Please help !! My System Has A Memory Error But It's Not The RAM's Fault !!

Discussion in 'Processors' started by Penang, Aug 28, 2004.

  1. Penang

    Penang Guest

    I need help !!

    I have a PIII system, 1.3 GHZ - actually it's a Celeron. I have 3 RAM
    modules on it, each 512 MB, for total of 1.5 GB.

    Lately my system acted strangely, so I ran a battery of memory tests,
    both the Norton Diagnostic and Memtest told me that the sytem RAM is
    faulty.

    The faulty memory location is at 14XXXXXXX - sometimes 144XXXXXX,
    sometimes 145XXXXXX, sometimes 146XXXXXX, everytime I reboot the
    machine, the "exact location" changed.

    Since it supposed to be the RAM fault, and I wanted to see which one
    is at fault, I change the location of the RAM module. To my surprise,
    the "faulty location" stationed somewhere 14XXXXXXX - even when I have
    switched the location of the 3 RAM modules.

    Now I got curious. So I plug in a 256MB module, and unplug the 3 512MB
    module, and ran the memtest (and Norton Diagnostic) again.

    Lo and behold, the "faulty location" is at 14XXXXXXX !!

    So, now I am facing with a "faulty memory" problem but it ain't the
    RAM !

    Can anyone please tell me what's going on ?

    I've even eye-balled and cleaned the RAM module sockets, but the fault
    is STILL THERE, at 14XXXXXXX !

    What else I should do to locate the origin of the error ?

    I know that it may be my MOBO, but I just want to know WHICH part of
    the MOBO is acting up.

    Many, many thanks in advance !!

    Penang, Aug 28, 2004

  2. Penang

    Will Dormann Guest

    Re: Please help !! My System Has A Memory Error But It's Not TheRAM's Fault !!

    Penang wrote:
    > I need help !!
    >
    > I have a PIII system, 1.3 GHZ - actually it's a Celeron. I have 3 RAM
    > modules on it, each 512 MB, for total of 1.5 GB.
    >
    > Lately my system acted strangely, so I ran a battery of memory tests,
    > both the Norton Diagnostic and Memtest told me that the sytem RAM is
    > faulty.

    Run memtest86 on your system with a single stick of RAM in it at a time.
    Then try two.
    Then all three.

    You should be able to track down where the problem lies.

    http://www.memtest86.com/

    -WD

    Will Dormann, Aug 28, 2004

  3. Penang

    CJT Guest

    Penang wrote:

    > I need help !!
    >
    > I have a PIII system, 1.3 GHZ - actually it's a Celeron. I have 3 RAM
    > modules on it, each 512 MB, for total of 1.5 GB.
    >
    > Lately my system acted strangely, so I ran a battery of memory tests,
    > both the Norton Diagnostic and Memtest told me that the sytem RAM is
    > faulty.
    >
    > The faulty memory location is at 14XXXXXXX - sometimes 144XXXXXX,
    > sometimes 145XXXXXX, sometimes 146XXXXXX, everytime I reboot the
    > machine, the "exact location" changed.
    >
    > Since it supposed to be the RAM fault, and I wanted to see which one
    > is at fault, I change the location of the RAM module. To my surprise,
    > the "faulty location" stationed somewhere 14XXXXXXX - even when I have
    > switched the location of the 3 RAM modules.
    >
    > Now I got curious. So I plug in a 256MB module, and unplug the 3 512MB
    > module, and ran the memtest (and Norton Diagnostic) again.
    >
    > Lo and behold, the "faulty location" is at 14XXXXXXX !!
    >
    > So, now I am facing with a "faulty memory" problem but it ain't the
    > RAM !
    >
    > Can anyone please tell me what's going on ?
    >
    > I've even eye-balled and cleaned the RAM module sockets, but the fault
    > is STILL THERE, at 14XXXXXXX !
    >
    > What else I should do to locate the origin of the error ?
    >
    > I know that it may be my MOBO, but I just want to know WHICH part of
    > the MOBO is acting up.
    >
    > Many, many thanks in advance !!

