Prescott and Doom 3 and APC UPS

LeeBos

Subject: Re: Prescott and Doom 3 and APC UPS
From: "Kylesb" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 10/17/2004 3:59 AM Eastern Standard Time

| Yes, I have 2 of these myself and can run 2 P4 systems off each one
without any
| problems. Wife has the same in the 1000VA model to run her P4
Celeron, Laser
| printer, scanner, 17" CRT monitor, cordless phone, and external USB
2 HDD.

| This is the better choice of the two, and if you need extra runtime
you can
| connect another battery pack to it.

I believe it's generally recommended that a laser printer not be
connected to a UPS as it will draw too much current on the UPS during
power failures. However, given newer designs, perhaps their power
appetite is lessening nowadays.

I should have looked further. The Laser printer is plugged into one of the non
battery backup sockets on the UPC, so all it's getting is surge protection.

NBK

Larry said:
Does your UPS have voltage switches on it that you can set the alarm to
differernt voltage drop before it goes off?
I don't have one in front of me but the one I have at work has some little
small switches on it that you slide for .5 V drop 1.0 V drop etc...
all have to do is set it up a little.
It is the UPS's red overload LED that comes on when i play Doom 3 or
Unreal II.

NBK

LeeBos said:
I should have looked further. The Laser printer is plugged into one of the non
battery backup sockets on the UPC, so all it's getting is surge protection.
I moved my HP Photosmart 7550 printer off my UPS to no avail.

Kylesb

| LeeBos wrote:
| > I should have looked further. The Laser printer is plugged into
one of the non
| > battery backup sockets on the UPC, so all it's getting is surge
protection.

| I moved my HP Photosmart 7550 printer off my UPS to no avail.

What is the exact model UPS? I suggest a review of the tech literature
on the UPS to ascertain whether it will complain if the total load on
the UPS will trigger such an overload reaction. Perhaps the
"non-power failure" current load is in excess of some specified limit.

jaf

Hi,
Do you have PowerChute installed?
You can check the line voltage & current draw (watts) in PowerChute.
(monitor system>current status)
Write down the readings then with the wattage window open start Doom 3.
What happens?

NBK

jaf said:
Hi,
Do you have PowerChute installed?
You can check the line voltage & current draw (watts) in PowerChute.
(monitor system>current status)
Write down the readings then with the wattage window open start Doom 3.
What happens?
If i recall, Powerchute was not for this model, APC Back-UPS Pro 500.

NBK

Kylesb said:
| LeeBos wrote:
| > I should have looked further. The Laser printer is plugged into
one of the non
| > battery backup sockets on the UPC, so all it's getting is surge
protection.

| I moved my HP Photosmart 7550 printer off my UPS to no avail.

What is the exact model UPS? I suggest a review of the tech literature
on the UPS to ascertain whether it will complain if the total load on
the UPS will trigger such an overload reaction. Perhaps the
"non-power failure" current load is in excess of some specified limit.
APC Back-UPS Pro 500...

Keith S.

NBK said:
It is the UPS's red overload LED that comes on when i play Doom 3 or
Unreal II.

Is you Monitor plugged in to the UPS too? If it is, try just the Computer only
on the UPS.

NBK

Keith said:
Is you Monitor plugged in to the UPS too? If it is, try just the Computer only
on the UPS.
Yea, my 19" monitor is plugged into the UPS. I will try to find another
outlet.

NBK

NBK

NBK said:
Yea, my 19" monitor is plugged into the UPS. I will try to find another
outlet.

NBK
Hi

I just bought a new APC BR1500 Back-UPS RS 1500VA 120V and it works like
a champ.
Thanks for a your help
NBK