Printers in Users Profiles

G

Hello

We have Active Directory setup with over 400 users. Each user can connect to any printer that is listed in AD (these are network printers), I presume this information is stored somewhere in the users roaming profile setup.

I want to do an audit of each users profile (stored on our server) and see which printers they are connected to. As some of the printers they may have connections too no longer exist.

Is a utility or a way that will allow me to scan the users profile and present a list of printers they have connections to?

J

Jerold Schulman

Hello

We have Active Directory setup with over 400 users. Each user can connect to any printer that is listed in AD (these are network printers), I presume this information is stored somewhere in the users roaming profile setup.

I want to do an audit of each users profile (stored on our server) and see which printers they are connected to. As some of the printers they may have connections too no longer exist.

Is a utility or a way that will allow me to scan the users profile and present a list of printers they have connections to?

The information is in the users NTUSER.DAT file:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PrinterPorts

I suggest you use regedit to export this key to a network share in the logon
script. See tip 2750 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

Something like:

if not exist "%LOGONSERVER%\Printers\%username%.reg" regedit /a
"%LOGONSERVER%\Printers\%username%.reg"
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PrinterPorts"

The above is one line. Don't forget to SHARE Printers.

Then, when you have them all, write a script to report the ones that shouldn't
be there. a FINDSTR against a file of valid printers in a FOR construct would do
it.

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

Ask a Question