Power Management

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a tidy solution to the managment of powersupplies in the domestic environment. Every new box - modem, switch, speakers etc etc comes with its own powersupply. Some even have european plugs despite being supplied in the UK. I think I'm looking for something that doesn't exist - but any ideas gratefully accepted.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
In my bedroom (two computers via KVM switch & Hi Fi system) I use a couple of These, wall mounted.

I use the same thing for my living room Hi Fi/Xbox 360/Media computer but for my main computer (living room, gaming machine) I just use six-way 13A trailing socket board.

The IEC distribution strips aren't ideal, however, as some PSU's come with 13A pins built in and plug into a 13A socket directly. For the few of these I have I use a 13A single or double trailing socket with a short lead to an IEC plug.

Most folk just use a multi-way 13A trailing socket, six or ten way and surge protection built in is something worth considering though I've never used surge protection at home. In 16 years only damage I've suffered because of that was a frazzled modem and a burnt out PCI bus on a motherboard when lighhtning struck once.

Reaction score
Hi Floppy, thanks for the suggestion - I've used the ten way surge protected extension, but was wondering whether there's something better! That website looks to have some useful suggestions!

Thanks again,

Ask a Question