Problem 80 wire cable for hard disk

Rod Speed

Desk Rabbit wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Any information is useful at this point.

Wrong again.
It may be a known problem

Bet it isnt.
but without knowing what he's got the chances of finding out are less than zero.

Wrong again. The obvious thing to try is a another 80 wire cable and check that the
drive connectors are being plugged in the right way around if they arent polarised.

Desk Rabbit

Desk Rabbit wrote

Wrong again.

Without facts and information ant diagnostic is just pure guesswork.
Bet it isnt.
Could be, maybe not. 50-50 chance of guessing correctly. 100% success
with correct information.
Wrong again. The obvious thing to try is a another 80 wire cable and check that the
drive connectors are being plugged in the right way around if they arent polarised.

I strongly suggest you go back and read the OP's message fully before
you dig yourself a deeper hole than you are already in. I'll draw your
attention to the particular sentence which says:

"I tried also other hard disks as well other 80 wire cables, still no go."

VanguardLH

Rod said:
VanguardLH wrote

So that claim is just plain wrong. There is in fact that very real difference.

Dont need one. I use the ATA standard.

<reams of you proving what I said flushed where it belongs>

Good luck trying to configure 2 hard drives to use cable select when the
80-wire cable that you happen to use has pin 28 connected on both device
connectors.

ClueLess

Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage, 24hoursupport.helpdesk

Hi Friends

Here is a strange problem, when I connect my hard disk using the 80
wire cable my computer does not recognize it.

Here are some clarifications:

Mercury 845GL mobo
Only one drive checked at a time.
The drives checked are all Seagate 80 gb
The original hard disk was working for years with the 80 conductor
cable, correctly mounted - blue end on mobo, hard drive at the end,
set as master.

Only after I checked with another similar hard disk that the problem
started.

I have tried several 80 conductor cables and none work.

All the drives are recognized without exception when using the 40
conductor cable.

I have been using computers since CP/M days and assemble my own when
required but this has got me stumped.

I am very happy at the enthusiastic response from so many of you but
the explanation still eludes :-(

Rod Speed

Desk Rabbit wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Without facts and information ant diagnostic is just pure guesswork.

And I told the OP how to diagnose the problem. No guesswork whatever involved.
Could be, maybe not. 50-50 chance of guessing correctly.

Wrong again. There is a much lower proobability than that that your guess is correct.
100% success with correct information.

Not with the information you requested there wont be.
I strongly suggest you go back and read the OP's message fully

I know what the OP said.
before you dig yourself a deeper hole than you are already in.

You're the one desperately attempting to bullshit its way out if its predicament.
I'll draw your attention to the particular sentence which says:
"I tried also other hard disks as well other 80 wire cables, still no go."

Doesnt eliminate the possibility that the OP isnt putting the drive connector
on the wrong way around with a non polarised connector on the cable.

Rod Speed

VanguardLH wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Good luck trying to configure 2 hard drives to use cable
select when the 80-wire cable that you happen to use
has pin 28 connected on both device connectors.

Irrelevant to the fact that your original is just plain wrong.

And **** all 80 wire cables are like that anyway.

And the OP said that more than one 80 wire cable had been tried.

Rod Speed

Here are some clarifications:
Mercury 845GL mobo
Only one drive checked at a time.
The drives checked are all Seagate 80 gb
The original hard disk was working for years with the 80 conductor
cable, correctly mounted - blue end on mobo, hard drive at the end,
set as master.

You didnt say if the drive connectors or the motherboard end are polarised.
Only after I checked with another similar hard disk that the problem started.
I have tried several 80 conductor cables and none work.
All the drives are recognized without exception when using the 40 conductor cable.

And that should happen with an 80 wire cable too.
I have been using computers since CP/M days and assemble
my own when required but this has got me stumped.
I am very happy at the enthusiastic response from so many of you but the explanation still eludes :-(

Most likely you arent putting the connector in the right way around with the
80 wire cables, or its some weird effect with that particular motherboard.

The motherboard does decide if the 80 wire cable is a cable
select cable from what it can see of the cable, its possible
that that detection has now failed but thats not very likely at all.

Are the drives jumpered for cable select ? I guess its possible
that they arent and someone had to kludge around a failure of
the bios to detect the drive initially and that kludge got bypassed
with the attempt to test a different drive or something.

Desk Rabbit

Desk Rabbit wrote

And I told the OP how to diagnose the problem. No guesswork whatever involved.

Wrong again. There is a much lower proobability than that that your guess is correct.

Not with the information you requested there wont be.

I know what the OP said.

You're the one desperately attempting to bullshit its way out if its predicament.

