    after a cold reboot, it doesn't. I don't understand that at all.

    Thanks in advance,
    Peter

    Peter Strauss, Nov 8, 2005

  2. Have you tried using a card reader instead?
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    Cari \(MS-MVP\), Nov 8, 2005

  3. On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 21:59:26 -0800, "Cari \(MS-MVP\)"
    <> wrote:

    > Have you tried using a card reader instead?

    Thanks for the suggestion...that's my next line of attack if
    necessary, but actually, I'd rather not go to any more expense if I
    can help it.
    For some strange reason, after many reboots and on/off cycles with the
    camera, the last time I hooked it up the wizard for reading usb drives
    showed up and I was able to download the pictures.
    Very peculiar, how spotty this function is.
    I guess I'll just muddle along for a while and see if it continues to
    work.

    Peter

    Peter Strauss, Nov 8, 2005
  4. Peter Strauss

    Jim Guest

    Using a card reader can be a problem, depending on the camera. As someone
    who's owned several, I can tell you that MANY of these cameras, even the
    good ones, have very flimsy doors and hinges that cover the battery and
    memory card slots. Open those doors 40-50 times over several months, and
    trust me, you'll eventually break it. It's best to keep the card installed
    and then forget about it, treat it as integral memory. Granted, situation
    or design might thwart your efforts, but this is a big reason I don't use
    card readers as a rule.

    As far as the specific problem, I've never had an issue w/ a digital camera
    AT LEAST being recognized as a removable drive. The only purpose for the
    installation of camera specific drivers (at best I can tell) is to provide
    camera-specific services. Frankly, I find most of this software AWFUL.
    Olympus, Kodak, Canon, and the rest of them may build fine cameras, but when
    it comes to PC software, most of it is pretty awful. So in most cases, I
    don't even install the camera's driver or software. Either Windows
    recognizes it as a digital camera, and thus I get the "generic" camera
    wizard, which is FINE for most people, OR, worst case, it's just recognized
    as a removable drive (similar to a USB pen drive). In that case, it merely
    requires manipulation like any other files using Windows Explorer (CUT,
    COPY, PASTE). In some cases, the digital camera may have to be configured
    through its interface as a USB device before Windows will recognize it. I
    use to have to do that w/ my old HP PhotoSmart camera.

    HTH

    Jim

    Jim, Nov 9, 2005
  5. On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 21:05:45 -0800, "Jim" <> wrote:

    > Using a card reader can be a problem, depending on the camera. As someone
    > who's owned several, I can tell you that MANY of these cameras, even the
    > good ones, have very flimsy doors and hinges that cover the battery and
    > memory card slots. Open those doors 40-50 times over several months, and
    > trust me, you'll eventually break it. It's best to keep the card installed
    > and then forget about it, treat it as integral memory. Granted, situation
    > or design might thwart your efforts, but this is a big reason I don't use
    > card readers as a rule.
    >
    > As far as the specific problem, I've never had an issue w/ a digital camera
    > AT LEAST being recognized as a removable drive. The only purpose for the
    > installation of camera specific drivers (at best I can tell) is to provide
    > camera-specific services. Frankly, I find most of this software AWFUL.
    > Olympus, Kodak, Canon, and the rest of them may build fine cameras, but when
    > it comes to PC software, most of it is pretty awful. So in most cases, I
    > don't even install the camera's driver or software. Either Windows
    > recognizes it as a digital camera, and thus I get the "generic" camera
    > wizard, which is FINE for most people, OR, worst case, it's just recognized
    > as a removable drive (similar to a USB pen drive). In that case, it merely
    > requires manipulation like any other files using Windows Explorer (CUT,
    > COPY, PASTE). In some cases, the digital camera may have to be configured
    > through its interface as a USB device before Windows will recognize it. I
    > use to have to do that w/ my old HP PhotoSmart camera.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Jim

    Very helpful comments, Jim, and thanks much.
    I'll stay with what I've got for as long as it works, I guess.
    So far, so good (to my surprise, because I had a couple of times of
    its not working.)
    I think part of the problem is the sequence of turning on things...it
    seems to like it a lot better when I plug the camera in to the USB
    port, and then power up the camera. Then it goes to the appropriate
    wizard...the one which asks about downloading from the device, not the
    one which wants to install the camera but then doesn't have the brand
    listed, and no alternatives available (collosal FU on MS' part, yet
    again, seems to me.)
    Much appreciate your feedback.

    Peter

    Peter Strauss, Nov 9, 2005