Windows XP Printer drop-down greyed out

Reaction score
Hi there
I have a client that when printing from MS Word 2003, is unable to define what printer she wishes to use. The drop down menu is simply greyed out. This means, that she can only print to the default printer

We use network printers by standard, but she along with a few other users have their own personal printers connected by USB, since they print sensitive information.

Her personal printer is an HP 1200 Laser

Best Regards
Anders

Last edited:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I've had this happen a couple of times. Once it was the USB connection was not tight and unplugging and then replugging it solved the problem.

The other time I had to totally disconnect the printer and delete everything about it in Control Panel>Printers. Then I reconnected the printer and ran through the Printer connection Wizard and hey presto!

I guess that if you're in IT you've already done both of these things but they may help anyone else who runs into the same problem. :)

Ask a Question