powerpoint to the web

Bevin B.

Hi, I have little experience at this, actually none...made a slide
show in powerpoint (2000) and tried to publish it on the web. It has
a midi file that plays throughout. Works fine on my system, but when I
publish it, the midi file starts up, my first slide appears, but the
slide list in the frame on the left side does not show up....neither
do the buttons for fullscreen or outline, even though I have
definitely uploaded those files. Using IE 6.02, Windows 98 SE, any
help would be GREATLY appreciated.

The powerpoint appears to start with a frame.htm file, rather than an
index.htm file, is this the problem? Does it matter if the files have
a name ending in .htm or .html?

Thanks, Bevin B.

Michael Koerner

Whatever you set .htm, .html when you publish is just fine. Normally when you
publish you will get a file with your called whatever you named your
presentation.html, which is basically the index.html for the presentation. along
with that you will get a folder called presentationname_files. Insetting the
background sound in the web presentation is a little different than inserting a
sound for just your computer presentation. The tutorial here, will show you how
to insert your sound for online presentations
www.oldfco.ca/tutorial/pptohtml.html

--
<>Please post all follow-up questions/replies to the newsgroup<>
<><>Email unless specifically requested will not be opened<><>

Hi, I have little experience at this, actually none...made a slide
show in powerpoint (2000) and tried to publish it on the web. It has
a midi file that plays throughout. Works fine on my system, but when I
publish it, the midi file starts up, my first slide appears, but the
slide list in the frame on the left side does not show up....neither
do the buttons for fullscreen or outline, even though I have
definitely uploaded those files. Using IE 6.02, Windows 98 SE, any
help would be GREATLY appreciated.

The powerpoint appears to start with a frame.htm file, rather than an
index.htm file, is this the problem? Does it matter if the files have
a name ending in .htm or .html?

Thanks, Bevin B.

Steve Rindsberg

Hi, I have little experience at this, actually none...made a slide
show in powerpoint (2000) and tried to publish it on the web. It has
a midi file that plays throughout. Works fine on my system, but when I
publish it, the midi file starts up, my first slide appears, but the
slide list in the frame on the left side does not show up....neither
do the buttons for fullscreen or outline, even though I have
definitely uploaded those files. Using IE 6.02, Windows 98 SE, any
help would be GREATLY appreciated.

The powerpoint appears to start with a frame.htm file, rather than an
index.htm file, is this the problem? Does it matter if the files have
a name ending in .htm or .html?

This will help explain what files you need to upload and how:

Put your PowerPoint-generated HTML on the web
http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00241.htm

Michael's reply will explain how to get a single sound file to play across
multiple slides.

--
Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com

Bevin B.

Thanks for the help, but I guess I did not make myself clear.
Let's not worry about the sound for now, I just want the powerpoint to
basically work - right now it does nothing.
Here is what I did:
I saved my presentation, called TEST.ppt, as a web page.
It created TEST.htm and a TEST_files folder.
Then I FTPed all the files to the web - exactly as it is on my system
(where it works fine using the html files)

My page is structured like this:
I have an index file, which has a link to my powerpoint.
This link leads to TEST.htm
There is also a TEST_files folder where all the files I FTPd are.
When you try and load this page, it comes up with 404 error.

I have it structured exactly the same on my system and it works fine.

The website I am using has banner ads, is this a possible problem?

Thanks again, Bevin

Steve Rindsberg

Thanks for the help, but I guess I did not make myself clear.
Let's not worry about the sound for now, I just want the powerpoint to
basically work - right now it does nothing.
Here is what I did:
I saved my presentation, called TEST.ppt, as a web page.
It created TEST.htm and a TEST_files folder.
Then I FTPed all the files to the web - exactly as it is on my system
(where it works fine using the html files)

My page is structured like this:
I have an index file, which has a link to my powerpoint.
This link leads to TEST.htm
There is also a TEST_files folder where all the files I FTPd are.
When you try and load this page, it comes up with 404 error.

That means Page Not Found; the file's either not where you expect it to be or it's not
under the name you expect.

Sometimes the paths appear different to the account owner from what they appear to an
anonymous web browser; it's possible that TEST.htm isn't in the folder where you expect
it.

Or the filename's capitalization may have been changed when you uploaded it; on a
Unix/Linux host, TEST.htm and Test.htm and test.htm are all different filenames.

If you have a URL you can post, we'll have a looksee for you.