    Look at the capacitors (those tall, and not so tall, cans), especially
    those near the memory slots. If their tops are bulging, or brown goop
    is oozing out, then that's your problem.

    http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html

    CJT, Aug 29, 2004
  4. In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips Penang <> wrote:
    > I have a PIII system, 1.3 GHZ - actually it's a Celeron. I have 3 RAM
    > modules on it, each 512 MB, for total of 1.5 GB.
    >
    > The faulty memory location is at 14XXXXXXX - sometimes 144XXXXXX,
    > sometimes 145XXXXXX, sometimes 146XXXXXX, everytime I reboot the
    > machine, the "exact location" changed.
    >
    > Since it supposed to be the RAM fault, and I wanted to see which one
    > is at fault, I change the location of the RAM module. To my surprise,
    > the "faulty location" stationed somewhere 14XXXXXXX - even when I have
    > switched the location of the 3 RAM modules.

    Sounds like a bus error. Is your PSU good? Mobo properly grounded?
    Bad caps? or noise on the 3.3V line?

    -- Robert

    Robert Redelmeier, Aug 29, 2004
  5. Penang

    CJT Guest

    Robert Redelmeier wrote:

    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips Penang <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a PIII system, 1.3 GHZ - actually it's a Celeron. I have 3 RAM
    >>modules on it, each 512 MB, for total of 1.5 GB.
    >>
    >>The faulty memory location is at 14XXXXXXX - sometimes 144XXXXXX,
    >>sometimes 145XXXXXX, sometimes 146XXXXXX, everytime I reboot the
    >>machine, the "exact location" changed.
    >>
    >>Since it supposed to be the RAM fault, and I wanted to see which one
    >>is at fault, I change the location of the RAM module. To my surprise,
    >>the "faulty location" stationed somewhere 14XXXXXXX - even when I have
    >>switched the location of the 3 RAM modules.

    > Sounds like a bus error. Is your PSU good? Mobo properly grounded?
    > Bad caps? or noise on the 3.3V line?
    >
    > -- Robert

    Most of the things you identify would not always point to the same
    location.

    CJT, Aug 29, 2004
  6. On 28 Aug 2004 07:22:55 -0700, (Penang) wrote:

    >I have a 1.3 GHZ Celeron. I have 3 RAM
    >modules on it, each 512 MB, for total of 1.5 GB.

    >Lately my system acted strangely, so I ran a battery of memory tests,
    >both the Norton Diagnostic and Memtest told me that the sytem RAM is
    >faulty.

    >The faulty memory location is at 14XXXXXXX - sometimes 144XXXXXX,
    >sometimes 145XXXXXX, sometimes 146XXXXXX, everytime I reboot the
    >machine, the "exact location" changed.

    Can be. Not all errors are within set locations - the error may be at
    another level within the addressing logic, rather than within the data
    of certain address cells.

    >Since it supposed to be the RAM fault, and I wanted to see which one
    >is at fault, I change the location of the RAM module. To my surprise,
    >the "faulty location" stationed somewhere 14XXXXXXX - even when I have
    >switched the location of the 3 RAM modules.

    >Now I got curious. So I plug in a 256MB module, and unplug the 3 512MB
    >module, and ran the memtest (and Norton Diagnostic) again.

    >Lo and behold, the "faulty location" is at 14XXXXXXX !!

    OK. At this point it's worth mentioning that the memory system isn't
    just the RAM itself, but also L1 and L2 cache (in processor) and the
    support logic of the motherboard's chipset, etc.

    >So, now I am facing with a "faulty memory" problem but it ain't the RAM !

    SiS mobo chipset? Specifically, SiS 650 I think? Always test 5 in
    MemTest86, and OK in tests 0-4 and 6-7? BT, DT.

    >What else I should do to locate the origin of the error ?

    Swap-test processor, if possible, and check things like:
    - RAM timings in CMOS
    - exclude overclocking
    - bad motherboard capacitors
    - inadequate PSU (<235W, for Socket 370)

    >I know that it may be my MOBO, but I just want to know WHICH part of
    >the MOBO is acting up.

    Unless it's capacitors, the parts involved will be surface-mounted and
    not amenable to soldering-iron-mediated replacement.

