Problem: Backup system state

cc

I'm backing up my system state from accessories -->
system tools --> backup. Supposingly it should backup
active directory as well but at the end of the backup i
got this message saying that my AD cannot be read.
Therefore the backup is verified as unusable.

What could be the possible problems? I'm a domain admin
and also backup operator.

Please advise. Thank you.

David Pharr [MSFT]

Assuming the DC is not experiencing other problems, try performing the
System State backup again. Make sure you follow the steps in the below
listed article:

240363 HOW TO: Use the Backup Program to Back Up and Restore the System
State
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=240363

If it still fails a second time, you may be encountering a known issue if
all of the following is true:
- The domain controller is running Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (SP4).
- You log on to the domain controller by using a Terminal Services session.
- You log on to the domain controller as a member of the Backup Operators
security group.
- You try to back up the System State files by using the Windows Backup
utility (Ntbackup.exe).

If that is the case, there is a hotfix to address that issue. The
following workaround should enable you to proceed without the hotfix (it
can't hurt to test this even if the above conditions are not true for you)

1. Log on to the domain controller.
2. Click "Start", point to "Programs", point to "Administrative Tools",
and then click "Domain Controller Security Policy".
3. Expand "Security Settings", expand "Local Policies", and then click
"User Rights Assignment".
4. In the right pane, double-click "Create global objects".
5. Click to select the "Define these policy settings" check box, and
then click "Add".
6. Add the Backup Operators security group, add Administrator, and then
click "OK".
7. In the "Security Policy Setting" dialog box, click "OK", and then
quit the Domain Controller Security Policy utility.
8. Restart the server.

David Pharr, (e-mail address removed)