Power problems

Recently I've purchased an eMac - I'm switching, and this PC goes to my
sister if it's working properly but recently I've been having a power issue.
Whenever I switch the PC on at the mains the PC quickly turns on and then
off. The only ways to overcome this;

1.Unplug everything and boot it
2.Hold the on button and switch on the mains

I can't think what it could be, an input problem incorrect cables, maybe
even to much running on the surge protector ? Any ideas ?

Jim Macklin

eMac is built by Apple and uses Apples OSX system, nothing
to do with PCs or MS Windows or Windows XP.
Suggest you contact Apple support.

Start here http://www.apple.com/emac/

"DanielWalker" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
| Recently I've purchased an eMac - I'm switching, and this
PC goes to my
| sister if it's working properly but recently I've been
having a power issue.
| Whenever I switch the PC on at the mains the PC quickly
turns on and then
| off. The only ways to overcome this;
|
| 1.Unplug everything and boot it
| 2.Hold the on button and switch on the mains
|
| I can't think what it could be, an input problem incorrect
cables, maybe
| even to much running on the surge protector ? Any ideas ?

Jim Macklin

You should always turn the modern PC on/off using the
software shutdown and the front panel power button. The
power supply is designed to keep parts of the motherboard
alive even when the PC is OFF. When you leave the PC ON and
shut down with a main power cut, you shock the system. When
you turn it on with a main power you also shock the system.
You may have damaged the power supply with all the power
surges.

Suggest that you check the power supply voltages on all
outputs, get a proper UPS and use the computer to turn it
off and the front panel power switch to turn it ON. BTW, IF
you treat the eMac the same way, you'll likely damaged it
too. And you need a UPS on all computers.

BTW,
You should have simply talked about the PC issue, we didn't
need to know whether you have a Mac or are switching. Also,
you sentence structure does not properly convey what you
meant... you should have said it this way.
I recently purchased an eMac for myself and am going to give
my old PC to my sister. But the PC has a problem that I
need to resolve before I give it to her. The problem is....

wrote in message
| No I meant this PC which I am on now (Windows XP) is
having these problems

| "Jim Macklin" wrote:
|
| > eMac is built by Apple and uses Apples OSX system,
nothing
| > to do with PCs or MS Windows or Windows XP.
| > Suggest you contact Apple support.
| >
| > Start here http://www.apple.com/emac/
| >

| > --
| >

| > "DanielWalker" <[email protected]>
| > wrote in message
| >
| > | Recently I've purchased an eMac - I'm switching, and
this
| > PC goes to my
| > | sister if it's working properly but recently I've been
| > having a power issue.
| > | Whenever I switch the PC on at the mains the PC
quickly
| > turns on and then
| > | off. The only ways to overcome this;
| > |
| > | 1.Unplug everything and boot it
| > | 2.Hold the on button and switch on the mains
| > |
| > | I can't think what it could be, an input problem
incorrect
| > cables, maybe
| > | even to much running on the surge protector ? Any
ideas ?

w_tom

A controller on motherboard tells power supply to power on
or off. But this controller needs constant power to do this
cleanly. Powering up a controller circuit by connecting power
cord means controller needs some time to establish a stable
condition. This controller 'power up' instructs power supply
for maybe a second to power on.

Don't worry about it. It is not destructive.

As for a surge protector or the UPS recommendation - both
are based upon myths; not based upon what those devices really
do. For example, a power strip surge protector operates
exactly same as a $3 power strip when 120 VAC line voltage
remains below 300 volts. That let-through or threshold
voltage is written on the box - often in small print so the
myth purveyors will not ask embarrassing questions. Surge
protector does nothing until voltage typically exceeds
something like 330 volts. The UPS is for data protection -
not for hardware protection.

Sudden loss of power or connecting PC to wall receptacle is
not hardware destructive - once we learn how hardware really
works.