Poor Heron

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Caught this fella but it's a poor picture. I took him and he was away before I could get another. Only afterwards did I realise the camera was set at the lowest resolution. :mad:

Hope to get him again soon.

Attachments

• heron.JPG
    heron.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 249
Reaction score
Notice you're in N Yorks we see a heron over S Yorks sometimes it's a lovely bird in flight.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Nice pic nivrip, shame you didn't manage to snap it at full resolution :)

I saw one of these just a few days ago, in one of the canals round here - perfectly still and just standing there. I had my phone camera with my so the photo is rubbish, but wish I had my proper cam at the time.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Still quite a good pic Nivrip,:nod: was that taken in open countryside? There has been a heron around here recently too, sitting on a neighbour's roof, paying keen attention to their goldfish pond. They always remind me of storks just a bit :D

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yeah these bl**dy things are pond robbers, wiped my newly stocked fishpond a few years back clean out costing me around a hundred in the process..

Look lovely but if I ever got my hands on the one that ate all my fish I would have rung its little scrawny neck..

Lake owners now have the right to cull these if they are taking large quantitys of fish..

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Lake owners now have the right to cull these if they are taking large quantities of fish..
No they don't ... they will have to apply for a licence.

They shouldn't be so stupid to offer free food. ;)

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I sometimes think part of the problem is that humans are encroaching so much on "natural habitat." Certainly in some areas of the country. Just a couple of years back, there was a piece of land next to us, which had a natural pond, wildflowers, mature trees, a boggy area where reeds grew, etc., all of which various wildlife liked to call "home." Including, incidentally, Crested Newts (a protected species.)

This was the case for more than thirty-odd years, until a small builder came along.... despite the land having being classed as unsuitable for building (and designated as a recreational area) mainly because it lacked suitable access/drainage and so on, but "strings were pulled." Many, many tons of aggregate were brought in, to increase the height of the land (to take care of the bogginess.) A grand old oak tree was unceremoniously felled at 8 am one Sunday morning, a cul-de-sac was "opened" to provide permanent access, then about 12 houses were squeezed-in. They tower above the existing bungalows.

I know that some would call it "progress," or have their own views on the matter, but it was very sad to see that habitat destroyed so unnecessariy. The wildlife issues (in particular, the ones regarding the Newts) were pretty much ignored (a few bull-dozers brought in prior to all the permissions being in place) soon took care of them....

So whilst it is always sad to lose your pondlife, (I mean that very genuinely, not sarcastically :nod: ) some of the poor old "predators" are losing their natural hunting-grounds too, as our towns and cities expand.

Er... just another viewpoint, didn't mean to spend quite so much time on my soapbox ;) :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
TC, I thoroughly agree with you, I hate people profiting through ruining our national and natural heritage.

Corrupt councillors do take back-handers from unscrupulous builders and another part of Britain dies.

I have a bit of a soft spot for Britain's wildlife, which includes the Heron as well as the Great Crested Newt.

In my case when I had a goldfish pond, a pair of Herons were local, they took a couple of fish, so I made a wooden frame with chicken mesh wire to cover the pond which I could take on and off very easily.

After a while the Herons moved on, which they do once they realise there's no more food to be had locally.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Ah yes Flopps, our neighbour did the same thing - built a mesh cover for their pond. Initially, they installed one of those artificial herons - you know, the life-size plastic jobbies; I think they were under the impression that the real heron would be put off, or scared-off by it. In reality, Mr Heron wasn't at all impressed, he just landed at the side of it and began to helped-himself - probably wondering why his "dumb chum" wasn't also tucking-in. Fortunately he was spotted and flew off with a bit of hand flapping from them :)

Ask a Question