[PL] PL2006 Program Ballot

Garrapata

PL2006 PROGRAM BALLOT
To vote for a program or programs: LEAVE ONLY THOSE PROGRAMS THAT YOU WISH TO VOTE FOR. Remove all programs that you do NOT wish to vote for.

1by1 (0003-PW)
Ad-Aware (0029-PW)
AllChars (0041-PW)
Atlantis Nova (0064-PW)
Belarc Advisor (0084-PW)
DeepBurner Free (1442-PW)
IrfanView (0391-PW)
IZArc (0365-PW)
Karen's Replicator (0406-PW)
MetaPad (0457-PW)
MP3Gain (0434-PW)
Rainlendar (2389)
Sygate Personal Firewall (0734)
TClockEx (0746-PW)
WordWeb (0862-PW)

Susan Bugher

PL2006 Ballot Summary:

223 programs on the ballot
105 ballots, 101 voters, 4450 votes
avg. votes per program = 20
Ad-Aware and Irfanview tied for the top place with 67 votes each (66
percent)

Programs are listed in alphabetical order.

[20] 1by1
[21] 2xExplorer
[20] 40tude Dialog
[13] 4DOS
[28] 7-Zip
[23] AbiWord
[67] Ad-Aware
[27] Agent Ransack
[17] All-Purpose Spell Checker (APSC)
[15] AllChars
[7] ALZip
[26] AM-DeadLink
[26] AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic (AntiVir Personal Edition)
[11] Any Password
[9] AR RAM Disk
[14] Atlantis Nova
[39] Audacity
[13] AutoHotkey
[25] Autoruns
[17] AutoStreamer
[8] AVA FIND
[31] avast!
[47] AVG Anti-Virus System
[17] AxCrypt
[38] Belarc Advisor
[12] Blender
[12] Bulk Rename Utility
[22] Calendar Magic
[14] Catfish
[21] Cathy
[45] CCleaner (Crap Cleaner)
[24] CDCheck
[43] CDex
[20] Chainsaw
[11] Clipomatic
[18] Cobian Backup
[14] ConText
[20] Convert
[11] Crypt Edit
[25] DAEMON Tools
[28] dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC)
[21] DeepBurner Free
[5] DelinvFile
[18] Dependency Walker
[7] Dexpot
[14] Dimension 4
[15] dirhtml
[14] DLExpert
[16] Drive Rescue
[11] DVDSig
[12] Easy Gallery Generator (EGG)
[37] EasyCleaner
[9] eCleaner
[25] EditPad Lite
[27] Emergency Recovery Utility NT (ERUNT)
[37] Eraser
[14] Ethereal
[8] EVE
[13] Everest Dictionary
[10] Exifer
[10] Extended Character Map
[22] F-Prot Antivirus for DOS
[24] FastStone Image Viewer
[10] FileMap by BB
[27] Filemon
[10] FileNote
[35] FileZilla
[20] FileZilla Server
[14] FLAC
[17] Foobar2000
[23] Free Agent
[14] Free Digital Camera Enhancer
[14] Free Download Manager (FDM)
[11] Frhed
[10] FTPpie
[10] General Search And Replace (GSAR)
[17] Graph Paper Printer
[18] GSpot
[17] Hamster
[25] Hosts File
[8] HoverSnap
[11] HTMSTRIP
[29] HTTRACK (WinHTTrack)
[8] IconShop
[12] IEradicator
[19] Index.dat Suite
[16] Info-Rapid Search & Replace
[17] Inno Setup
[67] IrfanView
[26] IZArc
[24] JAlbum
[17] JPEG Cleaner
[10] JR Screen Ruler
[10] JR Split File
[15] K-meleon
[21] K9
[26] Karen's Replicator
[18] KeePass Password Safe
[27] Kerio Personal Firewall
[22] KeyNote
[24] KNOPPIX
[29] LAME (compiled)
[14] LeechFTP
[9] Lister
[14] Magic Mail Monitor
[17] MD5Summer
[52] Media Player Classic
[20] Memtest86
[28] MetaPad
[5] MiKTeX
[15] MozBackup
[60] Mozilla Firefox (was Mozilla Firebird) (was Phoenix)
[41] Mozilla Thunderbird
[29] MP3Gain
[11] MultiRes
[25] MWSnap
[15] MyAlbum
[9] Net Transport
[12] Neutron
[11] nLite
[7] nnCron LITE
[27] NoteTab Light
[30] Nvu
[9] OE Reader (was MiTeC DBX Viewer)
[16] OE-Quotefix
[14] OffByOne
[8] Open Object Rexx
[51] OpenOffice.org
[48] Opera
[21] Partition Saving (was Savepart)
[17] Path Copy (PathCopy)
[24] PC Inspector File Recovery
[23] PDFCreator
[11] Pdftk - the PDF Toolkit
[19] PE Builder
[18] Pegasus Mail
[33] PhotoFiltre
[20] Pixia
[15] POP Peeper
[14] POPFile
[12] Power-Grab (PowerGrab 2002)
[17] PowerDesk
[11] PowerPro
[34] Process Explorer
[16] Process Guard (ProcessGuard)
[15] Programmer's File Editor (PFE)
[20] PSPad
[10] PUI (Program Uninstallation Information)
[17] Push That Freakin' Button (PTFB)
[18] Quintessential Player (QCD)
[10] R
[10] Ragtime Solo
[23] Rainlendar
[8] Ramdrive.EXE Tools
[21] Ranish Partition Manager
[24] RegCleaner
[30] RegMon
[37] RegSeeker
[11] ReplaceEm (was BK ReplaceEm)
[20] Resource Hacker
[11] RUNit
[10] SciTE
[17] Script Defender
[9] SeaMonkey (was Mozilla)
[8] Siren
[20] Skype
[7] SlickRun
[16] SmartFTP
[65] Spybot Search & Destroy
[45] SpywareBlaster
[24] Start-Up Monitor (Startup Monitor)
[34] Startup Control Panel
[26] Sygate Personal Firewall
[29] TClockEx
[11] TDiff (TextDiff)
[22] The Font Thing
[33] The Gimp
[28] The Proxomitron
[14] THE Rename
[11] TheSage
[28] TMPGEnc
[31] Total Uninstall
[22] TrackerV3
[9] Transparent
[11] Traybar
[22] Treepad Lite and Treepad Asia
[21] TrueCrypt
[11] TUGZip
[48] TWEAK UI
[15] UK's Kalender
[15] Ulead Gif Animator
[30] Ultimate Boot CD for Windows (UBCD4Win) (was Windows Ultimate Boot CD)
[21] Unlocker
[9] VanBasco's Karaoke Player
[21] VirtualDub
[9] Visual Thought
[22] VLC (was VideoLAN Client)
[8] War FTP Daemon (WarFTPd)
[10] WAssociate
[10] Wherever Change Directory (wcd)
[34] WinAmp Classic
[9] WinAudit
[12] WinDirStat
[23] WinDriversBackup Personal Edition
[16] Wink
[24] WinPatrol
[27] WordWeb
[12] WorldTime
[19] X-Fonter
[28] X-Setup Pro (was Xteq X-Setup)
[9] XanaNews
[22] Xenu's Link Sleuth
[14] XMPlay
[7] XMS.EMS RAMdisk
[26] Xnews
[16] XnView
[8] XOSL
[13] Xplorer²
[21] XXCopy
[21] Yankee Clipper III
[18] ZipGenius
[33] ZoneAlarm (Zone Alarm)
[13] µTorrent

