Problem booting computer with windows 2000

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Hardware' started by Epetruk, May 18, 2006.

  1. Epetruk

    Epetruk Guest

    Hello,

    I have a computer which has windows 2000 installed. When I boot it up, the
    normal screens appear up to the point where the Windows 2000 banner appears.
    Then the screen goes blank, the monitor light starts to blink, and nothing I
    do can cause it to come back on.

    The computer does work - I find that I can go into Safe Mode and see
    everything on the screen. I searched online for a solution to my problem -
    one post seemed to suggest that perhaps the monitor couldn't handle the
    refresh rate that Windows 2000 chooses for it on start up. However, I can't
    find where I might adjust this value to a mor e suitable value for the
    monitor.

    Any help will be gratefully received.

    --
    Akin

    (aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk)

    Epetruk, May 18, 2006

  2. Epetruk

    seth Guest

    start -> settings -> control panel -> display properties -> settings
    could be the refresh rate or the resolution is too high

    seth, May 18, 2006

  3. Epetruk

    Glen Guest

    And if that doesn't work, boot into Safe Mode and uninstall any
    existing video drivers via Add/Remove Programs (most video
    drivers will have an entry here).

    Glen, May 18, 2006
  4. Epetruk

    Epetruk Guest

    Seth,

    Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, I cannot do this.

    If I try booting in regular mode, the monitor blanks out, so I cannot see
    the screen to change the settings.

    If I try booting in safe mode, I only see a 'default refresh rate' setting
    which cannot be changed.

    Any further ideas?

    Akin

    Epetruk, May 18, 2006
  5. Epetruk

    Epetruk Guest

    Glen,

    Did you mean Add/Remove Hardware instead of Add/Remove Programs?

    Akin

    Epetruk, May 18, 2006
  6. Epetruk

    DL Guest

    Add/Remove Programs

    DL, May 19, 2006
  7. Epetruk

    seth Guest

    try this...
    boot in safe mode, open explorer and open the c:\boot.ini file
    it's possible the file is read-only; right click the file and go to
    properties. uncheck the read-only box if it is checked
    open the file, and you'll see a line that starts with multi(0) etc.
    select that line and copy it. (edit -> copy)
    at the end of the line, press enter and paste (edit -> paste) what you just
    copied. you should have 2 identical lines
    on the line you just pasted, make 2 changes. where it says in quotes
    "windows 2000 professional" insert -VGA so it reads "windows 2000
    professional -VGA"
    then at the end of the line add (this time without the quotes) /basevideo
    /sos
    at the very top where it says timeout, make sure the value is at least 30,
    that way you have a chance to make a selection
    reboot normally, and you should receive a startup menu. select the second
    option which says "windows 2000 professional -VGA"
    the /basevideo switch tells windows to use the standard vga driver. when you
    select it, you will also see the list of drivers being loaded (from the /sos
    switch)
    this is different from safe mode, so you should have a better chance of
    changing your video driver

    more information about the /basevideo switch can be found here:

    Available switch options for the Windows 2000 Boot.ini file
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833722/en-us

    seth, May 19, 2006
  8. Epetruk

    Gary Chanson Guest

    When Win2K starts to load, press F8 to bring up the boot menu and select
    "Start in VGA Mode". After booting, you should be able to set the video to a
    reasonable setting and then reboot into the normal video mode.

    --

    - Gary Chanson (Windows SDK MVP)
    - Abolish Public Schools

    Gary Chanson, May 19, 2006