[PL] PL2005 DESKTOP

Susan Bugher

DESKTOP
This thread is for review and comments.

The PL2005 Nominations page is here:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/2005PL-Nominations.php

Programs that are currently eligible for nomination are listed below.

ActivIcons (#0028-PW)
AI RoboForm (#0015-PW)
AutoSizer (#0072-PW)
CLCL (#0110-n)
Effective Desktop (#1549)
HoverSnap (#1806)
MouseImp (#0468-PW)
MultiRes (#0480-PW)
MWSnap (#0437-PW)
PowerPro (#0581-PW)
PrintKey 2000 (#0584-PW)
Push That Freakin' Button (PTFB) (#0594-PW)
RunFast (#3441)
RUNit (#0611-PW)
SlickRun (#0684-n)
The Wonderful Icon (TWI) (#2671)
TypeItIn (#0795-PW)
URL2BMP (#0796-PW)
Yankee Clipper III (#0881-PW)

*****************

Susan

Susan Bugher

Reposted from another thread:
Gabriele Neukam wrote:

So it does...

I'd never noticed before; I so wish it had a help file of some sort.

CLCL's description is here:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/PL2005DESKTOP.php#0110-n

If the primary use for CLCLC is as a Clipboard Extender I suggest we
change the subcategory.

"Comments" - about its screen capture capability and its lack of a help
file are probably advisable.

Yes/no/suggested language for a "Comment"?

Susan

omega

Susan Bugher said:
Reposted from another thread:

CLCL's description is here:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/PL2005DESKTOP.php#0110-n

If the primary use for CLCLC is as a Clipboard Extender I suggest we
change the subcategory.

"Comments" - about its screen capture capability and its lack of a help
file are probably advisable.

Yes/no/suggested language for a "Comment"?

About the comments field, my comments:

On screen capture capability being noted, I vote "Yes."

Regarding warning about the lack of help file, my initial reaction,
strong, is to vote "No." The reason is because it's extremely frequent
for freeware, often very good freeware [1], to not include help.[2]

If CLCL makes Pricelessware, and someone finds, or creates, a doc
outlining its use, for upload to the web, perhaps that would make for
a good supplementary link in its PL description...

_________
[1]
Frequent in the land of very good freeware, and even with "The Very Best
Freeware." Regmagik. :) It's never included even line #1 for a how-to...

[2]
Many programmers find that activity unnatural, writing help documentation.
Shareware programmers have the budget to outsource. Freeware programmers,
if they don't stop and force themselves into doing it on their own, they
have to hope some devoted user volunteers for them. Else, leave it left
undone, and focus on coding the program.

omega

omega said:
Susan Bugher said:
CLCL's description is here:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/PL2005DESKTOP.php#0110-n

"Comments" - about its screen capture capability and its lack of a help
file are probably advisable.

Regarding warning about the lack of help file, my initial reaction,
strong, is to vote "No." The reason is because it's extremely frequent
for freeware, often very good freeware [1], to not include help.[2]

Think about the door you'd open. If you did the helpfile comment with CLCL,
you'd need to do it with all PL noms across the board. Like add an extra
field, for "Help File Included?"

And even that, it's not a boolean field. Some programs have pretty much
zerio how-to documentation. Then some have about one paragraph howto, in
the readme. Then some have the bulk of their useful information found on
the web. Then some do have a genuine helpfile, but it's been created
through a machine translator, and you have to read it upside-down and
sideways to make it out. :)

I'd see it good to go this road, instead:

In the case of those programs where we're aware that they come with
a full and impressive helpfile, then include a comment in their
description, which mentions that feature....

omega

[Message One, transplanted]
: Frank Delamarre <[email protected]>
: Subject: Re: Ping Susan: CLCL
:
: It's not a screen capture program!
:
: You can't mark a part of the screen with CLCL and capture it, unlike
: screen capture utilities. It's a clipboard extender for text and
: pictures, which answers the question of the OP. In this case
: PrintScreen makes essentially a picture of the whole screen and places
: it into the clipboard.

[Message Two, from this thread]
Susan Bugher said:
CLCL's description is here:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/PL2005DESKTOP.php#0110-n

If the primary use for CLCLC is as a Clipboard Extender I suggest we
change the subcategory.

It belongs nestled next to YC3. Clipboard Extenders with support for
graphics.

That makes for a special class; there are a number of payware - but only
a few freeware - clipboard extenders that feature the extended clipboards
format support (types of text /plus/ graphics).

I guess the one thing to think about is whether those who would be oriented
to use CLCL primarily for text will be aware of its presence, if they are
browsing only the text clipboard extenders. I think we have here one of
those cross-ref needs...

MLC

_omega_, sabato 09/ott/2004:
I'd see it good to go this road, instead:

In the case of those programs where we're aware that they come with
a full and impressive helpfile, then include a comment in their
description, which mentions that feature....