==========

ggrothendieck

Susan said:
223 programs on the ballot
105 ballots, 101 voters, 4450 votes
avg. votes per program = 20
Ad-Aware and Irfanview tied for the top place with 67 votes each (66 percent)

Here are some more statistics based on
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/Archives/2006PL/PL2006ProgramVote.txt

This shows show many programs (P) got each number of votes (V),
e.g. 13 programs got 1 vote and 2 programs got 67 votes. Last
year no program with 3 or fewer votes was added to the PW list,
every program with 8 or more votes was added and programs with
4, 5, 6 or 7 votes were or were not added presumably depending on
how crowded their category was.

V P
1 13
2 1
5 2
6 1
7 5
8 9
9 11
10 16
11 14
12 8
13 5
14 16
15 8
16 8
17 12
18 7
19 4
20 10
21 11
22 7
23 6
24 7
25 6
26 6
27 7
28 5
29 4
30 2
31 2
33 3
34 3
35 1
37 3
38 1
39 1
41 1
43 1
45 2
46 1
48 2
51 1
52 1
59 1
60 1
67 2

Susan Bugher

Here are some more statistics based on
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/Archives/2006PL/PL2006ProgramVote.txt

This shows show many programs (P) got each number of votes (V),
e.g. 13 programs got 1 vote and 2 programs got 67 votes.

