problem finding available ports to run multiple remote desktop sessions

G

I am trying to setup several (3-5) people to access their work pcs from their homes. I am utilizing xp pro on the work pcs and connect through a linksys 4 port wired/wireless router. I have set the office pcs up to accept incoming remote desktop requests. I am utilizing port 3389 and 3390 so far. I have setup the router to port forward through these ports directly to the correct static ips of the work pcs. port 3389 is the default listening port for terminal services/remote desktop, so i have changed the listening port on the pc using port 3390 per microsoft's article on the topic. Using remote desktop and by typing the company's static address plus :3389 or :3390 I can access the correct pc on the network from anywhere. these two ports are working perfect for this application. my problem is that I need to find other ports that I can open on the router and change in the work pc's registry to facilitate more sessions. I have tried 3388 and 3391, but they don't seem to work. any thoughts as to which ports would be appropriate, would be appreciated
Thanks,Eric

A

asbill

I have the same issue, where is the answer!!!

-----Original Message-----
I am trying to setup several (3-5) people to access their
work pcs from their homes. I am utilizing xp pro on the
work pcs and connect through a linksys 4 port
wired/wireless router. I have set the office pcs up to
accept incoming remote desktop requests. I am utilizing
port 3389 and 3390 so far. I have setup the router to port
forward through these ports directly to the correct static
ips of the work pcs. port 3389 is the default listening
port for terminal services/remote desktop, so i have
changed the listening port on the pc using port 3390 per
microsoft's article on the topic. Using remote desktop and
by typing the company's static address plus :3389 or :3390
I can access the correct pc on the network from anywhere.
these two ports are working perfect for this application.
my problem is that I need to find other ports that I can
open on the router and change in the work pc's registry to
facilitate more sessions. I have tried 3388 and 3391, but
they don't seem to work. any thoughts as to which ports
would be appropriate, would be appreciated.

G

thanks for the tip, sooner al. after looking at what you sent and the screen that is in my version linksys router, i didn't realize that the port range "start" and "end" actually made reference to "external" and "internal" ports. I will try it.
Eric

Ask a Question