I agree with you on this, and also with your
"It belongs nestled next to YC3. Clipboard Extenders with support for
graphics."
about CLCL collocation.

I think it's helpful to specify the capabilities of the clipboard extenders,
if only text format or not. I am, for example, interested only on text, but
only yesterday I found out Clipomatic that uses only 140 KB of memory, while
the others I tried go to 4 MB.

Susan Bugher

MLC said:
_omega_, sabato 09/ott/2004:

I agree with you on this, and also with your
"It belongs nestled next to YC3. Clipboard Extenders with support for
graphics."
about CLCL collocation.

I think it's helpful to specify the capabilities of the clipboard extenders,
if only text format or not. I am, for example, interested only on text, but
only yesterday I found out Clipomatic that uses only 140 KB of memory, while
the others I tried go to 4 MB.

I've changed CLCL's subcategory (thanks for bringing that up) and added
this a comment in the description:

CLCL is clipboard caching utility. All clipboard formats are supported.
Template can be registered. Pop-up menu is displayed by "Alt+C." Menu
can be customized. Item is paste automatically. Picture is displayed on
a menu. Tool tip is displayed on a menu. The format to leave and the
format to save can be set up. The ignored window can be set up. The
paste key for every window can be set up. Function is extensible with
plug-in. COMMENTS: Clipboard extender for text and images; also does
screen captures.

Are further changes needed?

Susan

jo

Susan said:
I've changed CLCL's subcategory (thanks for bringing that up) and added
this a comment in the description:

CLCL is clipboard caching utility. All clipboard formats are supported.
Template can be registered. Pop-up menu is displayed by "Alt+C." Menu
can be customized. Item is paste automatically. Picture is displayed on
a menu. Tool tip is displayed on a menu. The format to leave and the
format to save can be set up. The ignored window can be set up. The
paste key for every window can be set up. Function is extensible with
plug-in. COMMENTS: Clipboard extender for text and images; also does
screen captures.

Are further changes needed?

Er, it doesn't do screen caps. It merely accepts the clipboard content
when the PrintScreen key is pressed.

And it is also a good app launcher. The default of Alt+T brings up a
configurable app launch menu.

Susan Bugher

jo said:
Susan Bugher wrote:

Er, it doesn't do screen caps. It merely accepts the clipboard content
when the PrintScreen key is pressed.

And it is also a good app launcher. The default of Alt+T brings up a
configurable app launch menu.

Try two:

COMMENTS: Clipboard extender for text and images. Recognizes PrintScreen
(when the Windows PrintScreen key is pressed CLCL stores the contents
of Windows clipboard). A good app launcher (Alt+T brings up a
configurable app launch menu).

OR. . . your turn. . . :)

Susan

jo

Susan said:
Try two:

COMMENTS: Clipboard extender for text and images. Recognizes PrintScreen
(when the Windows PrintScreen key is pressed CLCL stores the contents
of Windows clipboard). A good app launcher (Alt+T brings up a
configurable app launch menu).

OR. . . your turn. . . :)

CLCL is a clipboard caching utility. All clipboard formats are supported
including images, text, folders etc. Stores screen caps when the
PrintScreen key is pressed. Plugins extend funtionality to include quote
stripping, case changing, etc. Clipboard cache can be accessed by mouse
or hot key.
CLCL can also be configured as an app launcher, with a hotkey bringing
up a launch menu wherever the cursor is positioned.

OK?

Susan Bugher

jo said:
CLCL is a clipboard caching utility. All clipboard formats are supported
including images, text, folders etc. Stores screen caps when the
PrintScreen key is pressed. Plugins extend funtionality to include quote
stripping, case changing, etc. Clipboard cache can be accessed by mouse
or hot key.
CLCL can also be configured as an app launcher, with a hotkey bringing
up a launch menu wherever the cursor is positioned.

OK?

Thanks for the help. :) I took the first sentence out - that's already
in the author's blurb ("Comments" are by contributed ACF participants).

So we now have:

CLCL is clipboard caching utility. All clipboard formats are supported.
Template can be registered. Pop-up menu is displayed by "Alt+C." Menu
can be customized. Item is paste automatically. Picture is displayed on
a menu. Tool tip is displayed on a menu. The format to leave and the
format to save can be set up. The ignored window can be set up. The
paste key for every window can be set up. Function is extensible with
plug-in. *COMMENTS*: All clipboard formats are supported including
images, text, folders etc. Stores screen caps when the PrintScreen key
is pressed. Plugins extend funtionality to include quote stripping, case
changing, etc. Clipboard cache can be accessed by mouse or hot key. CLCL
can also be configured as an app launcher, with a hotkey bringing up a
launch menu wherever the cursor is positioned.

A bit redundant perhaps but *informative* and that's the main objective.
:)

Susan