Pricing opinion wanted - selling systems

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I wonder if any of you good folk could offer an opinion on what I ought to sell these two systems for?

I've decided to sell these two and build one higher specced system.

I'm just selling the towers, I'm hanging on to the peripherals.

System One:

Abit KR7A RAID Motherboard.
XP1900, Palamino, Revision A CPU
1 Gig Crucial PC2100 RAM
Thermalright SLK-800 Cooler w/Pabst Hi-Flo 80mm Fan
Lian Li PC61 Black case.
Stock case exhaust fan replaced with Pabst Hi-Volume.
Stock Case Roof Fan replaced With Panaflo Lo-Volume
Side Mounted Pabst Lo-Noise 92mm Fan
Antec 300W PSU
Hercules Radeon 8500 128MB DDR Vid card
Philips Dynamic Edge 4.1 Sound Card
2 x Seagate Barracuda 40Gb 7200 Hard Drives in RAID 0
1 x IBM GX60P 20Gb 7200 Hard Drive for storage
Liteon DVD drive with black fascia
Liteon 40 x CD-RW Drive, black
Sony Black floppy drive
Belkin F5D5000 NIC Card

System Two:

Albatron KX400+ Motherboard
XP2400 Thorobred
Thermalright AX-7 Heatsink w/Pabst Hi-Volume fan
512MB Twinmoss PC2700 Ram
Lian Li PC-61 Black case
Generic 300W PSU
Albatron Nvidia FX5200 Ultra vid card
Creative SB PCI128 Sound Card
Maxtor Diamond Max 60Gb 7200 HDD
Hitachi DVD ROM Drive, Black
Liteon CD-RW, 40 x, sprayed black
Black Sony Floppy Drive
Belkin F5D5000 NIC Card

Barton XP2800 333fsb
1 Gig Twinmos PC3200 (2 x 512Mb dual channel kit)
2 x Western Digital 36.7 Gb Raptor SATA DRives in RAID 0
1 x Western Digital 120Gb HDD for storage (model as yet not decided)
Hercules 3D Prophet 9800XT 256MB Vid Card

Not sure about the motherboard yet, but the MSI K7N2 Delta IISR NForce 2 caught my eye as it has the capability for SATA Raid, but as far as I can work out, it only has 2 x SATA slots and I'd have to put a storage HDD on an IDE channel, although that's not a biggie.

Thinking also about the Black Antec Stealth case with 2 x 120mm fans and an Antec 400W PSU fitted.

Any input/ideas/comments welcome.

And no, I won't consider an Nvidia card :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hello Flopps ... nVidia make good vid cards

:D

Two dam good systems for sale there, should command a good price. :)

Your choice for the new build MB is excellent ... K7N2 Delta-ILSR but ...
Be careful on the memory you choose ...
Note: nForce2 does NOT supports x4 memory device. 1GB can be made by other density of dram chip such as x 8, x16.
Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the motherboard) such as DDR voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better system stability.
Example: Kingston HyperX DDR500 PC4000 operates at 2.65V, 3-4-4-8, CL=3.
For more information about specification of high performance memory modules, please check with your Memory Manufactures for more details.

1 Gig Twinmos PC3200 (2 x 512Mb dual channel kit)
Just go and get two sticks of Kingston 3200, though two sticks of 2700 (333) will work fine as your using a 333 Barton. ;)

I've been using the K7N2 Delta-L (no SATA) for a few weeks now and I'm well impressed.

Not too keen on the Western Digital HDD for storage ... I prefer the Maxtor D'Max +9 ... yes I know it doesn't have 8MB cache, but it doesn’t make that much difference. I found the WD are/can be problematic when attaching another HD as slave. :(
You can get two 80Gb Maxtor D'Max Plus 9 - SATA (8MB Cache) HDs for a better price than the Raptors ... is 10,000 rpm going to make a difference?

Enjoy! :cool:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The raptors are supposed to be the best when it comes to performance, so I'm guessing you'd put your OS and choice apps on that and then use the 120Gb for storage?

Do you know what sort of performance boost RAID Raptors give?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
From what I've read, two Raptors in RAID 0 can give the same performance, or even surpass, a SCSI setup. And yes, Ian, that was the idea, 2 x 36.7Gb drives for OS and most commonly used apps & 120Gb for storage.

I currently have 2 x 40gb Seagates in a RAID 0 and I'm only using just over half of that, even with around a dozen games loaded, so 80Gb should be plenty, really.

I've decided to ask £500.00 each for the systems, towers only, including shipping.

All manuals, CD's etc supplied for components where relevant and they'll come loaded with OS of buyer's choice.

If I fail to realise that price, I''l hang on to one case/PSU/CDRW/DVDROM/floppy/psu cooler and sell the parts seperately.

And Mucks, not entirely sure about the memory config you're suggesting, but will bear it in mind. The Kingston Hyperex costs around £212.00, whereas the Twinmos costs around £134.00.

I won't be overclocking this system, I've used Twinmos in two of my systems and it's been fine. I've even overclocked using Twinmos, had no problems. I have to weigh up budget against desirability, I'm afraid.

And no, there's nothing wrong with Nvidia, it's just that ATI are better :p :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
nVidia are better

And Mucks, not entirely sure about the memory config you're suggesting, but will bear it in mind. The Kingston Hyperex costs around £212.00, whereas the Twinmos costs around £134.00
I'm not on about cost ... or even suggesting you get Kingston Hyper' ... nay, I say "will it work" ... read the red bit in the quote again, its from MSI's site.

When thinking of using 3200/400 memory, be aware what the MB manufacturer recommends ... there are no problems with 2700/333

:cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aha. Goddit. I was going for the PC3200 as I was hoping I may eventually get an XP3200 @ 400fsb when the price drops, sortta preparing in advance. The board specs say it supports 400fsb CPU's and also PC3200 RAM.

I'm actually leaning more towards the Gigabyte GA-7NNXP right now, as that has got just about everything on it and seems the most future proof before I eventually cross over into a 64 bit system. Dunno though really, it may be a nice board, but it's a bit on the pricey side.

But, before I start anything, I have to make some sales.

Ask a Question