    has disappeared from my hard drive.

    Can I download another copy of poledit.exe and use it
    without further complications? Where do I get it?

    Norman, Oct 8, 2003

  2. Look in the I386 folder on the install cdrom or search your hard drive for it. I
    often find multiple copies of files in service pack folders, etc. -- Steve

    Steven Umbach, Oct 8, 2003

  3. Norman

    Norman Guest

    poledit.exe is nowhere to be found on my hard drive or on
    my installation CD or on my service pack 2 CD. My other
    service packshave been downloaded. I searched the details
    of I386 files on my CDs and my hard drive. Nothing.

    The only thing close is a poledit.chm in another partition
    for booting in Windows 98, which I interpret to be part of
    a Help system. poledit.exe does not appear on that
    partition either.

    poledit may be contained in some compressed .cab file, but
    I don't know how to extract it.

    Norman, Oct 8, 2003
  4. Hi Norman,

    You can find poledit and its supporting files on a Microsoft Windows 98 Installation
    CDROM in the following directory:

    Tools\Reskit\Netadmin\Poledit

    For more information see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base Article:

    KB318753 - HOW TO: Create a System Policy Setting in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=318753

    Alternatively, poledit and its supporting files (including Winnt.adm, Windows.adm,
    and Common.adm) are installed when you install the Windows 2000 Administrative Tools
    package (adminpak.msi) on a Windows 2000 Professional.

    To install the adminpak.msi on a computer running Windows 2000 SP4, use the -x switch
    to extract all of the Service Pack Files from w2ksp4.exe (the Network Installation
    download that contains the self-extractable package with all of the service pack
    files). Then double-click adminpak.msi and respond to the prompts as appropriate.

    For information about the extract command-line option for w2ksp4.exe, see:

    Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Installation and Deployment Guide
    SECTION: Command-Line Options Only for W2ksp4.exe
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/sp4/spdeploy.htm

    And more information about administering Group Policy to down-level client computers
    using the System Policy Editor tool see:

    KB269799 - HOW TO: Secure Windows in a Non-Domain Environment
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=269799

    Windows 2000 Group Policy White Paper
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/management/grouppolwp.asp

    --
    Carrie Garth, Microsoft MVP for Windows 2000

    : "Norman" <nbnorth AT wa-net DOT com>
    : Wrote in message news:24f2401c38d4e$04b1ea00$
    : Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 10:41 PM
    :

    Carrie Garth \(MVP\), Oct 11, 2003