Plextor is NOT closing its doors to CD and DVD business!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Looks like it was just a translation problem, Plextor is here to stay :thumb:

FREMONT, Calif. – January 23, 2007 - Plextor® LLC, a leading developer and manufacturer of high-performance digital media equipment, today reaffirmed its commitment to the optical disc drive business in North and South America. On January 19, 2007, Shinano Kenshi Co., Ltd., the parent company of Plextor, announced plans to perform a corporate reorganization to streamline Plextor's optical drive business to enhance operating efficiencies.
“This announcement by Shinano Kenshi will have no material affect on the operations of Plextor LLC, as we already completed a corporate reorganization in North and South America last year. Our business will continue as usual,” said Toru Nakazawa, President of Plextor LLC, USA. “It is unfortunate that an incorrect translation of a Japanese article, which contained some errors, has led to the rumor that Plextor is somehow quitting the optical disc drive business. This is completely false. In fact, Plextor plans to continue to lead the market with innovative, exciting products that solve real world problems for our consumer and business customers. We deeply appreciate the loyalty of our customers and valued business partners. And we look forward to many years of future success.”

About Plextor
Plextor LLC is a leading developer and manufacturer of high-performance digital media equipment for professionals, consumers, and enterprises. Headquartered in Silicon Valley since 1990, Plextor has introduced generations of award-winning products, including digital video converters and CD-R/RW, DVD±R/RW, and Blu-ray optical disk drives. Contact Plextor at www.plextor.com

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thats good news, would have been a shame to see them go :)

Mucks will be pleased :nod:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
thats good to hear, i just need to justify £70 for a SATA DVD writer

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well I never, good news indeed :)

I think, next time I need an optical drive, I may very well try a Plextor.

Reaction score
This is an update in the original article (posted by muckshifter)

Quote: wesleytech.com
"Update: After this news was published, their have been new developments and official press releases issued that indicate that Plextor will continue to sell optical disk drives. It looks like shinmai.co.jp jumped the gun when they announced that Plextor was “exiting” the consumer markets. The Plextor optical drive sales business will continue, but they will most likely be rebranding or rebadging drives that have been manufactured by other companies. Shinanokenshi has indicated that their engineers will focus on developing other products, which suggests that we might not see any more “Plextor original” optical disk drives, but only time will tell for sure."

http://wesleytech.com/plextor-exits-cd-dvd-markets/

Ask a Question