Possible bug in XPE with El Torito CD?

G

I believe I have found a bug in XP Embedded when trying to create an El Torito CD. The thing is that I built my image on a separate FAT488MB/8192 partitioned hard drive labeled "XPE". Then I did a hd2iso on that hard drive partition to create my prefba cd image. The prefba cdrom image was then created with a label called "XPE" as well. Then when I did a first boot with the prefba I had two devices in My Computer labeled "XPE". I believe with FAT this created some sort of conflict, where I would get a "Delayed Write Error" on the cd rom drive. Using NTFS fixed this problem probably because NTFS is more advanced than FAT. But if I wanted to make a compact flash I need to use FAT. Therefore I renamed the hard disk partition and I stopped getting the "Delayed Write Error" error messages. Let me know if anybody can confirm this.

Nathan

S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Volume labels are in these days actually stored in special file in root directory, and they are used only for your visual viewing
pleasure not for any system work. (They don't need even to exist).
So you can have as many same volume labels as you want.
Relevant things are DiskID and partition starting LBA sector. (This is relevant for volume letter assignment).

Going to device level they are identified by VID, PID, serial number and manufacturer text ID strings.

Delayed write error was because you can't write to read only medium, and you forgot to do some step perhaps. (EWF was not protecting
CD).

Best regards,
Slobodan

Nathan Moinvaziri said:
I believe I have found a bug in XP Embedded when trying to create an El Torito CD. The thing is that I built my image on a
separate FAT488MB/8192 partitioned hard drive labeled "XPE". Then I did a hd2iso on that hard drive partition to create my prefba cd
image. The prefba cdrom image was then created with a label called "XPE" as well. Then when I did a first boot with the prefba I had
two devices in My Computer labeled "XPE". I believe with FAT this created some sort of conflict, where I would get a "Delayed Write
Error" on the cd rom drive. Using NTFS fixed this problem probably because NTFS is more advanced than FAT. But if I wanted to make a
compact flash I need to use FAT. Therefore I renamed the hard disk partition and I stopped getting the "Delayed Write Error" error
messages. Let me know if anybody can confirm this.

S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Have no idea why you used FBA in the first place, since you obviously can use Disk Manager for placing NTFS, so you can use FAT
instead.
They both will be bootable.

bootprep is used from making disk bootable only if you use fdisk/format from DOS.

Regards,
Slobodan

PS:
This should not be related to problem you have.

S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Hi Nathan,

Try disconnecting HDD while you boot from CD, what happens then?

Regards,
Slobodan

Ask a Question