    >-------------- ---- --- -- - - - -

    "I think it's time we took our
    friendship to the next level"
    'What, gender roles and abuse?'

    cquirke (MVP Win9x), Aug 30, 2004
  7. On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 10:38:35 -0400, Will Dormann
    >Penang wrote:

    >> I have a 1.3 GHZ Celeron. I have 3 RAM
    >> modules on it, each 512 MB, for total of 1.5 GB.

    >> Lately my system acted strangely, so I ran a battery of memory tests,
    >> both told me that the sytem RAM is faulty.

    >Run memtest86 on your system with a single stick of RAM in it at a time.
    >Then try two.
    >Then all three.

    I thought he'd done that, but if not; check mobo's manual - not all
    will tolerate the electrical loading of 3 x 512M DIMMs.

    Also, try putting the slowest DIMM in Slot 0. If mobo auto-adjusts
    timings as per the first SPD it sees, you want that to be the slowest
    one, so that timings will be conservative enough for the slowest RAM.

    >---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

    NNA Tech Support, 2037:
    "Double-click 'My Silo', click Map..."

    cquirke (MVP Win9x), Aug 30, 2004
  8. Penang

    cquirke (MVP Win9x) wrote:

    > I thought he'd done that, but if not; check mobo's manual - not all
    > will tolerate the electrical loading of 3 x 512M DIMMs.

    Another issue is whether or not the RAM is registered. Usually when
    systems have lots of RAM, it's required that it be registered to avoid
    timing issues.

    -WD

    Will Dormann, Aug 31, 2004
  9. Penang

    Robert Inkol Guest

    The DDR memory bus on a PC is not ideally terminated - there will be
    reflections and other transmission line effects. I've seen quite a few
    boards where the maximum memory bus speed that could be used without
    errors would change noticeably depending on which slot(s) were used
    for one or two memory modules was placed. With three modules, the
    memory bus will be relatively heavily loaded and this is something of
    a worst case situation, especially if the modules are double sided (a
    common case for 512 MB modules). I think one of the other posters
    pointed out that sytems that require large amounts of memory generally
    use registered memory as this allows more time for the data signals on
    the memory bus to settle.

    Robert

    Robert Inkol, Aug 31, 2004
  10. Penang

    Penang Guest

    Will Dormann <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Penang wrote:
    > > I need help !!
    > >
    > > I have a PIII system, 1.3 GHZ - actually it's a Celeron. I have 3 RAM
    > > modules on it, each 512 MB, for total of 1.5 GB.
    > >
    > > Lately my system acted strangely, so I ran a battery of memory tests,
    > > both the Norton Diagnostic and Memtest told me that the sytem RAM is
    > > faulty.

    > Run memtest86 on your system with a single stick of RAM in it at a time.
    > Then try two.
    > Then all three.
    >
    > You should be able to track down where the problem lies.
    >
    > http://www.memtest86.com/
    >

    > -WD

    I ran memtest86, and did what you say. Ran ALL the tests, standard and
    extended, and memtest86 reported NO ERROR.

    And when I went back to Windows, it acted strange again. Ran the
    Norton Utility Diagnostic, and the memory error still appears.

    Dunno what's going on. Just running out of options here !

    Thanks for your help !!

    Penang, Sep 1, 2004
  11. Penang

    Penang Guest

    "cquirke (MVP Win9x)" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 10:38:35 -0400, Will Dormann
    > >Penang wrote:

    > >> I have a 1.3 GHZ Celeron. I have 3 RAM
    > >> modules on it, each 512 MB, for total of 1.5 GB.

    > >> Lately my system acted strangely, so I ran a battery of memory tests,
    > >> both told me that the sytem RAM is faulty.

    > >Run memtest86 on your system with a single stick of RAM in it at a time.
    > >Then try two.
    > >Then all three.

    > I thought he'd done that, but if not; check mobo's manual - not all
    > will tolerate the electrical loading of 3 x 512M DIMMs.
    >
    > Also, try putting the slowest DIMM in Slot 0. If mobo auto-adjusts
    > timings as per the first SPD it sees, you want that to be the slowest
    > one, so that timings will be conservative enough for the slowest RAM.
    >

    > >---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

    > NNA Tech Support, 2037:
    > "Double-click 'My Silo', click Map..."
    > >---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

    Did that, and the problem persists. Dunno what's wrong. Now at least,
    after running memtest86, I am sure that there's no problem on my RAM
    module. Checked the mobo's spec, no problem for 3 X 512 MB ram module.

