Problem saving IE6 pictures!

Bill

When right clicking on a picture, then clicking "save picture as", IE6
is only offering me the BMP option! I know that the pictures I'm
trying to save are GIF's and JPG's, since I've been testing this
problem on my own web page. How can I tell IE6 that I wish to save
GIF's as GIF's and JPG's as JPG's? Note that this problem just
started within the last few days, before "save picture as" always
worked fine.

Thanks, Bill

Don Varnau

Hi,
Clearing the IE cache nearly always fixes this. IE> Tools> Internet Options>
General> Delete files (and delete offline content.) It's often recommended
that the TIF folder be kept at about 50 MB (Settings.)

There are a couple of other possibilities mentioned in these articles:
260650 - Internet Explorer Does Not Save Graphics Files in the Proper Format
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260650
810978 - Internet Explorer Saves Images As Bitmaps

Don
MVP IE/OE

"Bill" wrote in message news:p[email protected]...

Bill

Hi Don,

I did everything that all the KB articles suggested but no luck. So I
then moved all the "Downloaded Program Files" to a "temp" directory to
see if this would help - no luck again. While at it, I noticed that
the Index.DAT file in my Content.IE5 folder had grown to 16 MB! I
deleted the file, the new Index.DAT file defaulted to 32 KB, and the
problem was solved.

Two comments:

Deleting this file was a booger, I finally ended up booting to Safe
Mode, Command Prompt, to delete the file. I'm glad I know something
about DOS or I would have been in trouble!

Why is the Content file named Content.IE5 when I've been using IE6
since the first day it came out?

Thanks for the help, you got me pointed in the right direction!

- Bill

Frances [MSFT]

Hello Bill,

Good to hear the problem is resolved. Don, thanks for your suggestion and
resources.

I would like to give some additional information regarding your comments.

As far as I know, the folder Content.ie5 is a system folder. The folder
should not be deleted. If you have already deleted Content.ie5, restart
your computer and then empty the Recycle Bin. The Content.ie5 folder should
be recreated the next time you start Internet Explorer.

So, it has nothing to do with the IE5 or IE6 we are using.

According to your problem and the resolution, it seems that the corrupt of
the INDEX.DAT file in the Temporary Internet Files folder is the main
cause.

The files that Internet Explorer has downloaded are in the "hashed" folders
under the Content.IE5 folder. IE tracks these files in the INDEX.DAT file
in the Content.IE5 folder(s).

Hope this helps. In the future, if you have any other concerns, please feel
free to let us know.

Best regards,

Frances He

Microsoft Online Partner Support