How are you doing the analysis? The lowest number of votes any program
received was 5 - see the distribution below - or the nominations page:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/2006PL-Nominations.php?sortby=(V)

Last
year no program with 3 or fewer votes was added to the PW list,
every program with 8 or more votes was added and programs with
4, 5, 6 or 7 votes were or were not added presumably depending on
how crowded their category was.

erm. . . every program with 10 or more votes was added. See:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/2005PL-Nominations.php?sortby=(V)

PL2006 voting distribution:

5 votes 2 programs
6 votes 0 programs
7 votes 5 programs
8 votes 9 programs
9 votes 11 programs
10 votes 14 programs
11 votes 16 programs
12 votes 8 programs
13 votes 5 programs
14 votes 15 programs
15 votes 9 programs
16 votes 7 programs
17 votes 13 programs
18 votes 7 programs
19 votes 3 programs
20 votes 10 programs
21 votes 11 programs
22 votes 8 programs
23 votes 5 programs
24 votes 8 programs
25 votes 5 programs
26 votes 6 programs
27 votes 6 programs
28 votes 6 programs
29 votes 4 programs
30 votes 3 programs
31 votes 2 programs
32 votes 0 programs
33 votes 3 programs
34 votes 3 programs
35 votes 1 programs
36 votes 0 programs
37 votes 3 programs
38 votes 1 programs
39 votes 1 programs
40 votes 0 programs
41 votes 1 programs
42 votes 0 programs
43 votes 1 programs
44 votes 0 programs
45 votes 2 programs
46 votes 0 programs
47 votes 1 programs
48 votes 2 programs
49 votes 0 programs
50 votes 0 programs
51 votes 1 programs
52 votes 1 programs
53 votes 0 programs
54 votes 0 programs
55 votes 0 programs
56 votes 0 programs
57 votes 0 programs
58 votes 0 programs
59 votes 0 programs
60 votes 1 programs
61 votes 0 programs
62 votes 0 programs
63 votes 0 programs
64 votes 0 programs
65 votes 1 programs
66 votes 0 programs
67 votes 2 programs

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

ggrothendieck

How are you doing the analysis? The lowest number of votes any program
received was 5 - see the distribution below - or the nominations page:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/2006PL-Nominations.php?sortby=(V)

I am using an R program. I just double checked it based on your
comment and
the problem appears to be that I was assuming that each time a program
was
listed in the txt file on the PWH site:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/Archives/2006PL/PL2006ProgramVote.txt

that it was listed exactly in the same way but I see that that is not
the
case. For example here are the lines for 7-Zip. Note that the 11th
line
has a ">" character after the tab but no other line does. Thus it
would
have counted that occurrence as one vote for a different program.

[1,] "Aaron <[email protected]>\t7-Zip
(0011-PW)"
[2,] "Ark <[email protected]>\t7-Zip (0011-PW)"

[3,] "Ash <[email protected]>\t7-Zip (0011-PW)"

[4,] "bambam <[email protected]>\t7-Zip (0011-PW)"

[5,] "Bill Day <[email protected]>\t7-Zip (0011-PW)"

[6,] "Bjorn Abelli\" <[email protected]>\t7-Zip
(0011-PW)"
[7,] "Bjorn Simonsen <[email protected]>\t7-Zip (0011-PW)"

[8,] "CARP\" <[email protected]>\t7-Zip (0011-PW)"

[9,] "Dave <[email protected]>\t7-Zip (0011-PW)"

[10,] "domsters <\"domsters \"@domsters.com>\t7-Zip (0011-PW)"

[11,] "Frankie Ogdan\" <[email protected]>\t> 7-Zip (0011-PW)"

[12,] "Henry The Mole\" <[email protected]>\t7-Zip
(0011-PW)"
[13,] "Iain Cheyne\" <[email protected]>\t7-Zip (0011-PW)"

[14,] "Jack D. Russell, Sr.\" <[email protected]>\t7-Zip
(0011-PW)"
[15,] "Jim Daniel <[email protected]>\t7-Zip (0011-PW)"

[16,] "John Fitzsimons <[email protected]>\t7-Zip
(0011-PW)"
[17,] "JP Loken\" <[email protected]>\t7-Zip (0011-PW)"

