Problem on HP iPAQ hx 4700

Neville Lang

Hi all,

I have a customer who has just purchased a new HP iPAQ hx 4700 as well as my
app. After installing it, he tries to start my app and during its startup,
he gets a runtime error "Unexpected error..." On tapping the details button,
he gets:

MyApp.Exe
Exception

MISC::HandleAr+0x5B
ImageCollection::Add+0x2E
827d6bb241354d8b::85601834555fb7d5
+0x10e2
827d6bb241354d8b::.ctor+0x216
827d6bb241354d8b::c447809891322395
+0xa

This new model of iPAQ has the WM2003SE. When the Dell Axim X30s were
released, I modified my app to cater for the ImageList issue, and my
customers with Dell Axim X30s were then able to run my app perfectly after
that.

While the error above does indicate the ImageCollection, can anyone shed
some light on what might be going on? What is different in the new HP iPAQ
hx4700 and WM2003SE that might cause the above runtime error when trying to
start up an app? As previously mentioned, the changes I implemented for the
ImageList issue now work OK on the Dell Axim X30 with WM2003SE.

I do not own one of these new iPAQs but hope that someone out there might
have tried their .NET CF app on one of these new models. Do all .NET CF apps
work on these newer models?

Regards,
Neville Lang

Alex Yakhnin, MVP

This is a known bug on hx 4700 that's been addressed my MS.
There's a possibility it will be fixed in SP3.

Neville Lang

Alex,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I guess what you are saying is that the ImageCollection runtime error
problem is only applicable to the combination of HP iPAQ hx 4700 and
WM2003SE. Is that correct?

Do you know if the other new models of HP iPAQ with WM2003SE, such as the
rz1715, rx3115 and rx3715, also have this problem?

Is there any known workaround I can apply in code to fix this problem?

Regards,
Neville Lang

Do you know if the other new models of HP iPAQ with WM2003SE, such as the
rz1715, rx3115 and rx3715, also have this problem?

Since I don't have access to these models, I can not answer this question.

As for workaround, it looks like this problem has been related to using
icons as a resource file for ImageList so you can try to convert the icons to
any other image format.

Neville Lang

Alex,

I found out that the problem seems to be the way the HP iPAQ hx4700 handles
an ImageList for ToolBar buttons. Other sources I found on Google searching
indicate that about half of the hx4700 (or hx4705, it does not matter which
one) seem to fail on this ImageList problem while the other half are OK,
under .NET CF. Apaprently, HP have been advised.

I finally found a workaround with my customer, so he is happy now.

Here is what I did up to now:

a) Till now, I have been using BMPs as image sources for the ImageList
mapped to my ToolBar buttons. Using the VS .NET 2003 Designer, these were
automatically added to Resources and the image extracted from resources for
the ToolBar button using the GetObject() method.

In my tests, I removed the ImageList.Images.Add() from the
InitializeComponent (created by the Designer) and moved them to a method
that is called last in my main form's constructor. This method, I call
SetToolBar(), was created when I needed a workaround to the WM2003SE problem
where the ImageList assignment needed to be moved out of InitializeComponent
and to a method that was last to run in the main form's constructor.

Not only did I move out the ImageList.Images.Add() from the
InitializeComponent but I also changed the call to them by using:

ImageList.Images.Add(new
Bitmap(Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().GetManifestResourceStream("MyProject.
tbImage1.bmp"))).

Additionally, the BMP files Build Action property was set to Embedded
Resource. This approach did not fix the problem.

b) Next, I externalized the BMP files by changing their Build Action to
Content and then changed the call to:

ImageList.Images.Add(new Bitmap(File.Open("\\MyApp\\tbImage1.bmp",
FileMode.Open)))

The BMP files were sent to my customer separately and installed on the
Pocket PC in the same folder as my EXE. This idea did not work either.

c) I decided to test if there was a graphic format problem and so created
new ICO files, based on the BMP files. The BMP files Build Action were all
set back to None and the ICO files had Content set by default. I then
changed the call to:

ImageList.Images.Add(new Icon(File.Open(\\MyApp\\tbImage1.ico,
FileMode.Open)))

and sent my customer the ICO files together with the new EXE. Lo and behold,
this worked for my customer.