Translation: Shit! He's right, better launch an attack.
Doesnt eliminate the possibility that the OP isnt putting the drive connector
on the wrong way around with a non polarised connector on the cable.

Indeed it doesn't but one can reasonable assume that he roughly knows
what he is doing in terms of putting cables on the right way round as
the 40 pin cable works.

Please feel free to carry on clutching at random straws, you might hit
on a solution by sheer luck eventually ;-)

Rod Speed

Desk Rabbit wrote
Rod Speed wrote

And it turns out that when he posted that info, it isnt.
Translation: Shit! He's right, better launch an attack.

Real Translation: of your shit, I never ever could bullshit my way out of a wet paper bag.
Indeed it doesn't but one can reasonable assume that he roughly knows what he is doing in terms of putting cables on
the right way round as the 40 pin cable works.

You dont even know where they are polarised and the 80 wire cable connectors arent.
Please feel free to carry on clutching at random straws, you might hit on a solution by sheer luck eventually ;-)

You never did. He posted the info you wanted and it turned out that it didnt help.

Funny that.

Hilarious, actually.

Have fun bullshitting your way out of that.

rf

nobody > said:
Huh? Same 40-pin connector.

Another Huh? moment.. the OP stated it didn't show in BIOS.

If it ain't in the BIOS, it ain't gonna be in Device Mangler.

Another one for the RtS playbook of screwups...

I'm waiting for him to come back calling everyone idiots. He usually has at
least one swipe before going poof and disappearing.

VanguardLH

Rod said:
Irrelevant to the fact that your original is just plain wrong.

Yes, we've seen that you are trying to deny reality regarding that some
80-wire cables have pin 28 attached and some do not.
And **** all 80 wire cables are like that anyway.

Are like what? Some have pin 28 attached, others don't. So "like that"
means what? That you don't know until you test?
And the OP said that more than one 80 wire cable had been tried.

Not at the time that I posted. The OP said they switched from the 80-wire
cable to a 40-wire cable, not that another 80-wire cable had been tested.
Reread the *original* post which is to what I replied. Sorry, but my
crystal ball is in the shop so I couldn't see that the OP would later say.

Desk Rabbit

Desk Rabbit wrote

And it turns out that when he posted that info, it isnt.

Real Translation: of your shit, I never ever could bullshit my way out of a wet paper bag.

You dont even know where they are polarised and the 80 wire cable connectors arent.

You never did. He posted the info you wanted and it turned out that it didnt help.

Funny that.

Hilarious that another poster was able to post the correct jumper
settings for the drive because now we know what the OP has.

Hilarious, actually.

Have fun bullshitting your way out of that.
Have fun repeatedly swapping cables and wibbling about which way round
they should go. It's really quite amusing to watch.

Rod Speed

VanguardLH wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Yes, we've seen that you are trying to deny reality regarding
that some 80-wire cables have pin 28 attached and some do not.

Everyone can see you are lying, as always.
Are like what? Some have pin 28 attached, others don't.

**** all are not cable select cables, fool.
So "like that" means what? That you don't know until you test?
Not at the time that I posted.

Another lie. The OP said that in the original post, liar.
The OP said they switched from the 80-wire cable to a 40-wire
cable, not that another 80-wire cable had been tested.

Another lie. The original post says

There it is, you're too stupid to have even noticed.
Reread the *original* post which is to what I replied.

Done that. You lie.
Sorry, but my crystal ball is in the shop so I couldn't see that the OP would later say.

Thats what the OP said in the original post, you pathetic excuse for a lying bullshit artist.

Rod Speed

Meat Plow wrote
Have you tried a new, unopened package 80 wire cable? I can't imagine
an IDE controller knowing the difference between 40 and 80 wires

They do actually. The two cables look different to the motherboard.
unless there is something wrong with it in that it
is sensitive to a difference in cable impedence.

One of the pins on the motherboard connector is different.
I would assume an 80 wire cable has a difference in impedence vs a 40 wire.

That effect isnt used.

Rod Speed

Desk Rabbit wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Hilarious that another poster was able to post the correct jumper
settings for the drive because now we know what the OP has.

The OP could have checked that for itself if told to do that without knowing what drive it was.
Have fun repeatedly swapping cables and wibbling about which way round they should go. It's really quite amusing to
watch.

Like I said, you never ever could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

Desk Rabbit

Desk Rabbit wrote

The OP could have checked that for itself if told to do that without knowing what drive it was.
Wriggle, squirm.. ROFL!
Like I said, you never ever could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

Here's a small task for you. Rearrange the following into a well know
phrase or saying. Pot kettle calling black the.

Clue, try randomly juggling the words around until it makes sense.