[18,] "Kurt <[email protected]>\t7-Zip (0011-PW)"

[19,] "Lew/+Silat\" <[email protected]>\t7-Zip
(0011-PW)"
[20,] "Marc\" <[email protected]>\t7-Zip (0011-PW)"

[21,] "Marten Kemp <[email protected]>\t7-Zip
(0011-PW)"
[22,] "mike ring <[email protected]>\t7-Zip (0011-PW)"

[23,] "(e-mail address removed)\t7-Zip (0011-PW)"

[24,] "R. Amuzu\" <[email protected]>\t7-Zip
(0011-PW)"
[25,] "(e-mail address removed)\t7-Zip (0011-PW)"

[26,] "Ulrich Neumann <[email protected]>\t7-Zip (0011-PW)"

[27,] "Vegard Krog Petersen <[email protected]>\t7-Zip
(0011-PW)"
[28,] "[audiogalaxy]\" <[email protected]>\t7-Zip
(0011-PW)"

I have modified my script to use the Program ID instead of the entire
label
(where the Program ID is the portion in parentheses). Using that
modification
it gives the same value as yours:

Votes Programs

5 2
7 5
8 9
9 11
10 14
11 16
12 8
13 5
14 15
15 9
16 7
17 13
18 7
19 3
20 10
21 11
22 8
23 5
24 8
25 5
26 6
27 6
28 6
29 4
30 3
31 2
33 3
34 3
35 1
37 3
38 1
39 1
41 1
43 1
45 2
47 1
48 2
51 1
52 1
60 1
65 1
67 2

Here is the revised R program in case you want to try it yourself.
Just start up R and copy and paste this into it:

# R program to read voting data from pricelesswarehome.org site
# and calculate certain statistics

# read data from pricelesswarehome.org site and extract
# data lines, viz. those lines with email addresses
URL <-
"http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/Archives/2006PL/PL2006ProgramVote.txt"
L <- grep("@", readLines(URL), value = TRUE)

# reread those lines as a table.
# Tabs separate fields. Quotes are not special.
Progs <- read.table(textConnection(L), sep = "\t", quote = "", as.is =
TRUE,
col.names = c("Voter", "Program"))

# the ProgID is the portion within parentheses
# First line removes everything up to and including (
# Second line removes everything including and after )
ProgID <- sub(".*[(]|", "", Progs$Program)
ProgID <- sub("[)].*", "", ProgID)

# double check the number of votes (4450), voters (101) and programs
(238)
# against numbers Susan published on alt.comp.freeware in thread
# [PL] PL2006 Program Ballot - Votes

# number of votes
length(ProgID)

# number of voters
length(unique(Progs$Voter))

# number of programs
length(unique(ProgID))

# number of programs with each number of votes
# e.g. 13 programs had 1 vote, 2 programs had 67 votes
tab <- table(table(ProgID))
plot(tab)
t(t(tab))

Vegard Krog Petersen

The voting thread was *very* clean this year. Many thanks to all. :) :) :)

Susan

Thank *you*, Susan! :)

regards from

--
Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway

http://vegard2.no -
Solitaire MahJongg guide, Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire,
Freeware Logo & symbol, Halma & Chinese Checkers,
Pachisi & Ludo, Freeware Solitaire, My fishy site (fishing
games), a.c.f.g information, Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb
18+ sites: Firefoxy, Adult Solitaire, Fishy Pictures,
Sexy Chess, Sexy Librarians, Sexy Football

Susan Bugher

I am using an R program. I just double checked it based on your
comment and
the problem appears to be that I was assuming that each time a program
was
listed in the txt file on the PWH site:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/Archives/2006PL/PL2006ProgramVote.txt

that it was listed exactly in the same way but I see that that is not
the
case.

Yup - bad assumption. ;) There were 223 programs on the ballot, there
are 241 unique "program names" in that list (due to minor variations in
some of the names).
I have modified my script to use the Program ID instead of the entire
label
(where the Program ID is the portion in parentheses). Using that
modification
it gives the same value as yours:

Good. :) If you try that method on the 2005 PL be warned - IIRC I
screwed up and had two programs with the same ID number - when I set up
the counting formulas I had to add other info to discriminate between
those two.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Rob

1by1 (0003-PW)
AbiWord (0024-PW)
Autoruns (1146)
avast! (0897-PW)
Bulk Rename Utility (1236)
CDCheck (0108-PW)
CDex (0109-PW)
Chainsaw (0127-PW)

Larry Sabo

Susan Bugher said:
The votes are in and tallied. Preliminary Pricelessware selections will
be posted later today or tomorrow.

