please help

mark petrak

i have a spreadsheet im working on, but i want it to do somthing i dont
know if it can do. here is my problem

A B C H
1 A1 B1 C1 H1
2 A2 B2 C2
3 A3 B3 C3
4 A4 B4 C4
5 A5 B5 C5

so i want H1 to = a range 0f data. i want it to look in column A for
certain criteria, and if that row in column A meets the criteria it
takes that same rows column C value and adds them together. so if it
were to be a logical test it would be somthing like this

if A1:A5= A2,A4,A5. then take the sum of C2,C4,C5. and put it in H1

let me know if you guys understand what im looking for.

Thanks

RagDyer

Let's say that the "certain criteria" is in D1,

Then try this:

=SUMIF(A1:A5,D1,C1:C5)

--
HTH,

RD

"mark petrak" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Dave Peterson

=sumif(a1:a5,a1,c1:c5)

mark said:
i have a spreadsheet im working on, but i want it to do somthing i dont
know if it can do. here is my problem

A B C H
1 A1 B1 C1 H1
2 A2 B2 C2
3 A3 B3 C3
4 A4 B4 C4
5 A5 B5 C5

so i want H1 to = a range 0f data. i want it to look in column A for
certain criteria, and if that row in column A meets the criteria it
takes that same rows column C value and adds them together. so if it
were to be a logical test it would be somthing like this

if A1:A5= A2,A4,A5. then take the sum of C2,C4,C5. and put it in H1

let me know if you guys understand what im looking for.

Thanks

mark petrak

i dont think thats is what i need, say cell A1 says X and Cell A2 says
and Cell3 says Z i want Cell H1 to look at the cells for the criteria o
either X and Z and list the Total of the corrisponding Column

A B H
1 X 1 =4 or b1 + b3
2 Y 2
3 Z