printer driver

W

Wilfried

CDR said:
Anyone know of a HP 960c driver that will work on Windows7?

Not from HP, but from Windows update
- I'm sure it works, because I myself had a HP960c on Win7 -
however with limited functionality:
The printer's ink and paper status messages are NOT displayed in Win7,
and you can only choose print quality draft, normal and best, but not
select the amount of ink, as HP's original driver would allow.

Connect the Win7 PC to the Internet, plug in the printer to USB and let
Windows search online for the driver (from Microsoft).

C

CDR

My problem is more complicated than I originally stated as the 960c is
connected to
a XP computer on a network. I would like to print using the 960c from a
Windows7
computer on the network.
CDR

C

CDR

How do change the printer port destination?

David H. Lipman said:
You would have to connect the HP printer via USB to the Win7 computer.
Then perform a Windows Update and obtain and install the Win7 driver for
the printer on that platform.

Then you would disconnect the HP printer and reconnect it to the WinXP PC.

Then you would go back to the Win7 PC and go to the Printers Control Panel
applet.

Change the Printer Port of the HP 960c from using USB00x to
\\WINXP_PC\QUEUE_NAME

D

David H. Lipman

David, I'm having a real hard time following this procedure in my head.
In all of this, what does "Windows Update" really mean?

I want to stress one problem that I experienced with my son's Canon printer: Windows
would not even see the printer at all! There was no "Found new hardware." No nothing. To
Win 7, the printer did not exist. The printer has existed to XP throughout.

Canon said, on their site, to get everything straight with "Windows Update." But didn't
expound any further.

Perhaps the problem is that Lenovo supplied the new computer already configured as 64
bit.

Sorry to be such a downer. I'm really disgusted with Microsoft, and Canon's not feeling
too good to me, either. I just can't get it up for planned obsolescence. It's Linux for
me.

Richard

OK Richard. It is like this...

When hardware connects to a Windows system it passes a string or strings containing unique
identifiers which provide information about the make and model of the hardware. This is
used for the process called "Plug 'n Play". These strings are used by the Windows OS to
find suitable drivers. Some come stock to the OS and others will require a manufacturer's
set of software, When you go to Windows update there are several relative categories of
software that is pushed through the update process.

1. OS hotfixes/patches
2. MS application hotfixes/patches
3. MS utilities
4. Windows Defender signatures
5. Hardware drivers

In reference to hardware drivers pushe via Windows Update...
They can be available for hardware that is undefined and hardware where there may be an
update. In this case we are talking about hardware that is undefined because the user
connected a hardware device via USB and the OS has no drivers and the user has no disk
with the drivers. Thus when the user connects to Windows Update Microsoft can push the
drivers down to the Windows 7 computer.

As for your Canon issue...
For the Windows OS to perform Plug 'n Play it must first "see" the hardware to obtain the
unique string identifiers for the make and model of the hardware. For that to happen, one
must connect the Cannon physically to the computer such ports as via; USB, parallel port
and FireWire. If the Cannon is connected to the Ethernet network it will not Plug 'n Play
(aka; PnP) (I won't go into Universal Plug 'n Play protocol uPnP here). If your Cannon
was connected to a port such as USB, parallel port or FireWire and it did not go though
the PnP process then there are a few possibilities..

1. The PnP NT Service was not running { aka; plugplay }
2. There is a physical problem with the connection port
3. There is a physical or logical problem with the external device connected to the port

D

David H. Lipman

Thanks for your input, David.
Let me expound a bit.

I don't like automatic updating. I think that I've experienced nasty traffic jams when
everyone wants to go on line and update all-at-once. But in my son's case, I'm afraid
that he'll forget to do his maintenance, so I set his system to do it. I'm guessing that
it's getting its daily fix from Microsoft.

To your points:
1. All his other USB devices have been recognized and have been installed neatly. It's
just this printer to which his system is blind.
2. The printer's cabling has been connecting to his former computer just fine and other
devices have been recognized via the same ports, as above. I've substituted cables with
the same result.
3. I don't know about this. Again, the printer's working nicely with his XP machine and
same cabling.

The printer is not showing up in the Windows manual-install printer list.
I'm stumped, and I've got my eyes open for another used printer. I've been thinking
about something from Brother. In these printer newsgroups, I've never seen a bad word
about Brother's products, and that means something to me. Granted, Brother almost never
turns up on these boards, but whenever it does, nobody seems to be pulling their hair
out or screaming about usurious ink cost.

As a rough guide for printer age and compatibility, I'm looking for a printer that
connects with a USB cord exclusively. His present printer has both USB and parallel, so yes:
it's dated.

I'm not feeling good about HP these days because I recently tangled with drivers for two
of their products, and my registries were badly raped on two computers. My experience
has been that HP's drivers are complicated and include all sorts of functions (and load)
that I need like a hole in the head. And good manners would dictate that you dump all
your crap into an .ini file, not into the registry.

I just acquired a badly clogged XP computer to use as my Linux box. Someone had
installed 25 different Canon drivers on it! One of these Canon drivers had put more than
5,000 lines into the registry. As much as I've liked Canon's products over the decades,
this is such foul behavior that I can't live with it.

Anyway, you can see that I'm not in a good mood about all this, so please forgive me for
the rant. After 28 years with Microsoft, I'm walking. I'll keep one computer in Windows
to ensure compatibility with the world, and to work with "must-have" software that
requires Windows.

Richard

If you want that resolved you would have to have full access to the printer and the Win7
computer and then create your own thread.

To try to resolve the issue in this thread would be hijacking CDR's thread. This thread
is about CDR's HP 960c and Win7 and not your son's Canon and Win7. The same is true for
the Dell 2330dn and Win7 thread.

Ask a Question