    I know something is wrong, and the only thing is that I dunno what it
    is, and this is bugging me !!

    Penang, Sep 1, 2004
  12. Penang

    Penang Guest

    Will Dormann <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > cquirke (MVP Win9x) wrote:
    >
    > > I thought he'd done that, but if not; check mobo's manual - not all
    > > will tolerate the electrical loading of 3 x 512M DIMMs.

    > Another issue is whether or not the RAM is registered. Usually when
    > systems have lots of RAM, it's required that it be registered to avoid
    > timing issues.
    >

    > -WD

    I can "see" all the RAM on the bootup, because the mobo does read ALL
    the 1.5 GB of the RAM. I assume all the RAM is registered. Am I right
    ?

    Penang, Sep 1, 2004
  13. Penang

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    On 28 Aug 2004 07:22:55 -0700, (Penang) put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >I need help !!
    >
    >I have a PIII system, 1.3 GHZ - actually it's a Celeron. I have 3 RAM
    >modules on it, each 512 MB, for total of 1.5 GB.
    >
    >Lately my system acted strangely, so I ran a battery of memory tests,
    >both the Norton Diagnostic and Memtest told me that the sytem RAM is
    >faulty.
    >
    >The faulty memory location is at 14XXXXXXX - sometimes 144XXXXXX,
    >sometimes 145XXXXXX, sometimes 146XXXXXX, everytime I reboot the
    >machine, the "exact location" changed.
    >
    >Since it supposed to be the RAM fault, and I wanted to see which one
    >is at fault, I change the location of the RAM module. To my surprise,
    >the "faulty location" stationed somewhere 14XXXXXXX - even when I have
    >switched the location of the 3 RAM modules.
    >
    >Now I got curious. So I plug in a 256MB module, and unplug the 3 512MB
    >module, and ran the memtest (and Norton Diagnostic) again.
    >
    >Lo and behold, the "faulty location" is at 14XXXXXXX !!
    >
    >So, now I am facing with a "faulty memory" problem but it ain't the
    >RAM !
    >
    >Can anyone please tell me what's going on ?

    Does your motherboard share memory with onboard video?

    What about other BIOS settings such as "OS/2 Onboard Memory >64M" or
    "memory holes"?

    Is your faulty location 14XXXXXX or 14XXXXXXX, ie 6 or 7 Xs? Can you
    see anything occupying this address space when you go to Control Panel
    -> System -> Computer -> Properties -> Memory?

    AFAICS, 14XXXXXX = 320MB and 14XXXXXXX = 5120MB, so this makes your
    test failure with a single 256MB module appear very strange.

    - Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar, Sep 1, 2004
  14. Penang

    Norm Dresner Guest

    > On 28 Aug 2004 07:22:55 -0700, (Penang) wrote
    >
    > >I need help !!
    > >
    > >I have a PIII system, 1.3 GHZ - actually it's a Celeron. I have 3 RAM
    > >modules on it, each 512 MB, for total of 1.5 GB.
    > >
    > >Lately my system acted strangely, so I ran a battery of memory tests,
    > >both the Norton Diagnostic and Memtest told me that the sytem RAM is
    > >faulty.
    > >
    > >The faulty memory location is at 14XXXXXXX - sometimes 144XXXXXX,
    > >sometimes 145XXXXXX, sometimes 146XXXXXX, everytime I reboot the
    > >machine, the "exact location" changed.
    > >
    > >Since it supposed to be the RAM fault, and I wanted to see which one
    > >is at fault, I change the location of the RAM module. To my surprise,
    > >the "faulty location" stationed somewhere 14XXXXXXX - even when I have
    > >switched the location of the 3 RAM modules.
    > >
    > >Now I got curious. So I plug in a 256MB module, and unplug the 3 512MB
    > >module, and ran the memtest (and Norton Diagnostic) again.
    > >
    > >Lo and behold, the "faulty location" is at 14XXXXXXX !!
    > >
    > >So, now I am facing with a "faulty memory" problem but it ain't the
    > >RAM !
    > >
    > >Can anyone please tell me what's going on ?

