Printing Issues through Network

Reaction score
Hey,
I am having trouble with printing through my network. The printer is listed as: HP Color LaserJet 2600n on "the PC name of another computer on the network"

I can only print when the other computer the printer is apparently "on", which lets call 'COMP B', is turned on.

The problem lies in that the COMP B is not hardwired to the printer or anything, and other computers on the home network are able to find the printer independently and print from it when COMP B is off?!

Please Help!!

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Yep, that's normal function. If you install the printer on one machine and share it via the network with that machine, the shared printer machine MUST be on to print. That's the way the service works.

I assume that your printer connects to your network via the router?
If this is the case, you have to find the IP address and install the software for the printer on the machine from which you'd like to print. I recommend assigning your printer a static number so that in the case of power failure, the address does not change. Once you do that, point all the computers to that IP address via printer properties (install the software and point it to the printer on the question machine) and you should be able to print from all machines without worry that they are on or off.

Reaction score
Thanks mate for your reply. I'm sorry but I'm a bit of a gumby at doing all this so would there be any chance that you could post some more detailed instructions about what to do?

Thanks!

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Typically, these network settings are accessed via the setup menu. I anticipate that your printer has a screen of some sort on it. If this is the case, most printers have a setup button. Press that. At which point, navigate to the settings feature. These instructions can vary from printer to printer. For example, my HP printer at the house has a settings button which brings up various settings on the printer. From there I can select Network and view settings of the network or change them.

See page 33 for printout of your current settings.
http://www.partshere.com/Models/Q6455A/CLJ_2600nTroubleshooting.pdf

See Network setup link. Also for drivers and software.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...odTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=446153&taskId=115

Follow these instructions and you should be fine.

Reaction score
We have an similar problem, our network of over 20 computers, with three different printers are all hooked up to our switch/router. For the most part all computer can print to the color, black and white and copier printer. Some computers, however, do not print to the color and some do not print to the black and white. All three printers have their own static IP, I've doubled checked the IP settings on the printers and the pcs they are all correct. My problem is i've tried to print from them after going in as an admin and changed the security settings to allow for all users to print, it still did not work.

The confusing part about this is some pc's will print and others will not print, what would cause this problem? Is there something I'm not missing or what? All settings for the domain and IP's on each individual computer is correct. Any and all help will be appreciated.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
All settings for the domain

If you have a domain setup, you should have a print server. If you are running Win 7 and Server2003, there are known issues with printing due to the domain configuration.

What OS are the clients running?
What OS is your DC running?
Do you have the printers configured on a server, as they will be managed by AD?
Are your PCs members of the domain?

I would imagine that the first issue is permissions to print. This will be something set within your group policy.

However, with the admission of a domain configuration, a bit more detail is required on how you actually have it setup.

Ask a Question