So, to summarize, it appears that the Images.Add() need to be moved out of
the Designer (InitializeComponent) and done at runtime after
InitializeComponent. As previously stated, I put them in my SetToolBar
method that sits at the end of the main form's constructor. From the early
testing I have done so far, it seems the HP hx4700 does not like BMP files
but ICO files are OK. I have yet to test whether I can embed them but that
will be something for tomorrow.

I will keep this NG advised as I find out more about a workaround to this
problem.

Regards,
Neville Lang

Boris Nienke

Hi all,

I have a customer who has just purchased a new HP iPAQ hx 4700 as well as my
app. After installing it, he tries to start my app and during its startup,
he gets a runtime error "Unexpected error..." On tapping the details button,
he gets:

MyApp.Exe
Exception
[...]

Take a look at this Forum-Thread:
http://www.ipaqhq.com/forums/showthread.php?p=44048

There's a fix available (Registry-Hack). Try it and please let me know if
it helps. I would like to add it to my .Net-FAQ but i have no access to a
hx4700 device to test by myself

Boris

Neville Lang

Boris,

Your link was one area on Google that I also found. Though I saw some
workaround code, I did not see a registry hack as a solution.

If you have a look at this thread, I did find another workaround and
reported it. You might be interested in my findings so far.

Regards,
Neville Lang

Boris Nienke said:
Hi all,

I have a customer who has just purchased a new HP iPAQ hx 4700 as well as my
app. After installing it, he tries to start my app and during its startup,
he gets a runtime error "Unexpected error..." On tapping the details button,
he gets:

MyApp.Exe
Exception
[...]

Take a look at this Forum-Thread:
http://www.ipaqhq.com/forums/showthread.php?p=44048

There's a fix available (Registry-Hack). Try it and please let me know if
it helps. I would like to add it to my .Net-FAQ but i have no access to a
hx4700 device to test by myself

Boris

Fernando Fanton [MSFT]

NETCF SP3 will most certainly contain a fix for this issue nevertheless
whether the hack is aplied or not.

For more info go to:
Mobility: http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility
NETCF:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/prodtechinfo/devtools/netcf/default.aspx

| From: "Alex Yakhnin, MVP" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Problem on HP iPAQ hx 4700
| Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 06:26:58 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| This is a known bug on hx 4700 that's been addressed my MS.
| There's a possibility it will be fixed in SP3.
|
| --
| Alex Yakhnin, NET CF MVP
| IntelliProg, Inc.
| http://www.intelliprog.com
|
| | > Hi all,
| >
| > I have a customer who has just purchased a new HP iPAQ hx 4700 as well
as
| my
| > app. After installing it, he tries to start my app and during its
startup,
| > he gets a runtime error "Unexpected error..." On tapping the details
| button,
| > he gets:
| >
| > MyApp.Exe
| > Exception
| >
| > MISC::HandleAr+0x5B
| > ImageCollection::Add+0x2E
| > 827d6bb241354d8b::85601834555fb7d5
| > +0x10e2
| > 827d6bb241354d8b::.ctor+0x216
| > 827d6bb241354d8b::c447809891322395
| > +0xa
| >
| > This new model of iPAQ has the WM2003SE. When the Dell Axim X30s were
| > released, I modified my app to cater for the ImageList issue, and my
| > customers with Dell Axim X30s were then able to run my app perfectly
after
| > that.
| >
| > While the error above does indicate the ImageCollection, can anyone shed
| > some light on what might be going on? What is different in the new HP
iPAQ
| > hx4700 and WM2003SE that might cause the above runtime error when trying
| > start up an app? As previously mentioned, the changes I implemented for
| the
| > ImageList issue now work OK on the Dell Axim X30 with WM2003SE.
| >
| > I do not own one of these new iPAQs but hope that someone out there
might
| > have tried their .NET CF app on one of these new models. Do all .NET CF
| apps
| > work on these newer models?
| >
| > Regards,
| > Neville Lang

Neville Lang

Fernando,

Can you enlighten me as to what you meant by "hack". Do you mean registry
hack? If so, is there a link to some information on it? I have not seen that
yet.

