Printer share problem (0x00000709 Error)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Print / Fax / Scan' started by Joaquim Oliveira, Mar 10, 2010.

  1. Iam putting this message here becasue I didn´t find any group regarding
    windows 7 printing.

    I have two networks at work xxx.xxx.0.xxx/24 for cable and xxx.xxx.1.xxx/24
    for wireless notebooks. There is a soho router between these networks to
    deliver packets between them.

    Almost everything is running smoothly except for printing. I stated that the
    wi-fi network has access to 2 computers on the xxx.xxx.0.xxx/24 network. The
    main router, which provides internet connection (works like a charm!) and a
    wired machine connected to a printer.

    The problem is that I can connect to that machine through it´s IP number
    (\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) and see all it´s shared folders and components (i.e the
    printer). I can access these shared folders, copy and paste files, create
    folders and see shared the printer as well. But when I try to attach this
    printer remotely to one of the wi-fi notebooks, I receive this message
    (translated from portuguese to english, but you´ll get the idea):

    "Not able to conclude the operation, error 0x00000709. Verify the name of
    the printer and if it is connected to the network."

    Can you guys give me a help?

    Thank you.

    Joaquim Oliveira, Mar 10, 2010

  2. this is the error, hex only needs decimal translation.

    E:\>winerror 0x709
    1801 ERROR_INVALID_PRINTER_NAME <--> No NTSTATUS matched

    Is the Windows 7 machine sharing the printer?

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    Alan Morris [MSFT], Mar 11, 2010