    Have you tried the Norton test with just one memory stick at a time? Two
    sticks at a time?

    It is possible that you have a motherboard problem and that the memory is
    fine. In many systems, signals along data and address lines couple to give
    spurious signals on [seemingly] random at [seemingly] random times.
    Sometimes this is data pattern related.

    Also, was anything else running in the system when you ran Norton? If this
    is a Windows program, have you tried it in safe mode?

    Norm

    Norm Dresner, Sep 1, 2004
  15. In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips Penang <> wrote:
    > I ran memtest86, and did what you say. Ran ALL the tests,
    > standard and extended, and memtest86 reported NO ERROR.

    Chris Brady's memtest86 is an excellent program to exhaustively
    test all memory cells. Unfortunately, it is not very intensive
    (running maximum bandwidth).

    My burnMMX program is not nearly so exhaustive, but it tries
    to be intense. I have a new `burnRAM` pgm that is even
    higher bandwidth, but I hate porting to MS-Win32.

    You might see if you can keep `burnMMX P` running for a few
    hours, or how quickly it stops (when it finds an error).

    -- Robert author `cpuburn` http://pages.sbcglobal.net/redelm

    Robert Redelmeier, Sep 1, 2004
  16. Penang

    PCR Guest

    Did anyone suggest this yet...?...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304943&Product=w98
    Computer May Reboot Continuously with More Than 1.5 GB of RAM

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q184447
    Insufficient Memory

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;253912
    "Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed

    (1) "START, Run, MSConfig, System.ini tab, [vcache] section".
    Don't just open the section; click it to highlight.
    (2) Click the "New" button
    (3) Type in: "MaxFileCache=524288"
    (4) Click "Apply" and "OK". Reboot.

    JUST, don't exceed usable RAM, as seen at "START, Run, MSInfo32"...
    376MB RAM, it says for me, because Video has grabbed away 8 MB.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,

    PCR, Sep 1, 2004
  17. Have you tried another test:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~alegr/download/memtest.htm

    Alexander Grigoriev, Sep 2, 2004
  18. PSS 253912 and 304943 apply to Win9x only, not to NT/2K/XP.

    Alexander Grigoriev, Sep 2, 2004
  19. Penang

    PCR Guest

    I don't much care about NT/2K/XP, especially XP.

    --

    "Alexander Grigoriev" <> wrote in message
    | PSS 253912 and 304943 apply to Win9x only, not to NT/2K/XP.
    |

    | "PCR" <> wrote in message
    | > Did anyone suggest this yet...?...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304943&Product=w98
    | > Computer May Reboot Continuously with More Than 1.5 GB of RAM
    | >
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q184447
    | > Insufficient Memory
    | >
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;253912
    | > "Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed
    | >
    | > (1) "START, Run, MSConfig, System.ini tab, [vcache] section".
    | > Don't just open the section; click it to highlight.
    | > (2) Click the "New" button
    | > (3) Type in: "MaxFileCache=524288"
    | > (4) Click "Apply" and "OK". Reboot.
    | >
    | > JUST, don't exceed usable RAM, as seen at "START, Run, MSInfo32"...
    | > 376MB RAM, it says for me, because Video has grabbed away 8 MB.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | >
    | > "Penang" <> wrote in message
    | > | Will Dormann <> wrote in message

    | > RAM

    | > tests,
    RAM
    | > is

    | > time.

    | > |

    PCR, Sep 2, 2004
  20. On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:27:21 -0400, Will Dormann
    >cquirke (MVP Win9x) wrote:

    >> I thought he'd done that, but if not; check mobo's manual - not all
    >> will tolerate the electrical loading of 3 x 512M DIMMs.

    >Another issue is whether or not the RAM is registered. Usually when
    >systems have lots of RAM, it's required that it be registered to avoid
    >timing issues.

    That's interesting; more on that, please? I never did figure out what
    "registered" RAM was and why it may be worth the extra cost.

    cquirke (MVP Win9x), Sep 3, 2004