I have found a problem with the ImageList processing BMP files but OK using
ICO files. Can I assume you are not talking about this situation?

Regards,
Neville Lang

"Fernando Fanton [MSFT]" said:
NETCF SP3 will most certainly contain a fix for this issue nevertheless
whether the hack is aplied or not.

For more info go to:
Mobility: http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility
NETCF:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/prodtechinfo/devtools/netcf/default.aspx

| From: "Alex Yakhnin, MVP" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Problem on HP iPAQ hx 4700
| Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 06:26:58 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| This is a known bug on hx 4700 that's been addressed my MS.
| There's a possibility it will be fixed in SP3.
|
| --
| Alex Yakhnin, NET CF MVP
| IntelliProg, Inc.
| http://www.intelliprog.com
|
| | > Hi all,
| >
| > I have a customer who has just purchased a new HP iPAQ hx 4700 as well
as
| my
| > app. After installing it, he tries to start my app and during its
startup,
| > he gets a runtime error "Unexpected error..." On tapping the details
| button,
| > he gets:
| >
| > MyApp.Exe
| > Exception
| >
| > MISC::HandleAr+0x5B
| > ImageCollection::Add+0x2E
| > 827d6bb241354d8b::85601834555fb7d5
| > +0x10e2
| > 827d6bb241354d8b::.ctor+0x216
| > 827d6bb241354d8b::c447809891322395
| > +0xa
| >
| > This new model of iPAQ has the WM2003SE. When the Dell Axim X30s were
| > released, I modified my app to cater for the ImageList issue, and my
| > customers with Dell Axim X30s were then able to run my app perfectly
after
| > that.
| >
| > While the error above does indicate the ImageCollection, can anyone shed
| > some light on what might be going on? What is different in the new HP
iPAQ
| > hx4700 and WM2003SE that might cause the above runtime error when trying
| > start up an app? As previously mentioned, the changes I implemented for
| the
| > ImageList issue now work OK on the Dell Axim X30 with WM2003SE.
| >
| > I do not own one of these new iPAQs but hope that someone out there
might
| > have tried their .NET CF app on one of these new models. Do all .NET CF
| apps
| > work on these newer models?
| >
| > Regards,
| > Neville Lang

Neville Lang

Hi all,

I am just letting this NG know that my final implementation for the
workaround that overcomes the HP hx 4700 ImageList problem was:

i) Use .ICO files in the project (instead of BMP files) and set their Build
Action to Embedded Resource
ii) Changed my method call to:

ImageList.Images.Add(new
Icon(Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().GetManifestResourceStream("MyProject.tb
Image1.ico")))

As stated in my earlier post, the above call(s) needs to be moved out of
InitializeComponent() and placed after the InitializeComponent().

iii) Rebuild solution

It seems the bottom line here is that BMP files do not work for the
ImageList and ToolBar on the new HP iPAQ hx4700 with WM2003SE while ICO
files do work.

I hope all of this information is helpful to others who come across this
model of Pocket PC.

Regards,
Neville Lang

Boris Nienke

If you have a look at this thread, I did find another workaround and
reported it. You might be interested in my findings so far.

where? last post is from 10-30-2004... i'm interessted in it

Boris

Boris Nienke

Neville Lang

Boris,

This was the last test I did today, embed the ICO files, so that only the
EXE need be updated or patched. This workaround has tested OK on my
customer's hx4700.

You can see what I did on my last post on the top part of this thread.

Regards,
Neville Lang

Fernando Fanton [MSFT]

This issue is still under investigation but this is the information that I
have at the moment, once we finish the investigation we will post KB
articles explaining the workarrounds on detail:

This is an OEM-specific bug in their display driver.
For now, a potential workaround is to set the registry value
HKLM\System\GDI\Drivers\ATI\DisableDeviceBitmap to "0"
See http://www.tweaks2k2.com/hx4700.htm and
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33089&postdays=0&post
order=asc&start=80&sid=4c2e106076d2e18f841967d9c3ab1150
There is also apparently a way to work around it in code. The workaround
is described on http://www.pc-counselor.com/hx4700.htm under "For
Developers".

