Problem - Computer cannot access internet (well not exactly.....)!.

Discussion in 'Windows Networking' started by Len, Oct 6, 2005.

  1. Len

    Len Guest

    I have the following situation and it's driving me nuts!! Any
    suggestions would be most welcome.

    Configuration: Wireless home network; 1 laptop running WinXP, 2
    desktops running Win98SE. All local communication good and one WinXP
    and one Win98SE perform everything OK.....BUT

    I have one Win98SE desktop that runs fine EXCEPT that it exhibits the
    following behaviour:

    1 - sharing: even though the other two computers can see this PC OK on
    network neighbourhood, they cannot access any resources on it even
    though everything is set properly. This computer can see the local
    workgroup through network neighbourhood and access resources on the
    other two computers.

    2 - When copying files from or to it from one of the other two
    computers (using explorer drag and drop) it is incredibly slow!

    3 - internet access - even though the the other two computers on the
    netowrk can access the internet just fine, this one can never reach a
    web page. It does seem to get the typed url resolved to the IP address
    OK, but never is able to display the web page. I have tried IE6,
    Opera, and Firefox with same result.

    I have tried with and without various different software firewalls. I
    have swapped the two wireless network cards between the two Win98SE
    computers and the problem persists, so I don't think the card is the
    problem.

    I can ping a url OK from this computer. I can ping this comnputer
    from either of the other two on the home network.

    Any ideas please?

    Len, Oct 6, 2005

  2. Len

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    In General you can debug the Network Setting of the computer following these
    steps.[/
    Step One. Check the Network parameters in the Computer's Device Manager.
    Make sure that the drivers are installed correctly; there is No IRQ
    conflict, and No Ghost installation. http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost
    Step Two Verify Basic network setting in the OS:
    http://www.ezlan.net/Installing#verify
    If the above two Steps indicates that every thing looks good but
    functionally it does not work.
    Step Three. Check (and repair if necessary) the Socket Layers, Winsock, and
    or refresh the TCP/IP Stack. http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet
    If need to Reinstall; Log to this page it have a lot of links to
    instructions for Windows Network Installation -
    http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Oct 7, 2005

  3. Len

    Len Guest

    Thank you for the reply.

    I have tried what you suggested above but without success.

    Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

    Thanks, Len

    Len, Oct 10, 2005