I've uploaded a file with a record of the votes that were cast - listed
alphabetically by email address.

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ftp/Archives/2006PL/PL2006ProgramVote.txt

If I made a mistake or MISSED your ballot please let me know ASAP.

The voting thread was *very* clean this year. Many thanks to all. :) :) :)

Susan

Thanks for all your efforts, Susan. My vote was missed, in spite of
several tries, thanks to my news server (free.terabit.news). Below is
what I had sent 02-Nov-05, but was never posted...

Regards,
Larry

----------------
Subject: [PL] PL2006 Program Ballot
Newsgroups: Tera
Ad-Aware (0029-PW)
AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic (AntiVir Personal Edition) (0055-PW)
Atlantis Nova (0064-PW)
AVA FIND (0022)
avast! (0897-PW)
CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) (3034)
Cobian Backup (0142)
Crypt Edit (0171-PW)
DeepBurner Free (1442-PW)
Dimension 4 (0206-PW)
Emergency Recovery Utility NT (ERUNT) (0245-PW)
FastStone Image Viewer (3592)
FileNote (0279)
Free Agent (0295-PW)
Hosts File (0351-PW)
IZArc (0365-PW)
Kerio Personal Firewall (0409-PW)
Memtest86 (0453-PW)
MultiRes (0480-PW)
Neutron (0498-PW)
Nvu (2199-PW)
OffByOne (0512-PW)
OpenOffice.org (0520-PW)
Opera (2220)
Path Copy (PathCopy) (0553-PW)
PC Inspector File Recovery (0529-PW)
PDFCreator (0532)
PE Builder (1167-PW)
PhotoFiltre (2286-PW)
POP Peeper (0535-PW)
PowerDesk (0578-PW)
Process Explorer (0586-PW)
RegSeeker (0626-PW)
RUNit (0611-PW)
Spybot Search & Destroy (0710-PW)
SpywareBlaster (0711-PW)
Startup Control Panel (0719-PW)
TWEAK UI (0749-PW)
Ultimate Boot CD for Windows (UBCD4Win) (was Windows Ultimate Boot CD)
(3476-PW)
Unlocker (3997)
WinDriversBackup Personal Edition (0845-PW)
Wink (2902-PW)
WinPatrol (0850-PW)
WordWeb (0862-PW)
XnView (0877-PW)
ZipGenius (0889-PW)
************

Sietse Fliege

There were 12 posts in this thread on that day (7 Nov).
All of them by posters with unfamiliair names.

isileth, (e-mail address removed), Prozac, Maurizio Catalano, Malossi47,
Aragon, KinetiK, (e-mail address removed), Danix, LittleEndian,
(e-mail address removed), Albirosso

Some of them starting in Italian with "Susan Bugher ha scritto:" .
All of them support ZipGenius, alone or amongst other programs.

Looks to me like someone was desperately trying to get ZipGenius in.

dansheen

Susan said:
PL2006 PROGRAM BALLOT

VOTING (1 week): November 1 - November 7, 2005

The Nominations page is here:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/2006PL-Nominations.php

NOTE: There is no Ware Ballot this year.

NOTE: If you vote and later wish to vote for additional programs cast a
second ballot. Both ballots will be counted.

NOTE: Write-in votes are not allowed.
To vote for a program or programs: LEAVE ONLY THOSE PROGRAMS THAT YOU
WISH TO VOTE FOR. Remove all programs that you do NOT wish to vote for.