For more info go to:
Mobility: http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility
NETCF:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/prodtechinfo/devtools/netcf/default.aspx

| From: "Neville Lang" <neville@MAPS_ONnjlsoftware.com>
| Subject: Re: Problem on HP iPAQ hx 4700
| Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 11:29:03 +1100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| Fernando,
|
| Can you enlighten me as to what you meant by "hack". Do you mean registry
| hack? If so, is there a link to some information on it? I have not seen
that
| yet.
|
| I have found a problem with the ImageList processing BMP files but OK
using
| ICO files. Can I assume you are not talking about this situation?
|
| Regards,
| Neville Lang

message
| | > NETCF SP3 will most certainly contain a fix for this issue nevertheless
| > whether the hack is aplied or not.
| >
| > For more info go to:
| > Mobility: http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility
| > NETCF:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/prodtechinfo/devtools/netcf/default.aspx

| rights.
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Alex Yakhnin, MVP" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Problem on HP iPAQ hx 4700
| > | Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 06:26:58 -0500
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP12
| > phx.gbl
| > |
| > | This is a known bug on hx 4700 that's been addressed my MS.
| > | There's a possibility it will be fixed in SP3.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Alex Yakhnin, NET CF MVP
| > | IntelliProg, Inc.
| > | http://www.intelliprog.com
| > |

| > as
| > | my
| > startup,
| > | button,

| > after

| shed
HP
| > iPAQ
| trying
| for
| > | the

| > might
| CF
| > | apps

| > |
| > |
| > |

Neville Lang

Fernando,

Thank you for this information, it was valuable. The workaround in code on
the link you supplied was essentially what I ended up with though that
solution seems better implemented.

Regards,
Neville Lang

"Fernando Fanton [MSFT]" said:
This issue is still under investigation but this is the information that I
have at the moment, once we finish the investigation we will post KB
articles explaining the workarrounds on detail:

This is an OEM-specific bug in their display driver.
For now, a potential workaround is to set the registry value
HKLM\System\GDI\Drivers\ATI\DisableDeviceBitmap to "0"
See http://www.tweaks2k2.com/hx4700.htm and
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33089&postdays=0&post
order=asc&start=80&sid=4c2e106076d2e18f841967d9c3ab1150
There is also apparently a way to work around it in code. The workaround
is described on http://www.pc-counselor.com/hx4700.htm under "For
Developers".

For more info go to:
Mobility: http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility
NETCF:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/prodtechinfo/devtools/netcf/default.aspx

| From: "Neville Lang" <neville@MAPS_ONnjlsoftware.com>
| Subject: Re: Problem on HP iPAQ hx 4700
| Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 11:29:03 +1100
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework
|
| Fernando,
|
| Can you enlighten me as to what you meant by "hack". Do you mean registry
| hack? If so, is there a link to some information on it? I have not seen
that
| yet.
|
| I have found a problem with the ImageList processing BMP files but OK
using
| ICO files. Can I assume you are not talking about this situation?
|
| Regards,
| Neville Lang

message
| | > NETCF SP3 will most certainly contain a fix for this issue nevertheless
| > whether the hack is aplied or not.
| >
| > For more info go to:
| > Mobility: http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility
| > NETCF:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/prodtechinfo/devtools/netcf/default.aspx

| rights.
| > --------------------
| > | From: "Alex Yakhnin, MVP" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Problem on HP iPAQ hx 4700
| > | Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 06:26:58 -0500
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework

cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP12

| > phx.gbl
| > |
| > | This is a known bug on hx 4700 that's been addressed my MS.
| > | There's a possibility it will be fixed in SP3.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Alex Yakhnin, NET CF MVP
| > | IntelliProg, Inc.