Pop ups do not open, certain pages do not work correctly . . .

Ever since I got this laptop (this past December), I've had trouble with IE
and viewing some websites. Some pages do not open up when I click the link
because they are pop-ups. They are not reported by the pop-up blocker; they
simply do not work. For example, on http://www.mtv.com/, when I click "Sign
In" at the top, the link does not open in it's new window. Even if I turn off
the pop-up blockers, the pages still do not open.
Also on MTV.com and other sites, the ads do not load, whereas they do load
on my home computer (the pop-up links work on that computer, too). For
example, on the Hotmail Sign-In page, the ad on the top of the screen does
not appear on my laptop, but it does so on my home computer.
Finally, on MTV.com, "Overdrive" does not work properly. I have all the
necessary requirements, but it does not work properly. The page will open up
(it's a pop-up), but then the media doesn't show. It get's to the point where
there is the little "play" button on the media screen with a black
background, but the media never actually plays.
Is there anything that I can do to fix these problems . . .

Don Varnau

Hi,
First, clear the IE cache. IE> Tools> Internet Options> General> Delete
files (and delete offline content when that dialog pops up) It's often
recommended that the TIF folder be kept at about 50 MB (Settings.)

Next, these problems may be caused by more that one security program or
ad-blocker.

Are these ads being blocked by a HOSTS file?
See: Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
The Hosts File (Gorilla Design Studio): http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/

You'll have to look through your security programs, pop-up blockers,
toolbars, etc. to see which one is blocking pop-up windows. The Yahoo
Toolbar is notorious for blocking new windows- you may have to uninstall it,
rather than just turning if off.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

I'm not sure if it is a HOSTS file that is blocking the ads, but I have seen
the ads.doubleclick.net security warning when I put a website on the "safe
list" or "trusted sites" on the IE Internet options.

As for the pop-ups, how do I know which pop-up blockers are blocking the
pop-ups? I have Norton AntiVirus, AOL Toolbar, Google Toolbar, and Yahoo
Toolbar, but I only use the Yahoo Toolbar.

Julio said:
[...]

Try uninstalling the Yahoo toolbar. As I wrote it's "notorious for blocking
new windows."

Are there entries in your HOSTS file? Try renaming the HOSTS file to
HOSTS.OLD to see if that solves any of these problems.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Don Varnau

Hi,
Assuming that the OS is Windows XP...
To check the HOSTS file:
Make sure that Windows is showing hidden files and is not hiding file
extensions for known file types (both settings at Control Panel> Folder
Options> View) then check for a HOSTS file at
[C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc] Open the HOSTS file with notepad. If there
are entries you wish to disable, you can put the pound sign (#) in front an
entry to disable it. Then File> Save. Or you can rename the HOSTS file to
HOSTS.OLD to disable it.
More on the HOSTS file at http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm and
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Julio said:
How do I know if there are entries in the HOSTS file? How do I rename it?
I don't have an understanding of how to check all of that.

: