my Win
XP Pro computer. I also use Zonealarm freeware. I like having the
Resident Shield program running in the background, but every time I
reboot Resident Shield is deactivated, and I have to start it up again.
Grisoft doesn't support their freeware AV, and I can find nothing on
this in their various FAQs. Anyone else having this problem?
+Chase Kimball ([email protected]), nom de Plum "Lord Brancaster"
+aka "Hannibal" in the Quake Clan "Zero Tolerance."
+Associate editor at http://www.gaminggroove.com
+
+"Sun-treader, light and life be thine for ever!" Robert Browning,
+"Pauline."
+
+Visit my home page at http://www.aros.net/~chase to view the
+virtual gallery of fantasy art of Jesse Allen, and the home site
+of the Wasatch Avian Education Society.

*Vanguard*

Chase Kimball said in news:rPQuc.22330$3x.10108@attbi_s54:
I have been lurking for a while in case this is a common problem, but
I haven't seen anything on it, so here goes. I am running AVG 6 on
my Win XP Pro computer. I also use Zonealarm freeware. I like
having the Resident Shield program running in the background, but
every time I reboot Resident Shield is deactivated, and I have to
start it up again. Grisoft doesn't support their freeware AV, and I
can find nothing on this in their various FAQs. Anyone else having
this problem?

You might check the Zonelab forums. If you have ZoneAlarm 5 then you're
in the same boat as many other users. Apparently the new version
doesn't play nice with anti-virus software from vendors other than
Zonelabs. I was thinking of using ZoneAlarm but version 5 doesn't look
a good choice right now.

Euclid

Maybe it got unchecked in msconfig startup somehow. See if the box for
avgcc32 is checked. (Run msconfig, startup tab)

I'm running Windows XP Home (SP1) with the latest updates along with
ZoneAlarm 5 and AVG 6 with no problems. It doesn't recognize AVG 6 as
anti-virus software, but that's OK. It doesn't hurt anything.
-E

[...]

Jan Il

--

Have you got the Disable Resident Shield checked on the Resident Shield tab?
If so, then uncheck it and see if this helps.

Program | Resident Shield tab, look in the left toward the bottom.

Also, Check your Startup and see if it is checked or unchecked to start on
Startup. If it is unchecked, check it and it will then start up when you
boot up.

Start | Run, type in MSCONFIG, hit ok, then click Startup tab. Look for the
AVG files and be sure their boxes are all checked. Then click ok and close
out.

HTH

Jan :)

Top