Power Led Flashing?

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
Just took out my Asus A8N SLI Deluxe motherboard as I think I may have damaged the chipset so I got a DFI Infinity Ultra motherboard brand new as a replacement.

Now I still have issues.

Every time I try to get Win XP Pro setup to install the DFI SATA and RAID drivers I end up with a blue screen of death stop error.

Can't seem to put any software CD's in and be able to install by clicking setup as that generates an error.

I just replaced the IDE cables with new ones to eliminate them and now when I start the unit the power led flashes constantly and the system won't boot up?

I've reseated the memory, video card and changed the cables so any ideas?:(

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
I do have another PSU kicking around so I'll try that.

Just to clarify though when I say LED flashing I'm speaking of the power one on the front of the case beside the HDD LED not one on the motherboard.

That little green LED under normal conditions is just on whereas right now it flashes about twice a second continuously from the moment you push the power button on the case.

The exact message I got on the blue screen before this LED flashing thing started was....

STOP: c0000221 Unknown Hard Error
\SystemRoot\System32\NTDLL.DLL

I googled that error and it wasn't really much help since the supposed fix involved changing practically every item depending on whose reply it was.

One guy said CD ROM change fixed it, another HDD exchange fixed it, yet another said to disable Ultra DMA or some such.

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Well, one can but try ... I did say, Asus MB onboard LED ... you got a DFI Infinity Ultra motherboard ... I would be at their site looking to see if it means the same thing.

I have had good PSU's produce power enough, then go bad ... still have an Enermax with one cable that has poor power on it, the rest are OK. Very strange?

My logic says ... flashing power light, power problem ... the reset button ain't stuck, is it? ;)

user.gif

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
No reset button isn't stuck. :)

Beats me what the problem was.

Changed the power supply and DVD-RW drive then on bootup it wasn't flashing and allowed me to load the drivers from the floppy as well as get far enough to where it was supposed to format the hard drive in preparation for install.

At that point I was looking at the progress bar and it didn't leave 0% for hours.

At this point I figured hard drive was toast so got one of those.

Installed a SATA hard drive then on reboot I had the darn flashing LED again.

Took out the power supply once more and reinstalled the original higher power one and after pushing the memory as well as the video card in and out of their respective slots about ten times each I tried another reboot.

It started and I have it running once more.

The part about these kinds of repairs that really bugs me is now I don't know if the hard drive is bad or not and same goes for the PSU.

Some days these boxes are just annoying as heck. :(

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You could always run a hard drive tester and that would narrow the field a bit . It would be a pain though .

nod.gif

Ask a Question