2xExplorer (0007-PW)>
All-Purpose Spell Checker (APSC) (0040-PW))
ALZip (4001)
AM-DeadLink (0017-PW)>
Any Password (0056)
Audacity (0069-PW)>
AutoStreamer (3478)
AVA FIND (0022)
avast! (0897-PW)
AVG Anti-Virus System (0023-PW)>
CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) (3034)
CDex (0109-PW)>
dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC) (0898-PW)>
Dependency Walker (0197-PW)
Emergency Recovery Utility NT (ERUNT) (0245-PW)>
FastStone Image Viewer (3592)>
FileZilla (0281-PW)>
FLAC (4002)>
GSpot (0311-PW)>
IrfanView (0391-PW)
IZArc (0365-PW)>
KeyNote (0410-PW))
LAME (compiled) (0416-PW)
LeechFTP (0422-PW)>
MD5Summer (2024)
Media Player Classic (0449-PW)>
MozBackup (2110-PW)
Mozilla Firefox (was Mozilla Firebird) (was Phoenix) (0473-PW)
Mozilla Thunderbird (0474-PW)>
Net Transport (2161)>
NoteTab Light (0503-PW)>
OpenOffice.org (0520-PW)>
PhotoFiltre (2286-PW)
Quintessential Player (QCD) (0607-PW)>
Rainlendar (2389)>
Script Defender (0658-PW)>
Spybot Search &amp; Destroy (0710-PW)
SpywareBlaster (0711-PW)>
TMPGEnc (0748-PW)
Total Uninstall (0777-PW)>
Ultimate Boot CD for Windows (UBCD4Win) (was Windows Ultimate Boot CD)
(3476-PW)>
VirtualDub (0812-PW)
WinAmp Classic (0844-PW)>
XMPlay (0868)>
Yankee Clipper III (0881-PW)
ZipGenius (0889-PW)
ZoneAlarm (Zone Alarm) (0893-PW)
µTorrent (4015)

************

bambam

There were 12 posts in this thread on that day (7 Nov).
All of them by posters with unfamiliair names.

isileth, (e-mail address removed), Prozac, Maurizio Catalano, Malossi47,
Aragon, KinetiK, (e-mail address removed), Danix, LittleEndian,
(e-mail address removed), Albirosso

Some of them starting in Italian with "Susan Bugher ha scritto:" .
All of them support ZipGenius, alone or amongst other programs.

Looks to me like someone was desperately trying to get ZipGenius in.

Yes, I noticed a few of these as well, looks suspicious. All the ones I
noticed were posted through google groups as well. The six that I noticed
are from these posters-

"Danix" <[email protected]>
(e-mail address removed)
"Aragon" <[email protected]>
"Malossi47" <[email protected]>
"Prozac" <[email protected]>
"isileth" <[email protected]>

Didn't feel the need to munge the addresses as they didn't in their posts.

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 02:47:42 +0100, Sietse Fliege wrote:

[ZipGenius (0889-PW)]
There were 12 posts in this thread on that day (7 Nov).
All of them by posters with unfamiliair names.

Yes. Noted that, too.
Some of them starting in Italian with "Susan Bugher ha scritto:" .

Remind: The program is of Italian origin. Therefore one can understand
the program being especially popular in Italy. Suspicious seems the
concentration you wrote about, though.

First I thought of some kind of 'beg for support' notice inside the
ZipGenius forum. They did this last year to get ZipGenius onto the
PW list. But a quick search didn't come up with such a post.

Another possibility (which I now think most likely) is arranged voting
of a group: Somebody may have talked his/her comrades (classmates,...)
into voting. That would be gray area because all those people might
read acf on a regular basis. And all of them might like ZipGenius. In
that case the votes would have to be counted as 'okay'.

I don't know if one can forge NNTP-Posting-Host when posting via
GoogleGroups. Maybe someone using that service can set this straight?
If that isn't (too easily) possible, than all posts in question come
from different sources. The IP addresses even refer to different
providers (Telecom Italia, IUNet Infostrada) and to different setups
(dial-up 'Net' / ADSL). Further on, different net areas seem to be
involved. There are references to ADSL-3 and ADSL-5 of Telecom Italia
and to BNET37, BNET41, BNET47 of IUNet.

Especially interesting is klingon666. Although the post seems of
Italian origin ('Susan Bugher ha scritto') it is sent from Japan
(Japan Network Information Center). - If the Posting-Host IP inside
the header is okay.

Although the posts also could have been set via hacked systems, I
don't think that too likely.
Looks to me like someone was desperately trying to get ZipGenius in.

If a single person sent all those posts, a considerable amount of
work was necessary. Maybe we should honor that? ;-)

BeAr

Mike Bourke

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson said:
[...]

I agree that at first glance this appears to be suspicious. But then a
couple of afterthoughts come to mind.

(1) I suspect that the italian phrase (Susan Bugher ha scritto:") is a
direct translation of "Susan Bugher wrote:" - which some newsgroup software
automatically adds when replying to a previous message. Why, I can see two
instances of that phrase at the top of this very message. So the grounds for
suspicion begin to look a little shaky - all that can be said is that
someone has Italian set as their preferred language on their computer. This
makes a lot of sense in light of the excellent detective work by BeAr. So I
would have to consider these genuine votes until proven otherwise.

