    keep being sent? I'm getting them when I'm not in any
    applications and at the desktop. They are annoying me.

    Lonnie

    Lonnie Walker, Aug 28, 2003

  2. Lonnie Walker wrote:
    > Is there anything I can do to cut out the popups that
    > keep being sent? I'm getting them when I'm not in any
    > applications and at the desktop. They are annoying me.
    >
    > Lonnie

    The below is shamelessly stolen from Bruce Chambers, who explains things
    more eloquently than I ever could!

    This particular "sales method" is strikingly similar to the "protection"
    rackets offered to small businesses by organized criminals. Yes, it's a
    scam; no reputable business would need to resort to extortion. Particularly
    since they're trying to sell you a type of protection that is already
    available to you free of charge.

    This type of spam has become quite common over the past few months, and
    unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It demonstrates that you
    haven't been taking sufficient precautions while connected to the Internet.
    Your data probably hasn't been compromised by these specific advertisements,
    but if you're open to this exploit, you may well be open to other threats.
    Install and use a decent, properly configured firewall. (Disabling the
    messenger service, as some people recommend, only hides the symptom, and
    does nothing to secure your machine.) And ignoring or just "putting up
    with" these messages and the problem they represent is particularly
    foolish.

    Messenger Service of Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement Appears
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

    Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    Oh, and be especially wary of people who advise you to do nothing more than
    disable the messenger service. Disabling the messenger service is a "head in
    the sand" approach to computer security.

    The real problem is not the messenger service pop-ups; they're actually
    providing a useful service by acting as a security alert. The true problem
    is the unsecured computer, and you've been advised to merely turn off the
    warnings. How is this helpful?

    Equivalent Scenario 1: Somewhere in a house, a small fire starts, and sets
    off the smoke alarm. You, not immediately seeing any fire/smoke, complain
    about the noise of the smoke detector, and are advised to remove the smoke
    detector's battery and go back to sleep.

    Equivalent Scenario 2: You over-exert your shoulder at work or play,
    causing bursitis. After weeks of annoying and sometimes excruciating pain
    whenever you try to reach over your head, you go to a doctor and say, while
    demonstrating the motion, "Doc, it hurts when I do this." The doctor, being
    as helpful as some of your respondents, replies, "Well, don't do that."

    I'm beginning to think that the people deliberately posting such bad advice
    are hacker-wannabes who have no true interest in helping you secure your
    system, but would rather give you a false sense of security while ensuring
    that your computer is still open to exploitation.

    --
    Perdita X. Dream

    Please help us to help you
    http://groups.google.com
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    Please note that the reply address is fake.
    Keep all posts to the groups as private requests for assistance
    (i.e. email/IM) cannot be acknowledged. Thank you.

    Perdita X. Nitt, Aug 28, 2003

  3. Hi there,

    Go to www.gsr.com, download his free program called "Shoot The
    Messenger" and run it = Bye Bye Popups!!!

    You might also want to run his Shields-Up system tester...it may alarm you
    at how open your system is....and whilst mentioning this...also go to
    www.lavasoft.com and get their free (and very good) Ad-Aware software...that
    will clean your system of any spyware you may have their.....it did wonders
    for my system today.

    I cannot remember his name...except that his first name is Steve, but
    the chap who runs gsr.com is one of the experts in this field and is a
    constant annoyance to Microsoft, due to him revealing the inadequacies of
    their OS.

    With all things, "The proof is in the tasting", try the advice on
    GSR.COM, try at least the first three tests on the Shields-Up section before
    you install any of the software I have mentioned....and then try the same
    three tests again....I thought my system was fairly secure....how wrong I
    was.

    Many Regards.......

    Just a nutter, Aug 28, 2003
  4. Rats...its the proper address is https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 sorry
    about the mis - information in previous message

    Many Regards...........

    Just a nutter, Aug 28, 2003
  5. kevin wrote:
> [...]

    Except that these pop-ups have nothing whatsoever to do with IE (something
    that you'd have known had you read my reply).

    Perdita X. Dream, Aug 30, 2003