Plaxo - Help or Risk

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Do any of you use PLAXO, the "online contact manager"?

A colleague if mine has just installed it on their machine so as to enable them to access their contacts when they are away from their work PC. However, they were surprised to then receive a reminder that it was someone's birthday in a few days.:confused:

When they checked on the website, it appears that "PLAXO", your friend to make life easier, had uploaded the entire content of their Outlook file, including extremely confidential information from their Calendar, Notes and Tasks folders.:eek:

Apparently, there was no clear indication that this would result from subscribing to the service during the setup phase.:eek: :eek:

Now may be this is fine if you are not worried about the security of your information, but I would like to pass on this information about the risk to as many people as possible!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Plaxo is a Huge Risk in my opinion and based on what i had read about it earlier, unfortunately I do not have any links to share here to consolidate my claim as all my finding about Plaxo were done more than a year ago. Whenever I get an invitation to provide details I just delete that mail no matter who it is from. Some of the people I know i had warned them and they complied. Some continued.

I hope those who know me here will believe me.

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Cheers Quads, good to know I'm not alone in thinking that this is somewhat of a risk!

Whats that saying about "fore-warned in fore-armed":D

Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Plaxo is a Huge Risk in my opinion and based on what i had read about it earlier, unfortunately I do not have any links to share here to consolidate my claim as all my finding about Plaxo were done more than a year ago. Whenever I get an invitation to provide details I just delete that mail no matter who it is from. Some of the people I know i had warned them and they complied. Some continued.

Quad/CITech! your so correct a mate of mine had the exact same problem:(
it took me two days to sort the problem out!!! as Plaxo not only uploaded files, it also downloaded files:mad: and stored them on his PC:confused: The reason it took so long was I had to save all his important files before Formating HDD 300Gig, it was full within 2 days after install of Plaxo:eek: prior to install he had 60% free space.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Dunp it ... ;-)

Quadophile said:

Yep ... I ignored your "invitation" and just deleted it.

Now that reminds me to chase up my lawyers about this ... I have no idea how you got hold of my personal details or email address, I was very upset and I'm seeking retributions for the inconvenience caused. :D

Pop a check in the post and we'll settle out of courts. :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I keep getting e-mails from SMS and other companies, both seem quite similar to this. The user basically gives away their e-mail details and it e-mails everyone asking them to join the same group so share contacts etc...

Very invasive, very annoying.

Ask a Question