(2) The inferance was made that people who are not regular readers of the
group should not be entitled to vote. This is a more difficult question -
what makes a regular contributor to the group more valuable than someone who
occasionally drops in (even if it's at the prompting of someone else for a
specific reason)? The only answer I can find is that irregular group
participants arouse suspicions of collusion or vote-rigging, as in this
case, simply because they are not recognised as regular participants. This
seems to be circular logic at its finest!
I would submit the suggestion that even if this was the only freeware
they knew and/or liked, and even if they were not regular participants or
even regular lurkers, their votes be counted just like everyone elses - if
they consider the program to be Pricelessware and go to the effort of
Voting.
This, ultimately, is a rephrasing of BeAr's conclusion - but on firmer
ground as to resaons.

And yet.... The definition of Pricelessware, which (from memory) reads "The
best freeware as voted by the participants of Alt.Comp.Freeware" or words to
that effect comes back to haunt me. Is participation, to the extent of
voting for a single program in the PW process, participation enough to
qualify them?
This is one of the hidden benefits of the "challenge to nomination"
process introduced this year. If there was anything seriously wrong with the
program, if anyone in fact had reservations about it being Pricelessware, it
would have been opposed. By offering a means of overruling a nomination, no
matter how well supported by fraudulent or write-in votes, it protects the
cache of being Pricelessware.
In other words, it wasn't challenged, so it must be presumed to be good
enough to be nominated and votes for it registered. That means that the
votes cast have to be counted - even if they are from lurkers whose sole
participation for the year is casting that particular vote or first-time
visitors.
And that answers the original question - and the answer is Yes, because
the only way the votes can be considered valid is if that level of activity
is good enough..

Mike Bourke

zipgenius

Sietse Fliege ha scritto:
There were 12 posts in this thread on that day (7 Nov).
All of them by posters with unfamiliair names.

isileth, (e-mail address removed), Prozac, Maurizio Catalano, Malossi47,
Aragon, KinetiK, (e-mail address removed), Danix, LittleEndian,
(e-mail address removed), Albirosso

Some of them starting in Italian with "Susan Bugher ha scritto:" .
All of them support ZipGenius, alone or amongst other programs.

Looks to me like someone was desperately trying to get ZipGenius in.

Hello.
I usually don't interfere with the PW annual ballot but this suspect is
really hurting. They are all ZipGenius italian users and - at the same
time - they are all users of an I.T. website where I am one of the
admins ( http://www.wininizio.it ). One of them discovered the PW
ballot on the last day and spread the word among these people.
Also, if someone is suspecting that klingon666's message is a fake vote
because has an italian part of his message even if he is writing from
japan, then he is wrong at all: he is an italian teacher living and
working in Japan.
The pricelessware list is almost unknown in Italy: very few italian
internet users have ever heard of that but this time it happened: some
italians have discovered it and wanted to promote an italian product.
If you feel that having users that love a product and want to promote
it everywhere is evil, then remove ZipGenius from the PW List and
CD-ROM distribution, please.

Bye.

Matteo Riso
http://www.zipgenius.it

Susan Bugher

Rob said:
1by1 (0003-PW)
AbiWord (0024-PW)
Autoruns (1146)
avast! (0897-PW)
Bulk Rename Utility (1236)
CDCheck (0108-PW)
CDex (0109-PW)
Chainsaw (0127-PW)

November 1 - November 7, 2005 Voting period

Your ballot will not be counted as it was posted on November 9. Note:
all the programs you wished to vote for *are* PL2006 selections. :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

jb

There were 12 posts in this thread on that day (7 Nov).
All of them by posters with unfamiliair names.

isileth, (e-mail address removed), Prozac, Maurizio Catalano, Malossi47,
Aragon, KinetiK, (e-mail address removed), Danix, LittleEndian,
(e-mail address removed), Albirosso

Some of them starting in Italian with "Susan Bugher ha scritto:" .
All of them support ZipGenius, alone or amongst other programs.

Looks to me like someone was desperately trying to get ZipGenius in.

It did look fishy, but I downloaded it and ZipGenius is pretty darn
good. My only complaint is that any action is instantly written to the
archive file.