Problem Child (Black Screen with a twistt)

Reaction score
HI all

As you can guess im new to the site and my first post is a just like my name , Big Problem, My little brother was on the computer and has some how turned OFF a Driver for the monitor (Got to love those kids). Now when I start up the Computer The boot screen appears, After the XP loading screen is done the screen goes black, The LED is still green and the Keybroad lights still light and the computer still runs, HELP Oh yeah it will not load up in safe mode anymore ethier!

Things I have tried

1. BIOS reset to normal settings
2. Reinstalled XP pro
3. Cried!
4. Tried a diffrent Monitor

Thanks for any help
(Im not a Big IT guy, More Bottom feeder IT type of thing)

Last edited:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
if you've reinstalled XP then i'd say the problem can't be with the drivers, did you install the drivers when you reinstalled XP ?

i'd try a different monitor and graphics card

Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
if you've reinstalled XP then i'd say the problem can't be with the drivers, did you install the drivers when you reinstalled XP ?

i'd try a different monitor and graphics card

Sorry should have said that as well, I tired a diffrent Monitor and still nothing, I have no clue what to do, I dont see it being a dirver myself as it seems to be able to display the Boot up and XP load up screen no problem, It is just where it gets to The Desktop that it goes all black!

Will try another graphics card!

Thanks for the advice

Reaction score
Nope still no change, But thanks , I may just need to take it to a repair shop and see what happens!

Reaction score
Have you cheked the leads at back?

If monitor goes black screen usually means no signal as you well know. However check to see if lead has not come loose first! Then check to see if gfx card has not loosened in its slot. Maybe the fan has stopped functioning on the card? Check that aswell

Loads and loads of things could be wrong. Just a question of elimination

Also try booting in safe mode. If that works restore xp to the day previous to it not working!

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If it's showing POST and part of the Win XP start process, it can't be a fault with the graphics card or monitor.

When you say you reinstalled Win XP what exactly did you do?

Ask a Question